Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hi all.

I had installed 10.9 server version on my Mac Mini for some work I was going to do with it. Turns out I'm not going to be doing that project and the server version is actually confusing some other stuff I'm trying to do.

How can I install regular 10.9 again? Preferably without a full wipe and re-install of all my apps and data!

Thanks,

David

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all.

I had installed 10.9 server version on my Mac Mini for some work I was going to do with it. Turns out I'm not going to be doing that project and the server version is actually confusing some other stuff I'm trying to do.

Just stop any services you may have running in Server.app, then delete Server.app and the following files and directories:
/Library/Server
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.serverd.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.servermgrd.plist

It's probably unnecessary to reboot but it can't hurt to do so after deleting those.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Just stop any services you may have running in Server.app, then delete Server.app and the following files and directories:
/Library/Server
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.serverd.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.servermgrd.plist

It's probably unnecessary to reboot but it can't hurt to do so after deleting those.

Thanks! I had read that they had made "server" basically one app so I hoped it would be simple like this.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks! I had read that they had made "server" basically one app so I hoped it would be simple like this.

Another question on this:

chrfr's suggestion worked fine. However, Software Update is now trying to get me to install an OSX Server update. How do I get it to know that I don't have this installed anymore?

Thanks -
David

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
However, Software Update is now trying to get me to install an OSX Server update. How do I get it to know that I don't have this installed anymore?

At the risk of replying with incomplete (and perhaps dangerous!) information, I believe that the skeleton will be found in /Library/Receipts.

A.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I believe that the skeleton will be found in /Library/Receipts.

Receipts go into /var/db/receipts now.

----------

Software Update is now trying to get me to install an OSX Server update. How do I get it to know that I don't have this installed anymore?

You'll be prompted to update if you have a copy of the app on any attached disk. If you don't have a copy somewhere, run this code in Terminal:
Code:
sudo pkgutil --forget com.apple.pkg.ServerApp
and enter your password when prompted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.