Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

348516_larger.png
American Express is offering a $5 statement credit to users who spend $5 on the iTunes and App Stores by April 30th. The rebate, part of AMEX's "Offers for You" promotion, requires that users opt-in to the offer on the American Express website, and then spend at least $5 on iTunes by the end of the month.

AMEX cardholders need to ensure that their card is set up as the default billing method within iTunes itself. Once a $5 purchase is made and charged to the American Express card, a $5 statement credit will appear on their account.
OFFER DETAILS

Spend a total of $5 or more on iTunes using your enrolled American Express Card by 4/30/14 and get a one-time $5 statement credit.
American Express runs a number of these promotions, though availability does vary based on previous card usage. Some users may not be able to see the iTunes promotion because of how they use their card, for example.

Article Link: American Express Offers $5 off a $5 iTunes/App Store Purchase

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
Yes, I already signed up for this 2 days ago, Amex is the best :D

Spend $5 to get a $5 credit, that was easy (even though my AMEX is already my iTunes account default card)

Last edited:

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Super smart and strategic move from AMEX. They want your AMEX to be the primary card associated to your iTunes profile.

Will pay off. Well played ;)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Nice. I'd like to take advantage of this but too bad my account is always preloaded with gift card credit anyway. I'd have to spend it all first before I could actually charge my card.

I wish Apple offered alternative payment options in the store for this very reason.

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
Nice. I'd like to take advantage of this but too bad my account is always preloaded with gift card credit anyway. I'd have to spend it all first before I could actually charge my card.

I wish Apple offered alternative payment options in the store for this very reason.

Same issue I have but I believe if you buy a gift card on iTunes it uses your card and not your credit. Maybe buy a $5+ gift card and get the statement credit? I'll try that later once they confirm enrollment on my card first.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Did anyone else have success with this website? I was unable to even register with my AMEX card due to the fact that my card was "handled by FIA", whatever that means.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Did anyone else have success with this website? I was unable to even register with my AMEX card due to the fact that my card was "handled by FIA", whatever that means.

Sounds like you have a card that is on the amex payment network, but not an actual card underwritten by AMEX itself. Instead, it is underwritten by FIA card services, a subsidary of bank of america. So, if amex isn't your actual lender, then unfortunately you wouldn't be eligible for the offer.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Same issue I have but I believe if you buy a gift card on iTunes it uses your card and not your credit. Maybe buy a $5+ gift card and get the statement credit? I'll try that later once they confirm enrollment on my card first.

That's an excellent idea. I'll try that too later.

VicX

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009
California

I had the same idea and just did it. it went through!

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
1) It is only available in the United States (why isn't that mentioned in the article?).
2) I wish Apple would allow things to be bought with AMEX through their App/iTunes store because is the one thing that stops me from owning an AMEX card - the lack of places where I can use it.

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Yes it works if you buy iTunes content - I bought 3 episodes of How I Met Your Mother on my AppleTV and received a $5 credit on my Amex account a couple of days after iTunes billed my card

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Damnit, I just bought a $4.99 app I needed from the Mac App Store yesterday!

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

You can also just gift yourself an app (or a few apps). Not the one where you send directly to their email, but more generically where you print out a gift code. This way it charges to your Amex because gifts are never paid for by credit on your account.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
It wont work for me because I already have $100 itunes gift card in my account :mad: So when I buy an app it will just take the money out of my gift card instead. Unless I am missing something here.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
It wont work for me because I already have $100 itunes gift card in my account :mad: So when I buy an app it will just take the money out of my gift card instead. Unless I am missing something here.

See my post just above yours. I haven't tried this in a while, but generic old instructions are here: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-gift-an-app-from-the-app-store/ (at the bottom is the printing option). I'll have to do this too since I have credit in my account.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Looks like this offer isn't good for all cards. My Platinum card doesn't show this offer as available but my Blue Cash Preferred card does. Now I have to switch the card on my account to buy something and then switch it back..

Bootes

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Looks like this offer isn't good for all cards. My Platinum card doesn't show this offer as available but my Blue Cash Preferred card does. Now I have to switch the card on my account to buy something and then switch it back..

It isn't. This has been on deal sites for about a month, but it's targeted to specific people.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
You can also just gift yourself an app (or a few apps). Not the one where you send directly to their email, but more generically where you print out a gift code. This way it charges to your Amex because gifts are never paid for by credit on your account.

Thanks, just went ahead and gifted myself an EP album. :D

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
It isn't. This has been on deal sites for about a month, but it's targeted to specific people.

If it's targeted at specific people though then why is it available for one of my Amex cards and not the other? Like I said, seems more like specific cards than specific people. I put upwards of $30 grand a year on my Platinum card, seems odd they wouldn't offer it to me on that card but they do on a card that I literally only use for grocery shopping (Blue Cash Preferred gives 6% cash back on groceries).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.