Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:39 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mass Production of 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Set for July, 5.5-Inch Version Beginning in September

According to Japanese website EMSOne [Google Translate, via G for Games] citing Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times, Apple is planning to begin mass production of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 in July with the larger 5.5-inch version to enter mass production in September.

The report notes that both versions of the next-generation iPhone will go on sale at some point during the fourth quarter of this year, with the 4.7-inch iPhone being announced and released earlier than the 5.5-inch iPhone.

Renderings of iPhone 6 (4.7") and iPhone 6 (5.7") based on leaked schematics
The news comes as a report from Reuters last month stated that Apple would begin production of the 4.7-inch display to be used in the iPhone 6 this May for the device's release this fall. The report also noted that the 5.5-inch version of the iPhone 6 would be delayed due to difficulties with in-cell production technology, and would start production several months after the 4.7-inch version.

A report last month from Japanese newspaper Nikkei stated that the iPhone 6 could launch "as early as September" and will be offered in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch display sizes. This contrasted a claim from UBS analyst Steve Milunovich, who said that the 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 might be the only model to launch later this year, as a timeframe for the larger 5.5-inch version was unclear.

Internal documents from the second ongoing trial between Apple and Samsung also indicate that Apple is poised to release a larger phone, as a slide deck from an April 2013 presentation showed that customers want less expensive and most notably, larger screen smartphones.

In addition to a larger display, Apple’s next-generation iPhone is expected to feature a durable, sapphire screen, and a thinner, bezel-free design in addition to processor and camera upgrades.

Article Link: Mass Production of 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Set for July, 5.5-Inch Version Beginning in September
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:41 AM   #2
maflynn

interesting a staged roll out

I'd rather see the larger one first just because I'm more interested in that
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:43 AM   #3
kovalchuk71
macrumors 6502

If that is the design, I am sold! Love the matte black and the rounded edges
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:43 AM   #4
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Apple literally doubled down on secrecy. Put two rabbits out to chase, and not one can be caught.
cmChimera is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:43 AM   #5
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
interesting a staged roll out
Makes sense, they usually struggle to make enough when there's only one new model.
OllyW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:49 AM   #6
dreadnort
macrumors member

If they look like that i could be tempted back to the iphone
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:50 AM   #7
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

I hope they keep the current size as well. Im not interested in carrying around a little iPad. 4.7" may be ok though.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:52 AM   #8
Rogifan
macrumors G3

How accurate has Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times been in the past? And how would they know Apple's planned release schedule? I'm still skeptical that Apple is actually going to sell a phablet.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:53 AM   #9
solarguy17
macrumors 6502

Agreed, that's a nice looking phone. But I question validity of the "specs" the design is based on. Main that is the flash, iPhone 5S has the duel "pill shaped" flash. Those mock ups are based specs that still include the round flash. I know that's a small thing, but I wonder if this could be a bad spec leak like the "wedge" shaped phone that was being mocked up prior to the iPhone 4S announce.
solarguy17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:53 AM   #10
Jab00
macrumors regular

The only problem I see with this plan is that it would mean they would be putting out a brand new phone but with last years OS... not saying that its a bad things just doesn't seem like Apple's style. Definitely excited to see how this turns out though!
Jab00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:56 AM   #11
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

I can finally upgrade!
Attached Images

Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:57 AM   #12
Blue Sun
macrumors 6502a

IMO, 4.7" is the perfect size for a smartphone. The 5.5" phones around today are unwieldy and difficult to use with one hand.
Blue Sun is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:57 AM   #13
Cali Fornia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy17 View Post
Agreed, that's a nice looking phone. But I question validity of the "specs" the design is based on. Main that is the flash, iPhone 5S has the duel "pill shaped" flash. Those mock ups are based specs that still include the round flash. I know that's a small thing, but I wonder if this could be a bad spec leak like the "wedge" shaped phone that was being mocked up prior to the iPhone 4S announce.
The blue print also says the camera is a flash. Which obviously is a mistake.
Cali Fornia is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:57 AM   #14
Jambalaya
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab00 View Post
The only problem I see with this plan is that it would mean they would be putting out a brand new phone but with last years OS... not saying that its a bad things just doesn't seem like Apple's style. Definitely excited to see how this turns out though!
I think they do iOS8 at the same time in September/October.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:58 AM   #15
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Who says anything about the OS? Pretty sure the new iPhones will ship with iOS 8.
TC03 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:59 AM   #16
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
I hope they keep the current size as well. Im not interested in carrying around a little iPad. 4.7" may be ok though.
I feel the same way but think 4.7" might be a decent "compromise". Certainly hope if Apple does go that route it sticks as the permanent small size iPhone.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:59 AM   #17
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
Makes sense, they usually struggle to make enough when there's only one new model.
Good point, I forgotten about demand outstripping supply.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:00 AM   #18
Jab00
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Who says anything about the OS? Pretty sure the new iPhones will ship with iOS 8.
Except with WWDC not until June a new phone being released in July would give no time for iOS 8 to be tested.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
I think they do iOS8 at the same time in September/October.
I completely agree which is why I don't think we will see any new models in July like stated in the article.

Whoops I misread this... production for July not release

Last edited by Jab00; Apr 9, 2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Reading problems
Jab00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:02 AM   #19
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Except with WWDC not until June a new phone being released in July would give no time for iOS 8 to be tested.

----------

I completely agree which is why I don't think we will see any new models in July like stated in the article.
I don't think mass production means it'll be sold in July. That's just to prepare for sales.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:02 AM   #20
Jab00
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
I don't think mass production means it'll be sold in July. That's just to prepare for sales.
Yeah I just realized I read that wrong
Jab00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:03 AM   #21
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
How accurate has Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times been in the past?
Not very...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17592709
OllyW is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:07 AM   #22
RolyPolyBird
macrumors regular

The front face plate is looking very tired imho.
RolyPolyBird is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:07 AM   #23
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

I hope this is inaccurate. I don't want a bigger and thinner/lighter phone.
I could now stash away one or two 5s but that doesn't really help in the end either if this is the stupid trend.
Those look like the samsung ghettophonez that I avoided when moving to apple.
7enderbender is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:14 AM   #24
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
So basically take this with a huge grain of salt. Like I said I'm quite skeptical that we're going to see a 5.5" phone from Apple.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:14 AM   #25
diddl14
macrumors 6502

What kind of resolution can we expect with the new screen sizes?

Will devs again have a to support new resolutions as with the introduction of the 4" screen?
diddl14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion