Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone Remains Popular With Teens as iPad Interest Plateaus

Apple's iPhone continues to grow in popularity with U.S. teenagers, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster's latest semiannual teen survey [PDF], which asked 7,500 teens about their device preferences. 61 percent of teens now own an iPhone, compared to 55 percent from a survey conducted in October 2013 and 40 percent in the fall of 2012.

67 percent of teens expect their next phone to be an iPhone, up slightly from October's survey. When it comes to tablets, 60 percent of teens own one, up from 56 percent in the fall. 66 percent of those own an iPad (55% full-sized, 11% mini), which is down slightly from 68 percent, with ownership shifting further towards the mini. 18 percent of teens who don't own a tablet expect to buy one in the next sixth months and of those prospective buyers, 66 percent plan to choose an iPad.

The Spring 2014 survey also covered prospective teen interest in an Apple smart watch, which the company is said to be developing. Of the 7,500 teenagers surveyed, six percent currently own a smart watch and 17 percent of teens would buy an iWatch if Apple were to sell it for $350 or less.
Quote:
The bigger takeaway from our survey is that 17% of teens suggested they would be interested in an iWatch, which we believe is an indication of consumer thirst for not only the iWatch specifically, but the new product categories that have been promised by Apple.
In the past, Samsung has attempted to position its Galaxy phones as the choice for teenagers by portraying the iPhone as "uncool," but this marketing tactic appears to be largely unsuccessful given the segment's growing interest in Apple products.

Despite the iPhone's popularity, the iPad has become slightly less popular with teenagers as competitors like Google and Kindle have released more affordable options. Android tablets in particular have seen consistent growth among teens, even after the launch of the Retina iPad mini and the thinner and lighter iPad Air.

Article Link: iPhone Remains Popular With Teens as iPad Interest Plateaus
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:02 PM   #2
macduke
macrumors 68030

But...but...but all the Samsung commercials say iPhones are for old people!
macduke is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Razeus
macrumors 68040

I sometimes question why I have an iPad. Probably why I haven't bought the iPad Air. The iPad 4th gen is good enough and the apps aren't going to do anything different with the Air.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:06 PM   #4
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

The reason is probably because the iPhone is subsidized & the iPad is not.

Parents probably don't mind paying $100-200 for a kid's iPhone (since all subsidized phones cost about the same), but they will balk at spending $500 for an iPad when other tablets are much cheaper.

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:08 PM   #5
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

This is interesting especially in light of all those consumer surveys from a couple years ago that showed increasing numbers of Android users planning to buy iPhones and few going the other way.

I've joked that dealing with the Android clusterf*** for 2 years is enough to make anyone an iPhone user, but I'm starting to think that's what is actually happening. I watched it happen with my wife and my daughter, both of whom loved their Android phones at first, but grew weary of its eccentricities after 6 months and switched to iPhones. I know others who have done the same. I know of nobody who grew to hate their iPhone and jumped to Android.

It's anecdotal, I know, but it does fall in line with the consumer surveys from the last few years.
inkswamp is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

Parents probably don't mind paying $100-200 for a kid's iPhone (since all subsidized phones cost about the same), but they will balk at spending $500 for an iPad when other tablets are much cheaper.
Parents are in for a rude awakening once they discover cell phone companies are going away from this and you're paying for your phone outright.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:13 PM   #7
samuelwong
macrumors newbie

Cost is an issue

Tablet is not as 'essential' as phone for the latter is somehow a real need for a fast-paced and busy schedule family. No parent will find it unnecessary to locate their youthful kids precisely while allowing them to have active and social lifestyle.
As middle-aged man, I like iPad in terms of its integration with iPhone and Macbook which is a real convenience to a working professional. I don't have to figure out so many variations of apps as in Android world.
samuelwong is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:14 PM   #8
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Parents are in for a rude awakening once they discover cell phone companies are going away from this and you're paying for your phone outright.
No they aren't. Phone companies are moving towards installment plans. So it will just be another monthly fee along with the bill.
chrisbru is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:17 PM   #9
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:

This study asks about device preferences. Why would subsidies come into play?
Amplelink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:19 PM   #10
abhishake
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
I've joked that dealing with the Android clusterf*** for 2 years is enough to make anyone an iPhone user, but I'm starting to think that's what is actually happening. I watched it happen with my wife and my daughter, both of whom loved their Android phones at first, but grew weary of its eccentricities after 6 months and switched to iPhones. I know others who have done the same. I know of nobody who grew to hate their iPhone and jumped to Android.

