Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johndope83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Hi guys need help!

Everytime I check updates on cydia the bigboss repo failes to fetch updates

see message below:
Sub-process: /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)

GPG error: http://apt.thebigboss.org stable Release: The following signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

Failed to fetch http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/dists/stable/main/binary-aphoneos-arm/Packages.bz2 Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)

Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored or old ones used instead.

any ideas how to fix this? TIA! KCCO!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
You can try this to reset Cydia to default repo's, i won't delete your packages.

Navigate to /private/etc/apt/sources.list.d

Delete the file "cydia.list"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists

Delete all of the files in this folder except the one called "lock"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists/partial

Delete all of the files in this folder

Navigate to /var/lib/cydia

Delete the file "metadata.plist"

Restart Cydia. You should be at the first screen you saw when you first started Cydia: What kind of user are you? Make your selection and Cydia will re-generate the default sources

johndope83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
You can try this to reset Cydia to default repo's, i won't delete your packages.

Navigate to /private/etc/apt/sources.list.d

Delete the file "cydia.list"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists

Delete all of the files in this folder except the one called "lock"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists/partial

Delete all of the files in this folder

Navigate to /var/lib/cydia

Delete the file "metadata.plist"

Restart Cydia. You should be at the first screen you saw when you first started Cydia: What kind of user are you? Make your selection and Cydia will re-generate the default sources

Im not really comfortable playing around the root of my iphone but if there's no other alternative then so be it...

By the way, can I use iexplorer3 to navigate to the root? I don't have iFile on my device but I have iexplorer on my mac.

johndope83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
then you could end up in a boot loop and might have to restore, follow instuctions.

@TriJetHero - sorry if I have to raise this issue once more. I haven't actually tried your advice yet. Bit scared to be honest. :D

Anyway, I'd like to ask your second opinion with another method of solving this problem without go thru the process you mentioned.

I have iCleaner on my phone. I was reading that it can do "Clean Up" on Cydia. It's disabled by default. According to the developer, it deletes Cydia source files and is useful if Cydia sources aren't updating correctly. As a result, Cydia will not list any package and the sources will have to be updated.

If I understand correctly, this does the same thing that you told me. Only with this I don't have to use iFile or iExplorer to navigate thru my files. Is my theory correct? Please advice. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this matter... Thanks!:D

led73

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
bigboss

I followed TriJetHero's instructions worked like a charm and im a newbee at all this

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Had something similar and simply checked all the toggles in iCleaner (Pro)- that includes the three Cydia toggles- and after the respring went back into Cydia and clicked the upper left 'refresh' button and all the latest/greatest tweaks/apps returned and solved my issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.