Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Apple, you can't increase display size! People need to smoke and hold on in trains and buses while feeding their social addiction, and oh yeah, they have tiny pockets too :rolleyes:

Some do - some don't .... thats why people want the choice to match their life style.

Its always funny how people think they have to force one way that they think of optimal based on their life style on everyone. Just because you consider e.g. a big/small screen as optimal does not mean it is optimal for everyone else. Thats why I would like apple to see to give us the choice so that I can stick with my small screen and others that prefer the bigger one can get that one. I already have iPad mini - I don't need a phone of almost similar dimensions - but others might want that.

Last edited:

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Apple, you can't increase display size! People need to smoke and hold on in trains and buses while feeding their social addiction, and oh yeah, they have tiny pockets too :rolleyes:

FYI, your presumption of what people are doing with their phones is both wrong and offensive. Social media is the least used function of my iPhone.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
I live in a metro area where I'm taking city transit on a daily basis. I need one hand to hang on so I don't go flying. One handed use is convenient for walking too.

But what are you doing with one hand on your phone?

Reading, browsing, watching photos, listening to music, typing (although even many iPhone users type with two hands anyway), and even some games can all be done on a bigger screen using one hand. Though some of that may be a stretch on a 5.5" screen, its not like Apple will only release a 5.5" iPhone.

Plus navigating menus with the current screen is already a stretch for many, which probably is why Apple has been introducing more and more gesture based navigation. The optimal size for one hand use is already something of the past (iPhone4S, 3G, etc.). And as we can see the move by Apple to bump up to the 4" iPhone 5, it is now time to make compromises since more and more users benefit more from a larger screen than a small screen you can comfortably use in one hand.

So it is a matter of preference (one hand use vs. benefits of bigger screen), and Apple hopefully will providing choice. It's not like the extra .7" will cripple the phone usability. And people who want their "phablets" can enjoy the benefits of 5.5" iPhone.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Where in the question does it say larger screen? :confused:

And how can the interest be at record levels when, according to so many here, iOS sucks? :confused:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well if they do release a bigger sized iPhone I hope that they still keep a 4 inch variant with the same specs as the bigger version. It's quite hard to say what the public wants on regard to screen sizes. There are some people who want a large screen (myself included). However at the moment buyers are not given a choice. If you want an iPhone you have to get a 4 inch display. Android manufacturers offer smaller devices but their specs pale in comparison to their larger screened offerings.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
If you didn't have a phone that required both hands to use you probably wouldn't ask the question. I have a 5s, but the overall physical size of the 4s was my favorite. I've had an iPhone since the original and like the ability to write, eat, drink, shuffle docs, etc. while using touchscreen. Have never dropped an iPhone. Every time there's a discussion of Samsung's plasticky phones, someone posts how great it is because they've "dropped it a dozen times without it breaking". That's what happens when you try to use an oversized phone with one hand. No thanks. Like minor head concussions, the damage is cumulative.

I had an iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4S. Loved them except for the screen size. Went to Nexus 5 and haven't noticed much of an inconvenience which is why I asked the original question. I dropped my 4S once and my N5 once so far, both protected in cases, neither suffered any damage.

D.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
My take

Here is my personal take -
I love my 5S and have no issues with screen size.
If it moved to 4.7", I would not complain. In fact, I'd buy it without really testing it out in the store.
If it moved to 5.5", I dont know. I would have to test it out.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
As nice as larger screens are, and quite frankly I'd love to have one, I've just always had trouble with them feeling comfortable in my hand.

With that being said, I wouldn't mind the next step up in screen resolution for the iPhone.

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
Apple can get back lost marketshare with larger iPhones, isn't that the only reason people switched to android ?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Where in the question does it say larger screen? :confused:

And how can the interest be at record levels when, according to so many here, iOS sucks? :confused:

I know you're mocking those on this forum. But we know the answer to that. For one - I'm guessing most of the general public doesn't care. Not about OSes or perhaps they don't know any different.

While the OS and hardware are firmly integrated on an iPhone. Most of the general public are buying an iPhone because it's an iPhone.

I find surveys like this useless anyway. I think it's pretty safe to say people would like a bigger screen. Just like people would answer positively to better battery life, more memory, faster speed, better camera.

I haven't overhead a single person at Best Buy, ATT, etc ever say "but that won't fit in my pocket - show me something smaller" or "Man - that looks like I'm talking with an iPad on my face"

Those comments are often made here though...

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Slightly presumptuous to tell people in the survey that it may feature a larger display even though they don't really have any solid evidence to prove this. I would love Apple to surprise everyone - 'We found that the 4inch display was actually too big, we're going back to the 4S!' :rolleyes:

You people that don't think Apple is releasing a larger iPhone KILL me. You really think they're sticking to 4" on the new phone? Give me a break.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
Apple can get back lost marketshare with larger iPhones, isn't that the only reason people switched to android ?

