Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
For those who use CC and LR, and the app, I've got a question.

Given the synching, is it any easier to get a workflow going that incorporates a desktop LR catalog and one on a laptop?

I use my iPad when I'm in situations in the boonies where I don't have much power and need something small, like camping. If it's a matter of office to home, it's LR on a desktop in one and laptop in the other.

I thought since LR 5.4 is going more cloudy and synchs with iPads, that perhaps the options for using LR on two different computers had gotten easier. But I got lost in all the hype on Adobe's site.

So anyone using CC, LR 5.4 know there's a synching option between laptop and desktop as well?

CHNO-Chris

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
Herts, UK
For those who use CC and LR, and the app, So anyone using CC, LR 5.4 know there's a synching option between laptop and desktop as well?

Don't think so.

But you could just use a mobile RAID solution to store your catalogue and images (dependent on number of images of course) an open the catalogue from that on whichever machine you happen to be working at.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
So anyone using CC, LR 5.4 know there's a synching option between laptop and desktop as well?

You can very easily have your library set up so that the actual RAW files and library are on a portable drive you can plug in to either device. That's been an option for a long time now. Is that what you wanted to achieve?

EDIT: CHNO (above) said that already, but with the "R" word...

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
No, I'm aware of the RAID/portable solution. Works OK with a laptop and a portable drive. I have taken to creating new catalogs on a thumb drive when I'm away, making sure to have a clone of an empty catalog that has the proper keyword sets, etc so that I can easily import when I return. But it seems kinda clunky, and I'd like to integrate the iPad more since I'm using that more often. But it, of course, doesn't play nice with externals. Ironically it's easier to move files around via my portable NAS (a HooToo TripMate Nano travel router with an attached thumbdrive), but you can't store the catalogs on NAS. Aargh.

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.