Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
California
It almost appears that MLB at Bat checks your IP address to locate now, not just use your GPS location, hence the problem. I'm in eastern Nevada and the A's territory ends at the border with Utah. When I'm at home, I'm blacked out. When I'm at work, which uses an IP from Utah I believe, I can watch on my iPad and iPhone, so long as I'm streaming via wifi. But, when I turn wifi off on my phone and try to stream over cell, it blacks me out.

This is so disappointing. The ONLY reason I get MLB.tv every year is to be able to stream my A's anywhere I want. I know it ain't MLB's choice to have blackouts, it's the goddam networks.

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
California
Ok, I can now confirm that MLB at Bat's most recent update (7.1.0 posted on March 31) no longer just uses GPS location to check for blackouts, but uses IP addresses as it does when watching MLB.tv on the web.

The version just prior, (7.0.2) DOES NOT. I jailbroke my grandfather's iPad and installed Locationholic during Spring Training, before the update, and he's viewing A's games just fine, just outside of Oakland.

So, if there's a way to get 7.0.2 back onto your iOS device, we may be able to get around this. If you're still on this version, DO NOT UPDATE or you'll be blacked out, jailbreak or not.

I'll post again if I get this to work again.

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
California
WORKING AGAIN, NO BLACKOUTS (A Guide)

For this to work, you must be jailbroken.

So yeah, MLB at Bat's latest update (7.1.0) changed the way they search your location to include DNS or IP. The PREVIOUS version, however, did not.

So, you need to get the old version (7.0.2) back, install Locationholic, and set your location in Mexico or someplace international, and BAM, you're back in business.

1. Make sure you're jailbroken
2. Delete MLB at Bat from your device
3. Install vShare onto your device via Cydia by doing the following:
Open Cydia​
Go to Manage -> Sources -> Edit -> and tap on Add​
Type repo.appvv.com and tap on Add Source to add the repo​
Now, search for AppSync 7.0 (IPA Crack) and install it​
Now, search for vShare and install it as well​
It will appear on your home screen when completed​
4. Now, open vShare and search for MLB at Bat
5. It'll be listed as MLB.com At Bat
6. Once you've tapped on it, tap on History and then tap to download version 7.0.2
7. Install it and you're back to the version that'll work with Locationholic

Locationholic is a great app that lets you set up MLB at Bat as the only one you want to fake the location for and just set it and forget it. It's great. The trial version should work just fine as far as I know. You only need to pay if you want to have multiple fake locations saved. I paid just cuz I wanted to thank the developer.

There is nothing illegal about this. Yes, it's a cracked version of the MLB at Bat app, but the app itself is free anyway. This is just allowing you to get back to the previous version of it.

Hope this helps! I'm back to watching my A's!

Last edited:

Jamters

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Thanks

I was pretty confused as to why on my iPhone and MBP my home team was blacked out but my iPod Touch is working fine. I'll be sure NOT to update the touch. Thanks for the timely info.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
MLB.TV and Blackouts

Weird. I'm updated. GPS with wifi off works to get backed out games and then I just control center wifi back on to not use data. With wifi on before loading a game it will blackout even with location elsewhere.

Jailbroken with location faker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.