It's the only reason I switched to Android.
There are some things about Android I wish iOS would incorporate *cough Notifications *cough, but other than that, stick a larger screen on the iPhone and I'm back.

D.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Who was the poster yesterday who needed "more recent evidence" that people wanted larger iPhone screens?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I know you're mocking those on this forum. But we know the answer to that. For one - I'm guessing most of the general public doesn't care. Not about OSes or perhaps they don't know any different.

While the OS and hardware are firmly integrated on an iPhone. Most of the general public are buying an iPhone because it's an iPhone.

I find surveys like this useless anyway. I think it's pretty safe to say people would like a bigger screen. Just like people would answer positively to better battery life, more memory, faster speed, better camera.

I haven't overhead a single person at Best Buy, ATT, etc ever say "but that won't fit in my pocket - show me something smaller" or "Man - that looks like I'm talking with an iPad on my face"

Those comments are often made here though...

No, I really am confused as the question above the chart asks how likely it is that you will buy a new iPhone for yourself or someone else. Nowhere in the question does it mention a larger screen. And, just for the record, I have ZERO doubt that the next iPhone will sport a bigger screen. The second one yes, was somewhat mocking. But the question still stands; if iOS is so bad how can interest in a new iPhone be at record levels?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Duh...

Duh. Except for the few exceptions who hang out in macrumors type forums, most people want a larger screen smart phone by now.

Heck I refused to upgrade from my 4s as the 5 series screens weren't big enough (recently deciding whether I should get a Nexus 5 temporarily to hold me over for the 5.5" iPhone)

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
This is an honest question with no sarcastic undertones whatsoever, but can someone tell me exactly why one-handed use is a desired feature?

I have a Nexus 5 with a 5" screen and honestly don't ever find myself saying: Damn, I wish I could use this with one hand instead of two.

Again, honest question.

D.

I'll list 3 reasons for you. I went from iphone 4 to a Galaxy Note and sold it after a two months and went back to the iphone. The size was an issue. Here are where I found it to be most inconvenient.

1. drinking something in one hand while walking...need to look at map or text someone (had painful experience with hot coffee).

2. walking and holding something on one hand like a shopping bag.

3. writing something in one hand or having a mouse in one hand and navigating through the phone with the other (you can do this with big screen but once you have to type...url, email etc, you have to let go whatever you are doing with the other hand)

Mind you, you can do all these with big screen but to me, dropping what i have on the other hand to use a cell phone is a huge nope.

RMferrer

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2007
And lucky for them there was a company that wanted to make them.

Apple is not obliged to sell any thing it doesn't feel like selling.

The world wanted keyboard phones, remember?

And Apple wasn't supposed to make a mini ipad because so many people on this forum said it wasn't in Apples nature to do so....

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I'd rather like a tiny iPhone mini. With just iCal, Contacts, Mail, Music Player, Messages and phone capabilities.

Since I sit in front of a computer the whole day long I don't see why I need apps.
And when I'm abroad, I can't use any app like google maps because roaming prices are ridiculous. So I still ask people on the street for directions while having a fancy iphone in my pocket doing nothing.

There may be local plans you can temporarily use, but I see the problem.

xFerrr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Agree. I don't have a problem with a bigger screen.

Most of the cases I've used (I'm using the Apple one now) just make the global size of the iPhone bigger.

Even with a thin case like the one apple did for the iPhone it's not that easy for me to use one hand, and I may not have big hands, but not smalls either.

Plus, most of the time and even with a thick case, I can write easily and 1/2 a thumb still have space for a wider phone. The problem itself happens when I'm triying to reach top left. So in order to solve this problem, make a right triangle :V

This is an honest question with no sarcastic undertones whatsoever, but can someone tell me exactly why one-handed use is a desired feature?

I have a Nexus 5 with a 5" screen and honestly don't ever find myself saying: Damn, I wish I could use this with one hand instead of two.

Again, honest question.

D.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Duh. Except for the few exceptions who hang out in macrumors type forums, most people want a larger screen smart phone by now.

Heck I refused to upgrade from my 4s as the 5 series screens weren't big enough (recently deciding whether I should get a Nexus 5 temporarily to hold me over for the 5.5" iPhone)

We all want a larger screen size ... we just don't want it to be bulky :D

----------

While some certainly switched to Android, most of the Android marketshare comes from serving the low end market which is something Apple has little interest in doing since there is so little money to be made there.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I live in a metro area where I'm taking city transit on a daily basis. I need one hand to hang on so I don't go flying. One handed use is convenient for walking too.

+1

Walking, riding transit, checking something on my phone while stopped at a red light on my bike.

I think there's value in having a larger design - clearly plenty of people want it - but I'd like the option to continue to buy new models in the same form factor. I know a few friends who have purchased iPhones purely because they didn't want an enormous phone, and there's not many great options for smaller Androids on the market.

I've very rarely felt like I need a larger phone - if I need a larger screen, I usually bring my laptop or iPad along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.