Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J R R

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Yorks, UK
There seems to be some issues with Adobe 13.0.. updates today with some mac hardware. I have updated a Feb 2011 Macbookpro running latest OS X and Safari with no issues, yet my mid-2007 iMac (all latest software updates) just shows "plug in failure" where I would expect flash windows - including the front page of MacRumours.

Adobe are aware, but looking at their forums they have not yet replicated the issue, which would seem to be suspiciously hardware based.

Might be worth holding off for a day or so, especially if you have older hardware.

wasjoe

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks for that. I just upgraded per Adobe's installer on a late 2006 Mac Pro, and am experiencing the "Plug in Failure" grey tag in place of Flash content.

Then I went to the Adobe forums to see what they had, and they're down for a "major update".

Not covering themselves in glory, Adobe is.

----------

Update, I just tried to uninstall Flash, which appeared to work. Then re-install the old version (I keep old installers), and the old version failed to install. I assume it requires some participation from Adobe's servers, which would explain that failure. Ugh.

No Flash for me, I guess...

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
You can always try chrome if you cant get the installer to cooperate. It uses a built-in version by default (not the system-wide version via the adobe installer).

May be worth a try if the adobe installer is being a pain.

xamp

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2006
Can anyone running OSX 10.8 or 10.9 please send a crash log and your mac model number to ccampbel@adobe.com? Adobe is investigating this problem but needs more info.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Same thing happened this morning to mid 2007 iMac running Mavericks. Flash 13 also did the same thing to a Lenovo i3 laptop running Windows 7.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Same thing happened this morning to mid 2007 iMac running Mavericks. Flash 13 also did the same thing to a Lenovo i3 laptop running Windows 7.

Send those log files that were posted by xamp for both OS X and Windows to his email address. He replied to me after I sent my log files to him and he sent a link to the older version for now.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Did the Flash player update on a 2012 iMac, no problem -- haven't been on the 2013 yet today to update it but I don't anticipate any problems. Sounds as though the issue is with older machines, so I'm heeding this warning and won't attempt to update my older Mac Mini and older MBP.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Adobe has identified this as a known issue which affects older Macs:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/6285851#6285851

We have determined that this problem is due to a compiler update in our build infrastructure that exposed a long-standing bug in a Mac system library. Flash Player now attempts to use CPU instructions that are not available on a subset of supported Mac hardware from 2006 to 2007. None of the machines in our compatibility labs are affected, so the issue didn't show up in our testing, but we were able to track down a machine that reproduces the issue yesterday. We're actively working on a fix and I'll update this post again once we have more information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.