Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Hi there, wise users. :)

I'm looking for a dock for my iPad Air.

I've always used the classic one made by Apple. Now that they don't seem to make it anymore, I was wondering what's my best option here?

I need something as simple as possible. I don't want speakers, I don't want clocks, I don't want moving parts... I just want a simple, solid, nice-looking dock with a Lightning connection and a design efficient enough to quickly put and take out my iPad Air.

Maybe something like this, but with better reviews.

Ideas?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
It looks like a good option.

Do you have one? I'd like to be sure that it doesn't wobble a lot putting in a big device like the Air.

I have both versions. It is very stable. It wobbles a little when touch because it has no support for the top of the iPad Air. It works great though:)

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Simple dock for iPad Air?

I have both versions. It is very stable. It wobbles a little when touch because it has no support for the top of the iPad Air. It works great though:)

Yeah, I noticed the back part is kind of short, so I don't think it's ideally designed for an iPad.

What amazes me the most is how limited the current offer is. I keep searching but I always end up seeing the same docks. None of which seems good enough though.

EDIT: Unless I see some additional feedback from the community, I think I'll just go with the Belkin one.

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I got the duo Everdock from the Kickstarter and have my iPad2 in the back and 4S in the front. Couldnt be more happy about it. No wobbling here, gracefull connect and disconnect. Absolutely love it. :)

The Air is a tad thinner than the 2 I believe, so that may account for Zmans experience?

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
No way. It's too small for an iPad Air.

Anyway, I already bought the Belkin one. I hope it works as expected.

I got bad news for you: the Belkin Sync and Charge that I got for my iPhone 5 is not stable at all for my iPad Air with a SmartCase. I don't think a naked iPad Air would fare that much better to be usable.

The problem is not side to side, but the tendency to flip on its back. Sure, if I am careful I could balance the iPad Air on it, but a light breeze is all it takes to knock it down.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I got bad news for you: the Belkin Sync and Charge that I got for my iPhone 5 is not stable at all for my iPad Air with a SmartCase. I don't think a naked iPad Air would fare that much better to be usable.

The problem is not side to side, but the tendency to flip on its back. Sure, if I am careful I could balance the iPad Air on it, but a light breeze is all it takes to knock it down.

There are two models actually, one for the iPhone, another one for the iPad.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
There are two models actually, one for the iPhone, another one for the iPad.

Oh, you are right. Wished I had known this when I bought my iPhone dock, as I could have bought the iPad dock and be done with both.

Anyway, I do like my Belkin iPhone dock. I would think the iPad version be as good.

Please write a review. I would love to know how you like it for docking, surfing while docking, etc..

Last edited:

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Oh, you are right. Wished I had known this when I bought my iPhone dock, as I could have bought the iPad dock and be done with both.

Anyway, I do like my Belkin iPhone dock. I would think the iPad version be as good.

Please write a review. I would love to know how you like it for docking, surfing while docking, etc..

Sure. No problem. I should receive the package in a few days. I'll tell you then how is it. ;)

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Simple dock for iPad Air?

Sorry for the delay, but I hope this could be still be useful for you.

I've tried the Belkin iPad dock for a few days, and so far I have mixed feelings.

On the bright side, it's what I've asked for: a simple dock for my nude iPad Air. It's very robust, and it doesn't wobble at all if you start using the iPad for web browsing or anything else.

The problem is that it doesn't wobble only in forward/back terms. Because of the way the Lightning connection has been installed on this thing (a little bit over the base line), it wobbles like hell to the sides (but I'm sure you could have already noticed this with the iPhone version). Therefore, it drives me a little nuts when I try to put my iPad Air and it ends up a little bit "sided" (specially since I'm close to have OCD).

That's why I always loved the Apple dock. You just put in your iPad and it stays there firmly. Sadly they don't seem to make those anymore.

Last edited:

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I have gone Everdock. I have the Duo next to my bed for nighttime charging, a Duo in my office for a home for my iPhone 5S and iPad Air, and a plain Everdock next to the couch in our living room for charging anyone's device in our household. All in all...they're the best docks I've ever used. Made from high quality materials (block of aluminum and colored to match the device, I have Space Grey) and they stay put when you pull your device from the dock. The ONLY downfall is that they can be a bit pricey and you have to supply your own Lightning cable and possibly a USB extension cable if you need it further from your charger/computer than the length of your regular cable. No wobble (with the right silicone insert...for with/without cases). You won't be able to fit an iPad of any sort on it with a case on more than likely. The iPhone fits pretty well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.