Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duckdealer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Hi I'm currently trying my best to learn and write a simple applescript. I basically want to open firefox with two new tabs, this bit I have managed but the part I am finding tricky is I want there to be a variable that if Firefox is already open then two new tabs are opened in the current window without relaunching the whole program again.

Is Firefox open?
Yes - two new tabs
No - launch Firefox, open two new tabs

I'm sure it's simple but I could really use some help.

Thanks

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
Hi I'm currently trying my best to learn and write a simple applescript. I basically want to open firefox with two new tabs, this bit I have managed but the part I am finding tricky is I want there to be a variable that if Firefox is already open then two new tabs are opened in the current window without relaunching the whole program again.

Is Firefox open?
Yes - two new tabs

I'm sure it's simple but I could really use some help.

Thanks

Couple of ways of doing this. You can check if Firefox is running or you can count the windows of Firefox.

Examples :

Code:
tell application "System Events"
	if (exists process "Terminal") then
		display dialog "Terminal is running"
		-- Make two new tabs in window 1 or current window
	else
		--  Activate Firefox
		tell application "Terminal" to activate
		-- Open two new tabs
	end if
end tell

Code:
tell application "Safari"
		if (count of windows) is 1 then
		make new document
	end if
end tell

Note : The examples are with Terminal and Safari but it would get you started. I don't have/use Firefox so I couldn't look into the dictionary of the application if it supports current window. Normally all windows have an index property so you can address them like window 1 window 2 etc.

Last edited:

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
Is Firefox open?
Yes - two new tabs

I think a third option is to use the reopen command, which is described as follows:

Many applications also support the reopen command, which reactivates a running application or launches it if it isn’t running. If the application is already running, this command has the same effect as double-clicking the application icon in the Finder. Each application determines how it will implement the reopen command—some may perform their usual startup procedures, such as opening a new window, while others perform no additional operations.

I haven't tried this command with Firefox, but it seems to work with most applications. It's easy to check with the following:

Code:
tell application "Firefox"
   reopen
   --commands to open new tabs
   activate
end tell

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.