Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I find that people who have spent their lives listening to music through crummy laptop speakers often say similar things.

There are people who claim they can hear the difference between 44-96-192 and 16-24. I'm not one of them. But it depends on your setup as well. I have a very expensive setup but my room is not treated. So even with this high end setup I can't tell the difference between CD and 192/24.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
But songs will sound the same to our ears. We can hardly hear the difference between 256 kbps and 320 kbps songs. This will be the same case.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
According to music blogger Robert Hutton, who cites an unspecified source, Apple is going to roll out hi-res iTunes music downloads in early June, possibly at WWDC.

Roll out at WWDC? Unless they've got a developers kit for it, I'm not sure how this fits into a developer conference that has nothing to do with music.

I really can't remember when they announced iTunes Match (but that was an iOS feature) so who knows...

Gary

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
There are people who claim they can hear the difference between 44-96-192 and 16-24. I'm not one of them. But it depends on your setup as well. I have a very expensive setup but my room is not treated. So even with this high end setup I can't tell the difference between CD and 192/24.

I appreciate your honesty. I can't imagine I'd be able to tell either, despite my obsession with increasing my aural palette. However to call it a 'placebo' as Razeus did is going a little far, I think. :)

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Just the same old industry tactic that's been going on for decades. Sell them music they already purchased on a "new format". No thanks. 16-bit/256k is damn good and I can barely the difference between iTunes and the CD 5% of the time.

This is why streaming is the feature. Negates all of this nonsense.

It is better to have options. If you do not want it, then simply do not buy it. I am thrilled to have this available and will purchase some tracks/records worthy of the file size.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I thought to really take advantage of higher fidelity, the player also needs to have a high quality chip.

Would the iPhone/iPod's DAC be able to handle the bump in quality?

They'd definitely need to upgrade the codec. They're behind in that respect to some android device makers who have gone in on higher quality codecs.

Here's to hoping they allow upgrades to the 24bit quality via iTunes match.

My thought as well.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California

This is similar to the wine or cigar aficionados that claim they taste huge differences in wine or cigars over the price ranges. This may be true to them, but for the general population the difference isn't noticeable. So it is a big deal to a select population and not a deal at all to the others.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Of course the streaming is lossless and has the quality of the new format ?

You're acting as if streaming can't go this route. The industry already has the 24-bit/192k files archived. It's not like they'll have to scramble to make them.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Looking forward to this but do I have buy all my albums and songs again? I hope not

No, you can keep them just they way they are. Just like you never needed to upgrade from cassette to CD.

But seriously: I'm sure Apple will offer an upgrade path like when they started upgrading music before. What did they have us do before, pay the difference (maybe a little less for a full album)?

It'll be interesting to see how they integrate this with iTunes Match.
Stream the 256k version but make you download the larger files?
ITunes Match HD? (for $100 a year, we'll upgrade all your files?)

If you really can't hear the difference, I'm sure it's worth waiting a few years for the price to drop (and maybe future iTunes match integration).

I wouldn't have been shocked if iTunes match eventually got upgraded to 320k files, they might have to compete with other music services (but if there is a HD service, who knows).

Gary

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
.... Do i have to buy all my music AGAIN? do i have to pay a premiumm upgrade fee just to get better quality of the same music?

Sounds like a desperate money grab

iTunes Plus was the same way when it was introduced--either get the 128 Kbps music with DRM, or get the 256 Kbps file as plain AAC for a little more. You could also "upgrade" previous purchases to iTunes Plus for less than the price of a re-purchase.

I suspect they will have an upgrade option available for the "high def" files. Of course, now iTunes Match exists, as well, so who knows what file type it will choose to match with now. I assume, however, that the 24-bit files will eventually become the norm.

we bought zeppelin on

vinyl
reel to reel
8-track
cassette
cd
mini disc
sa cd
hd dvd
blueray
mp3
m4a
aiff
wav
ringtone
flac
and now they want to make a new format ?! :mad:

No Thanks!

