Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month, a set of alleged design drawings was published by Japanese magazine MacFan, showing dimensions for upcoming 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch iPhone models. It's not uncommon for us to see design and case leaks in the months leading up to the new iPhone release.

In some cases, as with the iPhone 5C, early design leaks turn out to be quite close to the final product, though in other instances they turn out to be inaccurate.

iphone47.jpg

Based on those drawings, MacRumors commissioned designer Ferry Passchier to create some full product renderings of the rumored iPhone 6. While these aren't the first renderings, we asked Ferry to also show how they would compare in size to existing devices such as the iPhone 5s and iPad mini.

iPhone 6 (4.7") and iPhone 6 (5.7")

The iPhone designs in the drawings include several differences compared to the iPhone 5s. The top power button has been moved from the right side to the left side of the device. The rear camera on the larger model is also shown as protruding slightly from the rear shell, as is the case with the current iPod touch. The camera flash has also reverted back to a round-design unlike the one found on the iPhone 5s.

Left to Right: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 (4.7"), iPhone 6 (5.7"), iPad mini
This image shows how the new iPhone 6 design compares to the existing product line. The iPhone 5s is depicted on the left with a 4" screen, while the iPad mini (7.9") is on the far right. In between are the rumored 4.7" and 5.7" iPhone 6 from the design document.

Over the weekend, an Apple slide deck from April 2013 surfaced from the ongoing Apple-Samsung patent trial, illustrating Apple's awareness that smartphone growth was coming from the low end of the market and in phones with screens larger than the iPhone's 4-inch display. With the slides noting that "customers want what we don't have", it's clear why Apple is reportedly planning to increase the size of the iPhone's display with this year's models. The iPhone 6 is expected to debut this fall, although a recent report from Reuters claims that the larger version may not be ready to launch at that time.

We can't be certain these schematics are accurate, but Apple clearly sees the need to address the larger smartphone market. We expect more leaks in the future as production of the iPhone 6 begins ramping up.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Renderings Based on Leaked Schematics Highlight Larger Displays

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
The best looking one so far I think. Still don't like the idea of the camera sticking out.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Wow I don't these look good at all.

I think the 5s and the HTC M8 are the two best looking phones out there right now but this rendering is as good looking as a Galaxy S4... Looks like what a 6c would be

Last edited:

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Looks quite nice, as long as the final design is a little more... finished (? don't know if thats the right word) looking :)

danielbroad

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
United Kingdom
Comparison?

This will present a problem for me with pre-orders, I wouldn't know which size to choose.

Are there any Android phones the same size so I can sneak into a shop and hold them?

revjoel

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
If I read the blueprint right, it's only 7mm thick. Love that! WOOHOOO!!! Hopefully this is accurate. I like. :D

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
I think if they look anything like these, they will sell quite a few of the larger size ones. ;)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The renderings look nice and they look like they could be a reality too. Some of the other renderings of iPhone's in the past looked neat, but didn't seem plausible that Apple would build them.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
A couple things that may mean the drawings are fake:
  • The dimension for the Lightning connector is narrower than currently. It's unlikely that the cable would actually fit in a hole that's more than 1mm narrower.
  • The camera is incorrectly labeled as being a "rear flash". Unless there is a ring flash (which I doubt because of glare issues), I doubt Apple would make such mistake.
  • Same goes for the earpiece which is incorrectly labeled as a mic.
  • I really doubt Apple would add buttons on the side AND change the lock button shape AND change the camera position.

The drawings were also supposed to represent an iPhone 6c, not iPhone 6. An all-metal iPhone 6 would need either RF windows (like the iPhone 5/5s) or thin plastic bands to separate the external antennas (like the gaps on the sides of the iPhone 4/5 or the back of an HTC One). Even the iPod touch or Wi-Fi iPad have a RF window, so it's unlikely that an iPhone (with LTE and phone capabilities) would work inside a Faraday cage.

Last edited:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I hope they do away with the polished chamfered edges. Thought they were tacky since day one. Matte is good. The rendering is fantastic, although I doubt Apple would revert back to slate, instead sticking with space gray.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
What a beauty of a rendering. Both look incredible. I'd be hard-pressed to decide between the two, much like it's gonna be hard for me to choose my next iPad between the Mini and iPad Air when the time comes. The two things that give me pause, however, is the lack of the two-tone flash and the lock button being on the left side and not the right. That's gonna throw me for a loop initially if they switch the lock button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.