Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaddestArvai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Wisconsin USA
I have 3 iBooks for sale that all have display issues. Before I put them up on eBay I thought I should ask the community if they would like to buy one. I am looking to sell each system as a whole.

System #1

600Mhz / 128MB Ram / 20GB HDD / HAS BATTERY

It boots completely to OSX but the screen stays completely black. I believe this is a video card problem and not a LCD problem. It has one major scratch on the top lid over the apple logo.

egu5agy3.jpg

yva2ure8.jpg

uqa3yjyn.jpg

6u7ymuby.jpg

Price: $15 + Shipping

System #2

700Mhz / 128MB Ram / 20GB HDD / NO BATTERY

This system is the worst of the 3. It has a cracked LCD, and apon powering up, the screen does not even try to light up. So this system might have a video card problem as well. Has some sticker residue on the lid (easily removable)

a6a7etas.jpg

huvytura.jpg

mure7ete.jpg

adugy7e3.jpg

Price: $8 + Shipping

System #3

700Mhz / 256MB Ram / 20GB HDD / HAS BATTERY

This system is the best out of the 3. It's the revised G3 with the white keyboard and palm rest. I'm pretty sure it boots to OSX. Once again, this one has a screen problem. The screen is in tact but there is something wrong with the cable/video card. I have seen this display work once when I opened the lid while it was powering on. I saw the Apple logo, then the screen kept refreshing thousands of lines that were different colors. After that I have not seen it work. This one has been written on with sharpie, but I'm sure you could get it off if you tried.

5y8ujeme.jpg

u5yvare8.jpg

depu4y7u.jpg

3aveseje.jpg

azy8ahuv.jpg

yremubuh.jpg

Price: $15 + Shipping

Or you can take all 3 for $30 + Shipping.

Last edited:

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Try booting them each again, but this time hold down very hard to the left of the trackpad with the palm of your hand.
If the display comes to life, then they have the well known bad solder on the graphics chip problem.
Can be solved temporarily by slipping a shim into the bottom case around the graphics chip area, but may not last long.

Cheers :)

Hugh

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was video card issues on all of them. As Hugh said, holding down on the left of the trackpad helps - it temporarily allows the video card to make full contact with the logic board.

BaddestArvai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Wisconsin USA
So I tried the video card trick and it worked! I was able to get two of the screens to show. One was the one with the cracked screen, and the other was the one with the no keyboard. I could not get the other one to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.