Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
OSX running on ARM is only half a solution. You also have to consider all the 3rd party applications that are commonly used on a Mac, like Photoshop, Pixelmator, inDesign, FCPX, Maya, Modo, etc. etc., and so on. How long would it take developers to port their higher end programs to an entirely new architecture? Would people be willing to put up with their absence in the interim?
I do not expect every software title to be ported to ARM, nor do I expect people to run out and buy an ARM-based Mac to run their high-end software, but there is a lot of software that can be ported. Maya, Modo, and other titles like those are ones that I do not expect to get ported to the ARM architecture.

I do not think Apple will release FCPX for ARM, but I do see them releasing a front-end application that lets people edit video on their Mac while the Mac Pro does the processing in the background.

Renzatic

Suspended
I do not expect every software title to be ported to ARM, nor do I expect people to run out and buy an ARM-based Mac to run their high-end software, but there is a lot of software that can be ported. Maya, Modo, and other titles like those are ones that I do not expect to get ported to the ARM architecture.

I do not think Apple will release FCPX for ARM, but I do see them releasing a front-end application that lets people edit video on their Mac while the Mac Pro does the processing in the background.

If it goes that route, I think it'd be far better to expand the capabilities of the iPad than go with an ARM Macbook that focuses on lower end applications. If Apple goes with the latter, they'll have a 3rd platform to support that might address some of the weaknesses of the other two, but doesn't share any of their strengths. It'd be an unhappy medium.

Like your example for an FCPX frontend? There's no reason why that couldn't be done on a higher specced iPad with a stylus. In a lot of ways, I could see that as being a better option than using an MBA, provided it's done well.

Apple already has a ton of support for iOS, and people would be far more likely to flock to an iPad Pro to do their professional support work than they would a Half-Mac because of that.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
OSX running on ARM is only half a solution. You also have to consider all the 3rd party applications that are commonly used on a Mac, like Photoshop, Pixelmator, inDesign, FCPX, Maya, Modo, etc. etc., and so on. How long would it take developers to port their higher end programs to an entirely new architecture? Would people be willing to put up with their absence in the interim?

A Mac with OSX running on ARM wouldn't have the expectation of running high-end software like Photoshop, Maya, etc.. I can see it being aimed at a user that doesn't need all the power / capabilities of a rMBP but needs something more capable than an iPad. I see a device like this more akin to a Chromebook.

actuallyinaus

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2013
interesting..
how do i 'force' my mac to use hardware encoding?
I'm watching netflix on a MBP with an ATI 6770m GPU

it would be an option in your media player, if your media player does not have the options you'll have to find another media player

ZipZapRap

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
A Mac with OSX running on ARM wouldn't have the expectation of running high-end software like Photoshop, Maya, etc.. I can see it being aimed at a user that doesn't need all the power / capabilities of a rMBP but needs something more capable than an iPad. I see a device like this more akin to a Chromebook.

what you're describing is Windows RT.. and as a Surface RT owner, I can say it has its drawbacks..

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple's ARM chips will be in Macbook Air's.

That's one of the reasons for making the 64-bit chip.

Just watch. WWDC2014

;)

And you can keep saying it again and again and the only thing you're accomplishing is showing the world that you are totally ignorant about this technology.

An ARM Chip in a desktop class computer? LOL..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.