Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2014, 04:56 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Confirms Retirement of Senior Designer Greg Christie Later This Year

Apple has confirmed the departure of Greg Christie, part of the original team behind the iPhone. His leaving the company was previously reported by 9to5Mac and was said to follow a falling out between Christie and Jony Ive, Apple's design chief.

The WSJ reports that Christie's "human interface" team will now report to Jonathan Ive, rather than the company's software head Craig Federighi.

In a statement given to the Financial Times, Apple says that Christie has been planning to retire later this year and is still within the company.
Quote:
Greg has been planning to retire later this year after nearly 20 years at Apple. He has made vital contributions to Apple products across the board, and built a world-class Human Interface team which has worked closely with Jony for many years.
Christie has worked with Apple since 1996 and was credited with the development of the "Slide to Unlock" feature of iPhones and iPads, though he is named as an inventor on hundreds of other patents.

New York Times reporter Brian X. Chen tweeted that Christie's retirement was announced within the company "weeks ago".
Quote:
Was just told Apple VP Greg Christie's retirement was announced weeks ago. I don't know anything about Ive politics. - Brian X. Chen (@bxchen) April 9, 2014
Apple's statement doesn't directly address the rumor that Greg Christie and Jony Ive had clashed over design direction, nor does the company specify his current role.

Update 6:25PM PDT: TechCrunch reports that Christie's retirement has been known within the company for weeks and that there has "been a distinct lack of drama in this transition". The piece also says Christie will stay at Apple for a while longer working on "special projects", similar to former SVP Bob Mansfield, and that he has moved into a role with no direct reports.

Update 6:51PM PDT: John Gruber concurs, saying that his sources inside Apple say that while there have been disagreements between Christie and Ive, it isn't anything out of the ordinary. He also says Christie may be staying at the company through the end of the year.
Quote:
The basic gist I've heard is that Christie is a guy who's been in a high-pressure, high-profile job for 18 years, most of it reporting to Steve Jobs. He's made a lot of money and is ready to enjoy it. That's largely in line with the Apple PR line given to the WSJ, but I heard all of this from ground-level Cupertino-area pixel-pushing designers.
Article Link: Apple Confirms Retirement of Senior Designer Greg Christie Later This Year
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 04:56 PM   #2
jonyive4
Banned

Slide to retire.
jonyive4 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Skika
macrumors 68020

B-but my drama!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 04:58 PM   #4
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Damn you Jony! First Scott, then iOS and now Greg. Please make great hardware as you always do and give back UI/UX design to the experienced people.
mdridwan47 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 04:59 PM   #5
captain cadet
macrumors regular

It looks like he'll slide to let Ive take over now.
captain cadet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:00 PM   #6
Paradoxally
macrumors 6502

Now hire a good designer to transform those horrid icons into something elegant for iOS 8.
Paradoxally is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:01 PM   #7
iBlazed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdridwan47 View Post
Damn you Jony! First Scott, then iOS and now Greg. Please make great hardware as you always do and give back UI/UX design to the experienced people.
iOS 6 looked like crap, it was cute for 2007 but it was played out by 2011. The iOS 7 design is here to stay (for a couple of generations anyway), people really need to get over it. I think it's safe to say that with its incredible adoption rate the vast majority of people favor the redesign. I'm one of them. Scott was holding iOS back, and it would have set Apple back if iOS 7 came out without a complete UI overhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxally View Post
Now hire a good designer to transform those horrid icons into something elegant for iOS 8.
Fine, as long as they look nothing like iOS 6 icons.
iBlazed is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:01 PM   #8
0xyMoron
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Oh my lord...

Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:02 PM   #9
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502

Interesting they went out of their way to be sure to mention Jony and how closely he worked with the Human Interface team. Irrelevant if you're not trying to prove a point.
FrizzleFryBen is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:02 PM   #10
rdlink
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Nicely done. Only took until the fifth post to turn this article on a whole other subject into crying about iOS7. World record whining time.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:03 PM   #11
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

I never thought I'd be saying this, but with this new turn of events, and the never ending reaction to external 'make more money' forces, I am beginning to feel that Apple is losing its way. But then maybe it will take a new crisis before Apple gets a grip on itself. Or maybe it's true that without Jobs, our beautiful Apple, is slowly but surely morphing into a faceless megalithic money machine.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:04 PM   #12
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
dannyyankou is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:08 PM   #13
TennisandMusic

Damage control.
TennisandMusic is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:09 PM   #14
afsnyder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
Hilarious!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:09 PM   #15
jbyun04
macrumors 6502a

I don't understand, do the iOS7 icon haters stare at the icons more than they use the actual apps? Get over it.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:10 PM   #16
apolloa
macrumors 68040

Will be interesting to see where iOS and the iPhone are in 2 years now.

Lots of rats have escaped this ship since Jobs died, wonder if it's sinking and no one knows yet?
apolloa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:11 PM   #17
afsnyder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
I never thought I'd be saying this, but with this new turn of events, and the never ending reaction to external 'make more money' forces, I am beginning to feel that Apple is losing its way. But then maybe it will take a new crisis before Apple gets a grip on itself. Or maybe it's true that without Jobs, our beautiful Apple, is slowly but surely morphing into a faceless megalithic money machine.
I have a feeling that WE're just digging into it too much. The more they report on these things the more you/we feel like something is going wrong.

Trust me, nothing is wrong. The only thing different about Apple is the people who are working at Apple. If anything, different approaches to the same overall goals will be made and in some cases it will be for good and others for worse. You just have to wait and see what happens.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:11 PM   #18
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

I say not good for Apple.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:12 PM   #19
Chris1234d
macrumors newbie

You mean they made an announcement without a proper keynote presentation?!
Chris1234d is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:13 PM   #20
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Christie got a better send off than Forstall did. Ha.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:14 PM   #21
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Christie got a better send off than Forstall did. Ha.
Well considering Forstall was fired and Christie is leaving on his own will, that's not saying much.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:15 PM   #22
springsup
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
iOS 6 looked like crap, it was cute for 2007 but it was played out by 2011. The iOS 7 design is here to stay (for a couple of generations anyway), people really need to get over it. I think it's safe to say that with its incredible adoption rate the vast majority of people favor the redesign. I'm one of them. Scott was holding iOS back, and it would have set Apple back if iOS 7 came out without a complete UI overhaul.
I think that's an incredibly stretching thing to read from the adoption statistics of a required update.

There are lots of things I don't like about the iOS7 design, but the iPhone platform overall is much better and I'm praying that they sort the design issues out at some point. The icons are one of those issues - I don't like them, but I can live with them for now.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:16 PM   #23
Yojimbo007
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrizzleFryBen View Post
Interesting they went out of their way to be sure to mention Jony and how closely he worked with the Human Interface team. Irrelevant if you're not trying to prove a point.
Irrelevant?
He is going to be to chief honcho ! How is that irrelevant ?
Yojimbo007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:17 PM   #24
Paradoxally
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
Fine, as long as they look nothing like iOS 6 icons.
They don't need to look like iOS 6. But at least something that isn't inspired on an acid trip.
Paradoxally is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:18 PM   #25
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
Will be interesting to see where iOS and the iPhone are in 2 years now.

Lots of rats have escaped this ship since Jobs died, wonder if it's sinking and no one knows yet?
Apple employees at this level have been making a lot of money in the form of stock and bonuses for many years. After 20 years of service, he well deserves some time to start spending some of it. Smart move!
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion