Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I just ordered a base i7 model from the refurbished store. This is going to be my first Mac. I've been on the fence about it for about a year now and with all of the rumors circling around about an update was going to wait but when it popped up in the refurbished store today, I couldn't pass it up.

So how long do these usually take to ship?! It says 1-5 days but it is already "preparing for shipment". I am very anxious to play with it!!

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Strangely, I just got charged for my Mac mini but the order is still "processing". I thought apple only charged as it was preparing to ship?

EricandSuebee

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2014
New Hampshire
I ordered a BTO (Build to Order) and got the i7 2.3 with 256SSD ordered it on Apr 1st had it in my hands Apr 4th. You should see similar shipping times but things do come up.

Gadge Goblin

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2014
Well after a lot of reading up I've managed to bag a 2011 Mac mini and plan on using it as a media server, it should be here by the end of the week and I must say I'm very excited.

FantasyX

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
I just ordered a refurbished Mac-Mini from the Apple online store , and I hope it'll be as good as new. Eventually I'll be maxing its memory to 16GB and probably upgrade it with a SSD.

I'll be using it mostly for internet browing/online-business, music and video streaming without the need to stress out my iMac and worry too much about viruses and malware.
I hope I won't regret purchasing my first refurb! I just couldn't resist saving 15% off which I'll be allocate it toward the extra memory from Amazon.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I hope I won't regret purchasing my first refurb! I just couldn't resist saving 15% off which I'll be allocate it toward the extra memory from Amazon.

relax…
every refurb mac I've purchased (all 4) have been as new.
In fact my latest a late 2012 came with a bonus of a free 16GB memory upgrade.
From what I read on the forums, these surprise extras (extra memory, larger Hard dives etc.) happen quite often, seems Apple lists the standard models and ignores any upgrades that may have been added.

FantasyX

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
relax…
From what I read on the forums, these surprise extras (extra memory, larger Hard dives etc.) happen quite often, seems Apple lists the standard models and ignores any upgrades that may have been added.
Thanks, it's always nice to read such reassuring posts. I hope I'll get an upgraded memory surprise like yours, it'll save me at least $147! :)

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
I just ordered a refurbished Mac-Mini from the Apple online store , and I hope it'll be as good as new. Eventually I'll be maxing its memory to 16GB and probably upgrade it with a SSD.

I'll be using it mostly for internet browing/online-business, music and video streaming without the need to stress out my iMac and worry too much about viruses and malware.

I did the same today. My MBP finally just completely died so I had to bite the bullet since I need a work computer for illustration. This is my first refurb as well. I had really been hoping to extend the life long enough to save up for the Fusion Drive spec but alas, I couldn't afford that right now.

relax…

I will say, this has me a little paranoid. Not that it wouldn't be good but I really need the 1 TB of space. A surprise extra to a fusion drive would be awesome but if it was the SSD, which is a quarter of what I need, I would be a little annoyed. Don't get me wrong, its obviously faster but I seriously need the space more than the speed right now.

Last edited:

MikeLane

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
I recently bought a refurbished quad 2.6 mini with fusion drive. It was was listed with 8GB memory but in fact came with 16GB. So I now have a maxed out mini for quite a bit less than the official price.

It's absolutely as new - I'm very happy with it.

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
You could always return it within Apples allowable time frame.

Well, as it turns out, I got exactly what I ordered! Spent Saturday afternoon evening and most of the day Sunday working on getting files copied over from time machine, reinstalling apps (it was interestined using my wife's PC as a Remote Disk Drive), redoing my settings, etc. But she's running now, just in time for me to go back to work for the week. :p

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
Wow, what a nice machine! I got the 2.6 i7 and 256GB SSD. I have 16 GB of RAM coming from NewEgg, but even with the stock 4 GB it's nice and fast. I love that it boots up in a few seconds and that launching an application takes almost no time.

I think my plan of replacing my aging laptop with the mini and an iPad is going to work out just fine.

Dittos to that! ... Same, same here, except my RAM upgrade was installed at the Apple store this Friday. ;)

My new Mini is at the office now, grinding on web pages and graphics, but I keep an iPad at home. (Full sized from last year)

We will probably buy another Mini, when the next "insanely great" Mini comes out, sometime toward the end of summer (maybe?).

Last edited:

hcclnoodles

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Hi all Just ordered a mini, 16gb RAM pack and Crucial M500 :D

- Apple Mac Mini (Quad-Core i7 2.3GHz Processor, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 1TB, HD Graphics, Launched Oct 2012) -

- Crucial ram memory 16GB kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800,1600MHz -

- Crucial CT480M500SSD1 2.5-inch 480GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive

Ive been hovering over that "Buy Now" button for the past month but took the plunge today - Its all being delivered tomorow (amazon prime) :D

This is an upgrade on my late 2009 C2D mac mini - which is slowing down massively now since putting Mavericks on there

very excited

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Parent's refurbished 2007-ish iMac broke last week (the hard disk).
I have no time to fix it, so I talked them into an i5 Mini (minimal spec, as their budget is limited - I can upgrade it later, anyway.)

Just need to look for a webcam now, so the family can stay in contact ;-)

rndman

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2013
Parent's refurbished 2007-ish iMac broke last week (the hard disk).
I have no time to fix it, so I talked them into an i5 Mini (minimal spec, as their budget is limited - I can upgrade it later, anyway.)

Just need to look for a webcam now, so the family can stay in contact ;-)

The simplest fix your 2007 imac would be to add external bootable disk. It will take only 30 min to 1 hour to bring it back to working condition.
Just my 2c.

Last edited:

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
The simplest fix your 2007 imac would be to add external bootable disk. It will take only 30 min to 1 hour to bring it back to working condition.
Just my 2c.

True, but the reality is that it is/was running only Lion anyway. I didn't dare to update to ML or even Mavericks - my 2008 24" iMac is slow enough with Mavericks.
So it's unsupported anyway with security-updates etc.
Something had to be done anyway.
With the Mini, they'll can be on the supported side for a couple of years with no speed impact (provided I install an SDD and more RAM).

celadon

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2014
USA
I ordered a used mini (oh wait, no I ordered TWO! :D ). One will be a "back up" Mini in case my main Mini has issues, and the other will be in my studio for scanning/Photoshop work.

They are both early 2006 Intel Minis, one a Intel Core Solo, the other an Intel Core Duo. The Solo has 512 MB of RAM, the Duo has 2 GB of RAM.

I currently have the latest Mini (bought last fall).

I'm looking forward to getting my "new" used Minis and setting them up! :D

Zorlac

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Ordered an i5 model from the refurb store listed at $509. I also ordered the wireless keyboard. $ 612 total. I couldn't for a possible maybe announcement on Haswell and certainly not until fall for a new mini assuming there will be one.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
So I was saviving up for a macbook pro when my Hackintosh died, so I deciced to get myself a real mac to keep me going.

Just ordered a base model Mac Mini from Amazon for £413 delivery Moday with Prime. I hear Amazon Mac Mini's dont come with the iLife bundle, is it true? is that how they can sell them for so cheap?

Anyways im really looking forward to monday :)

has anyone dual booted two versions of Mac OS X on one mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.