Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I have about 2,000 DVD's in my collection. I recently purchased a WDTVLive! and really love this thing. I have found that ripping my original commercial movies to DVD5 file set works best for me all around on this box. I've already converted about 2 TB this way and it's perfect for me. I want to do the remaining (about 6 TB) in the same format.

I've been using DVDFabHD Decrypter to rip to DVD9, and then I use DVD2ONE to compress and preserve the Audio/Subtitles that I want. DVDFab (now BluFab) has discontinued the Decryption function with it's latest update. I'm still using an older version and it works for now, but I'd like to move to something else that is still supported, and produces the DVD file structure with everything in tact.

I've tried a bunch of CRAP and nothing I've found works even 1/10th as good as my standard.

So, can someone here recommend an application that will do the trick. There are many out there that will rip to a single file, but that's not what I want. I want the full file set. It gives me all the options of the original DVD (I'm hearing impaired, and rely need the subs). The box also downloads all the album art and descriptions of the movies that way. It makes it very nice for browsing, not to mention that if the original DVD gets damaged it's a one step process to re-burn the movie since the file set is right there.

Suggestions solicited... Thanks

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
I use 'RipIt' by The 'Little App Factory' (easy to find if you Google it).
It's $25 but you can get a free trial and check if the resulting files are compatible with your WDTVLive! before you make a purchase decision.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
I use MPEG stream clip. Its free too! You go to file>load DVD. Then you navigate to the DVD video folder and click it, then hit open. It automatically loads the video and audio in all directories. When you export, you can export lots of different variations of formats. Just remember, its very important. The default quality for some reason is at 50%, make sure you slide it to 100% on the export every time. I use this program all the time in the studio if a DVD needs to be copied. good luck!

http://www.squared5.com/
^^ Website To Download ^^

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
...I've been using DVDFabHD Decrypter to rip to DVD9, and then I use DVD2ONE to compress and preserve the Audio/Subtitles that I want. DVDFab (now BluFab) has discontinued the Decryption function with it's latest update. I'm still using an older version and it works for now, but I'd like to move to something else that is still supported, and produces the DVD file structure with everything in tact....

The DVDFab crew obviously got a LOT of flack for that so they've backtracked a little.

DVDFab updates are now only available to their old customers who bought the program before the change. All new customers will get BluFab without any decryption software. Of course that might change again some time in the future, but that's how it stands today, so you should be good to go after intaling the latest DVDFab update :)

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The DVDFab crew obviously got a LOT of flack for that so they've backtracked a little.

DVDFab updates are now only available to their old customers who bought the program before the change. All new customers will get BluFab without any decryption software. Of course that might change again some time in the future, but that's how it stands today, so you should be good to go after intaling the latest DVDFab update :)

Not really, as I'm not a paying customer. I did the DVDFab update and it installed BluFab. Even when you go to the developers page to download DVDFab, it will download BluFab.

For now I'm okay, I just used time machine to roll back the clock to an older version and it's working out so far. I just have to update a bunch of other apps again.

I'm looking into Ripit. I haven't used it yet but I've downloaded the trial. I had resigned myself to booting into Linux and running an open source app called K9Copy which works well, but I found that even it isn't supported and won't install on the newest distros.

----------

For untouched Ripping, i really Like Make MKV - it is one file, but it leaves everything in there. Very Easy to handle!

I like it too, but my Media player likes the DVD file structure of standard DVDs better. That's what I'm looking for... Something to preserve the file structure exactly.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I bought DVDFab nearly 10 years ago, when I was using Windows in those days, and I have been using it ever since.

Upon switching to Mac back in 2006, I downloaded the Mac version and it works just fine.

Lately, I received a newsletter from DVDFab saying that their website "dvdfab.com" was blocked by some third party organisations in the states and as a result they switched their website to "www.dvdfab.cn".

