Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I'm about to install a 1,1 logic board into my 2,1 Mac Pro case (to replace what I'm pretty sure is a failed logic board). I want to put my Xeon E5345's back in to this machine, but do I need to the Netkas firmware update to bring it up to 2,1 for these CPU's to work?

I'm planning to do the firmware upgrade, but just wondering if I can boot the E5345's with 1,1 firmware and then upgrade the firmware. I have CPUs that come with the 1,1, but I don't want to go through the CPU swap process if I don't have to.

Also, I'm assuming a 1,1 logic board will work in a 2,1 Mac Pro case. From what I understand there shouldn't be any difference other than firmware. Am I wrong?

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Turns out the logic board I bought is already a 2,1 (or may have been flashed to 2,1). I had ended up trying the E5345's to start out with and it worked. Yay!

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
To answer your question, you do NOT NEED to flash your firmware, but it's so harmless and helps with the SMC profiles of the E5300 Xeons that it's almost dumb not to do it. Glad your upgrade worked, congrats on your new Dual Quad Core.
-N

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.