Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Finally got approval to upgrade from Sprint G Nex to ATT phones. My options are iphone 5C ($99), 5S ($199), S4 ($99), S5 ($199), Note 3 ($299) and one 7 ($199). I have to pay device cost mentioned from my pocket.

Played around Note 3, S5, S4 and iphone 5S. 5S screen felt smaller for browsing. I spend decent time browsing on my phone when I take my kid to play chess games. My sprint G Nex signal is so bad. I am taking spouse one 7 phone when I need to kill off some time while waiting along with ipad mini.

Note 3 is good but it is big for me to reach out to important keys one handed. S4 and S5 seems to be fine with one handed use. Is it worth to get S5 instead of S4 for $100 more. Is S5 as good as note 3 in terms of hardware.

Ideally I would like to wait for bigger Iphone. But that will be another 6 months wait. I do not want miss the opportunity to move away from Sprint. Will i be able to get better device for similar price with Verizon?

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
If you can (which can be understandably hard) wait for the iPhone 6. If you can't wait get the GS5.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Finally got approval to upgrade from Sprint G Nex to ATT phones. My options are iphone 5C ($99), 5S ($199), S4 ($99), S5 ($199), Note 3 ($299) and one 7 ($199). I have to pay device cost mentioned from my pocket.

Played around Note 3, S5, S4 and iphone 5S. 5S screen felt smaller for browsing. I spend decent time browsing on my phone when I take my kid to play chess games. My sprint G Nex signal is so bad. I am taking spouse one 7 phone when I need to kill off some time while waiting along with ipad mini.

Note 3 is good but it is big for me to reach out to important keys one handed. S4 and S5 seems to be fine with one handed use. Is it worth to get S5 instead of S4 for $100 more. Is S5 as good as note 3 in terms of hardware.

Ideally I would like to wait for bigger Iphone. But that will be another 6 months wait. I do not want miss the opportunity to move away from Sprint. Will i be able to get better device for similar price with Verizon?

I wouldn't pay to be stuck in yet another contract for something you may regret in a few months time if you are really interested in an iPhone6. Why not just pay $199 for a contract free 16gb Moto G or $299 for a contract free Moto X or $350 for a Nexus 5? Now you actually 'own' your phone and can just pay $40-$50 a month and get unlimited data on T-Mobile (unlimited but throttled after a certain amount of data, but no overage charges) or pay month to month on AT$T. You will never be stuck to any one carrier, won't be stuck with a phone payment and you can sell the phone when you upgrade to the iPhone 6 and likely not lose more than $50 on the sale, if lose any money at all.

Just a thought. :D

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Have you looked at the LG G2? It's still a very good phone. I don't know about other carriers, but right now it's priced pretty good on Verizon.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Thank for all the suggestions. LG G2 is available for $99 on ATT. There is no one 8 available in our website. One 7 is available for $199. Employer pays for monthly charges. I need to pay subsidized device price. If something happens to my job, I get to keep the phone and I have option to port the number.

Prices are either same or better on ATT compared to Verizion except for Note 3. It is $299 on ATT and $199 on Verizon. Looks like Galaxy S5 for $199 with ATT and Note 3 for $199 with Verizon are the best options available to me. I am preferring ATT considering availability of Google phones and usability in other countries.

Will Iphone 6 available in a month or two. I can wait for some time. I am just worried about change of corporate policies if I wait longer.

Thanks.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Two options:
1. Nexus 5 - I know that you are moving away from Sprint, but the Nexus 5 has radios for Sprint and AT&T (and also T-Mobile/MetroPCS). You buy it off contract for ~$350 and sell it for $300 if you decide that you want an iPhone 6.

2. Moto G - Buy it unlocked for $200. It is a tiny small step up from the Galaxy Nexus, but still a good phone with no contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.