It's anecdotal, I know, but it does fall in line with the consumer surveys from the last few years.
I've had the iPhone since the very first day back in '07 when it came out for $500 and have had every single iteration since. I'm about to switch to Android. I've wanted to for a while, but I'm a sucker for the ecosystem. Hardware wise Androids are now better - that's a fact. Something we've never really dealt with since Apple competitors usually just suck it up.

Having said that - I will be converting to a Nexus if the iPhone 6 doesn't have a bigger screen. The iPad Air is the best tablet out there, but the phone simply sucks.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:23 PM   #11
The Doctor11
macrumors 68030

Well I'm a teen so I guess I'll take the survey.
I...
Own an iPhone
Own an iPad
Would love to buy an iWatch.

And the percentage of teens that are apple fanboys is 0.00001. I'm sorta the only one in the category.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
Samsungs to stupid to see that I guess. Do they make glasses?

----------

Quote:

Yeah but have you ever seen little kids with tablets. There's a ton of little kids with iPad mini's not iPods.

Last edited by OllyW; Apr 8, 2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: quoted deleted post
The Doctor11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:26 PM   #12
TechGod
macrumors 68000

Quote:

But it's more expensive to be on contract... are you going to just forget the contracts insane pricing?

-Albert Camus
TechGod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:28 PM   #13
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502

"...iPad Interest Plateaus..."

OLD news.
RedOrchestra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:28 PM   #14
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Wait, I thought we were in a "post-PC era" of tablets.

The Mac Pro sells better than expected, and iPad's are plateauing. Could be for any reason, but at least the new Mac Pro has shown professionals and enthusiasts still need and want a desktop system (not an all-in-one).
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:29 PM   #15
mw360
macrumors 6502a

iPhone owners chart is absolute percentages (i.e. all teenagers) but iPad figures are relative (all tablet owners). iPad chart therefore omits overall tablet sales growth where iPhone does not. Misleading.

Also figures in the article for tablet sales 60% up from 56% are very close to the iPhone increases shown in the chart (looks like 61% up from 55%), so the iPad is growing almost as fast as the iPhone. That's not a plateau. Boring, but true.

Last edited by mw360; Apr 8, 2014 at 04:34 PM.
mw360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:33 PM   #16
bawbac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
Well, sort of...

Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:34 PM   #17
Taipan
macrumors regular

If 70% of non tablet owners intend to buy an iPad, shouldn't the number of iPad owners be increasing? I can"t believe that there are as much leaving the iPad.
OK, they didn't tell WHEN they intend to buy...
Taipan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:34 PM   #18
Yelmurc
macrumors regular

Devices and eco-systems are only as popular as the apps they use. I keep thinking to myself if Apple can get an amazing game or some piece of software that makes people want to buy an iPad they'd see large growth again. Having the hardware is not enough. If the only compete on standard features they won't keep the lead.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:38 PM   #19
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502

A refresher on iPad sales and % of Apple revenue -

http://www.macstories.net/news/apple...on-ipads-sold/
RedOrchestra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:40 PM   #20
carjakester
macrumors 68020

Iwatch at 350 is pretty steep...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:43 PM   #21
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

i doubt an iWatch would be $350
dannyyankou is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:43 PM   #22
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
67 percent of teens expect their next phone to be an iPhone, up slightly from October's survey.
Beginning a sentence with a numeral is a huge writing blunder.

Sorry, but this kind of thing really makes my brain hurt. Ow.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:58 PM   #23
malexandria
macrumors 6502

Surface

I've been seeing more and more people with Surfaces at Business Conferences lately. And whenever I go to the mall a lot of folks seem excited about the Surface in the MS Store.
malexandria is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 05:00 PM   #24
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjakester View Post
Iwatch at 350 is pretty steep...
I don't think even Apple would have the balls to charge that much.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 05:05 PM   #25
senseless
macrumors 65816

61% of teens own an iPhone, so the the other 39% own Androids and 100% of US teens now own a smartphone with a data plan payment? Something is obviously askew.
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion