Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LukasValine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Okay, so I was experimenting with Linux, and I really messed up my hard drive. To make a long story short, I can't boot Mac OS. When I boot into recovery mode, and open disk utility, Macintosh HD is greyed out. When I try to verify disk, it tells me, "The volume Macintosh HD is corrupt and needs to be repaired." When I click repair disk, it fails.

I receive and error message when I try to reinstall Mac OS.

All of my files are backed up, so that is not an issue.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ All of my files are backed up, so that is not an issue.
Any suggestions? ]]

Boot from your cloned backup drive, then re-initialize the internal drive, then "re-clone" the contents of your cloned backup to the internal drive.
Should take only a few minutes...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I did not use time machine to backup. My files are stored on an external hard disk. My computer is an early 2011 MacBook Pro.

So you just drag/dropped the files to an external... not a clone or anything.

Your machine is on this list (or newer), so if you have applied firmware updates you should be able to do Internet Recovery.

Hold command-option-r (all three keys at once) when booting and you will be asked for your wifi password, then you will see this globe while the recovery utility downloads.

dmAwEZf.png

Once that is done you will see this recovery screen.

Xm7rMyl.png

Start Disk Utility and select your drive brand name at the very top (like 1TB Seagate or whatever) then in the erase tab select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and apply that change. This will erase the entire disk.

Now quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS X. This will DL the ~5GB OS and install it for you. At the end a setup process will run where you can make an account.

This will install the OS that came with the machine. You can upgrade back to Mavericks from there if you like.

This should fix you up.

LukasValine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
So you just drag/dropped the files to an external... not a clone or anything.

Your machine is on this list (or newer), so if you have applied firmware updates you should be able to do Internet Recovery.

Hold command-option-r (all three keys at once) when booting and you will be asked for your wifi password, then you will see this globe while the recovery utility downloads.

dmAwEZf.png

Once that is done you will see this recovery screen.

Xm7rMyl.png

Start Disk Utility and select your drive brand name at the very top (like 1TB Seagate or whatever) then in the erase tab select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and apply that change. This will erase the entire disk.

Now quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS X. This will DL the ~5GB OS and install it for you. At the end a setup process will run where you can make an account.

This will install the OS that came with the machine. You can upgrade back to Mavericks from there if you like.

This should fix you up.

Great. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks a bunch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.