DVDFab HD Decrypter for Mac is still free and available from this site. http://www.dvdfab.cn/hd-decrypter-for-mac.htm

I prefer to use DVDFab Decrypter because it preserves the entire file structure of the original DVD. Doing so preserves not only the subtitles but the entire opening menu as well as all the special features.

After the DVD is copied to the hard drive by the DVDFab Decrypter, I change the extension of the main folder containing the VIDEO_TS sub folder to ".dvdmedia". In other words the original folder "MoveName" looks like "MovieName.dvdmedia" after the renaming.

Once you do that, double clicking the folder with the dvdmedia extension will open the default player (iDVD or VLC whichever is the one you designated as the default DVD player) and you will be greeted with the top menu of the DVD. From there you can access everything which the original DVD has. It is indistingushable from playing the original DVD in every aspect.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I use a really simple setup, for both DVDs and Bluray I use MakeMkv to rip the master file

http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/ Ripit is great for baking a DVD image
http://makemkv.com Great for ripping the master file from both DVD and BluRay
http://handbrake.fr Absolutely hands down the best tool on the planet for file compression/conversion.

For both BluRay and DVD I rip first using MakeMkv to a master file and Handbrake to convert to a more manageable file. You have presets for all major devices, AppleTV for a 720p file, but since you have the WDTV, you can simply choose 'High Profile' and it will halve the file size for you with next to no loss in quality and will play better on the WDTV.

I have the WDTV as well, its a great piece of kit and outputs the full 1080p which is why I have little interest in the AppleTV as its too limiting.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
DVD Cloner for MAC is much better than the others. I have used them all.

Dvd Cloner is $60 not free. For ripping, DVDFab's DVD Decrypter is free and copies the DVD 1:1 leaving the entire file structure of the DVD intact, hence preserving all menus, special features and the extras.

To clone a DVD to another DVD is another matter of course, however the OP's title doesn't mention cloning, it says: "Best DVD decrypting/ripping software".

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
What options should I choose in DVDfab in order to get a movie from a Dvd, in the highest possible quality?
I hope that the file size could not exceed dvd's maximum size (4,6gb).
Dvdfab allows the creation of a single movie file from the whole dvd?
I hope it is not just a simple copy-paste from dvd to hard disk.
This is not a case.

brandonearly

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2015
DVD to DVD Cloning

What is the best and what is the cheapest DVD cloning software? (rips, compresses and burns a a single DVD).

Back in the day I used DVD Fab (pay for app) and DVD Shrink (free) on my windows machine.

Now I am a Mac user. I do not want DVD to file, I want DVD to DVD. Not 1:1 copy, I want an app that rips, compresses and burns a DVD so I can make backups of my disks to use on trips so my originals do not get messed up my my kids in the car.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
What is the best and what is the cheapest DVD cloning software? (rips, compresses and burns a a single DVD).

Back in the day I used DVD Fab (pay for app) and DVD Shrink (free) on my windows machine.

Now I am a Mac user. I do not want DVD to file, I want DVD to DVD. Not 1:1 copy, I want an app that rips, compresses and burns a DVD so I can make backups of my disks to use on trips so my originals do not get messed up my my kids in the car.

I settled I on using Ripit to rip the full Disc, and then I use DVD2ONE to remove the unwanted extras and compress.

ewout

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
I've used macx dvd ripper for half a year. Support many output formats and can rip dvd flawlessly. the only capth is it is not free, but I think it is worthwhile.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH

Why not just clone? Disk utility can do that, just burns a copy. Why must you rip and burn... just asking.

I rip so I can stick the video on my iTunes server to play with my AppleTVs or iPads. But if I just wanted backup I use disk utility to make an image. If I want a copy for the kids to to abuse I just burn it.

Maxwill

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
I use MakeMKV too. It outputs uncompressed MKV which I believe WD TV should well supported - for me, I usually save the MKV onto harddrive and watch on Mac via VLC.
Since DVDs are 480P at max, the benefits of uncompressed MKV is not obvious. In this case some third party ripper can also be considered like Free DVDAid, WinX, Handbrake, AnyDVD, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.