Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:37 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Alleged iPhone 6 Cases Surface, Apparently Based on Recent Design Drawings

A photo reportedly showing cases designed for the larger iPhone 6 has been posted by Mobile Fun (via Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate]. While exact sizes are not apparent from the photo and no comparison with existing iPhone cases sizes is shown, the cases are said to be for 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch iPhone 6 models, consistent with design drawings published by Japanese magazine MacFan late last month.

Most sources have been reporting that the larger iPhone 6 will carry a 5.5-inch display, although the MacFan drawings and a few other sources have continued to point to a 5.7-inch display.

It is not entirely clear whether these cases are based on the same design drawings or come from another source, but they do appear to be very consistent with the drawings. Like the drawings and our renderings based on them, the cases include a hole for a button on the left side of the top edge of the device. This has been presumed to be the power button for the iPhone 6, which would be a change from its current location on the right side of the top edge.

Side (1) and top (2) button cutouts (Annotated by Nowhereelse.fr)
The cases also include a cutout along the right side of the case, a feature that is also shown in the design drawings. The purpose of the cutout is unknown, but it is possible that this could in fact be the power button given that analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed earlier this week that the power button would move to the side of the device. If this is indeed the case, then the function of the top button on the iPhone 6 drawings becomes unknown.

Article Link: Alleged iPhone 6 Cases Surface, Apparently Based on Recent Design Drawings
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

Several months too soon?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:39 AM   #3
DFZD
macrumors regular

It's still a good six months too early to start building cheap-crystal cases, don't they think?

22 iMac Late 2011 with Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, iPad Air with Logitech KB, iPod touch 5G. Xperia Z Ultra.
DFZD is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:40 AM   #4
bobbytallant
macrumors 6502

Classic Macrumors article/article title.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:40 AM   #5
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Top button: shutter button?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Kobayagi
macrumors 6502

I'm starting te believe it. Remember these last few years. Almost all these leaks with cases etc. turned out to be true. No recent iPhone or iPad was a total surprise on the physical appearance part.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:41 AM   #7
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Gonna snap up one of those purdy clear plastic cases right now.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:41 AM   #8
k3ith
macrumors member

I think the size of the iPhone 5/s is so awkward. I can't believe they're keeping the same screen dimensions and just making it bigger. Huge missed opportunity.
k3ith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:43 AM   #9
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 68000

Apple are making the first translucent phone! :P
MartinAppleGuy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:43 AM   #10
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayagi View Post
I'm starting te believe it. Remember these last few years. Almost all these leaks with cases etc. turned out to be true. No recent iPhone or iPad was a total surprise on the physical appearance part.
Uh, case leaks thought the 4s was going to be drastically different than what actually came out.
cmChimera is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytallant View Post
Classic Macrumors article/article title.
Really hard up for new these days.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:45 AM   #12
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Sounds like we have a lock on these new iPhones. Part of me still thinks that the 5.5" is just a red herring, but I hope I'm wrong.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:46 AM   #13
Mago
macrumors 6502a

Both the case and the 5.6" iPhone 6 are fake .

1- power button is at top for one reason: its logical, and intuitive to find (unless you're an android hardcore fan, btw some android device also have power button on top).

2- if Apple builds a 5.6" iDevice will be an iPod Touch focused on gamers/kids, loaded with an bigger screen (with lower quality) and a battery strong enough for 3h of harcore gameplay.
Mago is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:46 AM   #14
1Zach1
macrumors 6502a

Dedicated shutter release.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:46 AM   #15
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

a cheap plastic case...I'm sure this will confirm the new iPhone sizes
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:47 AM   #16
Bare
macrumors regular

I foresee the 5+ inch phone being delayed and Apple making NO mention of it when releasing the 4.7 inch phone. Then we all go out and buy the 4.7, and by the Holidays, suddenly the 5+ inch phone gets released!

I wish I had more faith in Apple to roll them out at the same time or at least give us info on the larger phone, but I'm skeptical.
Bare is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:50 AM   #17
DFZD
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
I foresee the 5+ inch phone being delayed and Apple making NO mention of it when releasing the 4.7 inch phone. Then we all go out and buy the 4.7, and by the Holidays, suddenly the 5+ inch phone gets released!

I wish I had more faith in Apple to roll them out at the same time or at least give us info on the larger phone, but I'm skeptical.
I think they will announce both on the same day and maybe launch seperately. Kind of like how they did with iPad Mini and Air last year.

22 iMac Late 2011 with Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, iPad Air with Logitech KB, iPod touch 5G. Xperia Z Ultra.
DFZD is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:50 AM   #18
efktd
macrumors regular

thanks for the red circles Nowhereelse.fr
efktd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:52 AM   #19
MarcoB
macrumors newbie

This case is very similar to some iPhone 6 images in an article at Cult of Mac by John Brownlee April 10th. The round edges seams to fit perfectly.

Another thing is that a transparent case is a perfect case to not hide the beautiful design of the iPhone 6.

http://www.cultofmac.com/273907/here...gger-iphone-6/

Last edited by MarcoB; Apr 11, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
MarcoB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:53 AM   #20
Kobayagi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
Uh, case leaks thought the 4s was going to be drastically different than what actually came out.
I was thinking more about the 5 and 5s, and the iPad Air and Mini. But okay, I'm not saying they were always correct. Just seemed to me, people never got the ''wow, what a surprise'' reaction when Apple announced them, because they already had a pretty good idea what the upcoming devices would look like.

Last edited by Kobayagi; Apr 11, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
Kobayagi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:00 AM   #21
starbird
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFZD View Post
I think they will announce both on the same day and maybe launch seperately. Kind of like how they did with iPad Mini and Air last year.
I agree. I know people like to talk about Apple's planned obselecence, but the fact is that is not true. They will announce both and release them when they are ready. Doesn't really matter to me - 5.5", 5.6", 5.7" - I am sticking with the 4.7". My wife? I'll let her decide, but she might even just want the 5s.
starbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:01 AM   #22
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Do you reckon "analyst Ming-Chi Kuo" has to pay for every time he is mentioned?
prowlmedia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:02 AM   #23
Serban
macrumors 68030

i still think this are iphone 5 and iphone 5.5" dimensions because the size difference is to much to be 4.7" and 5.5"
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:03 AM   #24
Dave532
macrumors member

I don't think I'd want a phone which is bigger than a Nexus 5, so if they do go for a larger phone the 4.7 inch one will be the best fit.

That said, the phone I own that fits best in my shirt pocket is the iPhone 4S, my 5s and Nexus stick out the top. If I'm wearing a shirt I'd rather put my phone in that pocket rather than my jeans as it's better protected up there!

Currently the 5s is my main phone, I like the Nexus but the quality of the speaker and the camera is nowhere near as good (but consider the price different, the N5 is cheaper than an iPhone 5c!).
Dave532 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:04 AM   #25
MarcoB
macrumors newbie

The mockups in the article came from www.nowhereelse.fr.

Where is another one.

MarcoB is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion