Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fluxx-koen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2014
Hej guys,

I've tried to search on the internet for a solution, but couldn't find a straight answer. So thats why i'm trying my luck here.

i reinstalled my computer yesterday (command + R), cleared the whole HD and reinstalled mavericks on my iMac.

But since that time, i have strange startup users.
I have disabled the guest account, but it still shows up after a restart.
But what is the middle one? i can't seem to disable that one either...

When i put in my password.. it takes me to a normal login screen.. with my normal account. (dark grey background)..

Is there anyone who can help me??

Attachments

• IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 76

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can you explain how you cleared the drive and reinstalled, the what you did after that? Try and explain step by step what you did.

Fluxx-koen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2014
Well i was holding command+R to arrive in the recovery mode
i chose disk utility and formatted the HD.. i chose to reinstall mavericks.. and that resulted in this..

not anything more that i did.

(maybe it has something to do with file vault?)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well i was holding command+R to arrive in the recovery mode
i chose disk utility and formatted the HD.. i chose to reinstall mavericks.. and that resulted in this..

not anything more that i did.

(maybe it has something to do with file vault?)

It likely is related to Filevault. You cannot get rid of that Guest account if you have Filevault on.

Is it okay if we wipe your disk again?

Make sure you know your AppleID that was used to purchase Mavericks.

Get a 1GB or larger USB key and use this utility from Apple to make a recovery key with your iMac. Now option key boot and select the USB key to boot from. This way you will be running from the USB key and we can completely erase your hard drive.

Once the recovery screen comes up start Disk Utility and select the drive brand name at the very top (like 1TB Seagate or whatever). Then in the erase tab select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" in the drop down then apply the change. The key here is to select the drive itself, and not just the Macintosh HD partition.

Now quit Disk Utility then click Reinstall OS X to install the OS. Enter your AppleID if requested. The ~5GB OS will then DL and install. You can setup an account at the end of the install.

When you turn on Filevault it makes some changes to the system that cause it to boot from the hidden Recovery HD partition and show a password entry screen. Once you enter the password there the system reverts back over to the main Macintosh HD partition and boots form the now unlocked, encrypted partition.

I think what you did by erasing only Macintosh HD and reinstalling was leave behind a Filevault modified recovery partition so you are now in limbo with a hybrid system.

Once the clean install is done, you can go back into System Preferences and turn Filevault back on if you want. But don't try to remove the guest account. It needs to be there with Filevault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.