If you already have it on FLAC, shouldn't you be able to convert it to whatever format you want without any degradation beyond whatever may be inherent with your destination format? And you don't have to buy a 24-bit file if your 16-bit file is working just fine. Unlike trying to use your cassette tape songs on an iPod, this will keep working just fine.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Apple should move on. People don't care about fidelity.

Audio quality has gotten worse with every new format starting with the CD. Are the masses going to pay more for quality audio files, or continue to stream for pennies.

The pennies win.

B

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I dont really like streaming for my music to be fair, especially mobile with really expensive and low mobile data caps that we have in Canada.

I also like owning a copy of the music in DRM free local files so that I have control over it. I can choose where and when to listen to. I put Mp3's on a memory stick for the car. Ipod Touch, or my phone.

i'm not against streaming. it works for many things. But if I'm paying for music on an individual basis. I want to actually have a copy, thats all. Though, I still buy physical CD's to rip sometimes. But I do currently buy most of my music Digitally from iTunes.

All streaming services that I know of allow you to download files to your device with a paid subscription. The talk about data caps is moot. Streaming is the future.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
nice theory, now back to practical issues

Hi-res is all well and good but poor resolution is not the big problem facing Apple and iTunes. And - good luck with trying to charge a buck-per-track more for hi-res versions. My habit is to buy the physical CD from Amazon and rip that to Apple Lossless, except when the CD price is excessive (mostly older stuff). It costs a buck or two more (per CD, not per track) and I have the ability to do with it whatever I want. Although Amazon does Auto-Rip for many CDs I prefer to do the lossless thing myself.

iTunes Radio could be a good boost for sales of tunes but Apple does NOT have its act together. This could be -- could be -- the easy way to introduce people to new genres and new artists. But the playlists are way too shallow, and songs repeat too soon so that listeners are discouraged and go elsewhere.

If Apple wants to move in the music area then it would do well to focus on iTunes Radio. Hi-res is fine and some people will like it but it is not where the action is.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So basically for the average user, Apple will be saying "Here, you can buy the old version of the song for $1.29 OR for $2.00 you can buy the exact same version that will likely sound exactly the same to you, but will have HD next to it and take up more space on your iPod."

Essentially they are the salesman off of Family Guy.

I've got some volcano insurance I'd like to sell those people - wonder if Apple would give me their contact info....

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I'd imagine there'd be an "upgrade" option like when there was one previously.

I love listening to music but know my speakers/headphones are nothing special and doubt I'd notice the difference.

and to people asking: NO, you don't NEED to buy it again. Apple is NOT FORCING anyone to buy songs again.

They will tout it as Retina for your ears or something and how the clarity brings out the 'true' audio flavor...it will feel like you are listening live and experience a concert in your head. Basically they will make you WANT to buy the music again and in the new HD format.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
But... if you can iTunes match all your 128K ones... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd let you. The music industry has already resorted to giving away their music for pennies anyway.

I still keep my music in digital file form, so it's not like I'm getting rid of them. I still have my CD's boxed up in a storage closet because I can't get the nerve to get rid of them. But I'm making a strong move to archive my digital music files and go strictly stream service with the offline download options.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Apple should move on. People don't care about fidelity.

Audio quality has gotten worse with every new format starting with the CD. Are the masses going to pay more for quality audio files, or continue to stream for pennies.

The pennies win.

B

On the contrary -- audio quality has got better. It's dynamic range that's suffered.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No, you can keep them just they way they are. Just like you never needed to upgrade from cassette to CD.

But seriously: I'm sure Apple will offer an upgrade path like when they started upgrading music before. What did they have us do before, pay the difference (maybe a little less for a full album)?

It'll be interesting to see how they integrate this with iTunes Match.
Stream the 256k version but make you download the larger files?
ITunes Match HD? (for $100 a year, we'll upgrade all your files?)

If you really can't hear the difference, I'm sure it's worth waiting a few years for the price to drop (and maybe future iTunes match integration).

I wouldn't have been shocked if iTunes match eventually got upgraded to 320k files, they might have to compete with other music services (but if there is a HD service, who knows).

Gary

I really hope they wouldn't think the HD quality would be worth quadrupling the price of the existing service....double MAYBE. Though I'm thinking more like $34.99 - $49.99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.