Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A photo reportedly showing cases designed for the larger iPhone 6 has been posted by Mobile Fun (via Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate]. While exact sizes are not apparent from the photo and no comparison with existing iPhone cases sizes is shown, the cases are said to be for 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch iPhone 6 models, consistent with design drawings published by Japanese magazine MacFan late last month.

Most sources have been reporting that the larger iPhone 6 will carry a 5.5-inch display, although the MacFan drawings and a few other sources have continued to point to a 5.7-inch display.

iphone_6_cases_crystal.jpg
It is not entirely clear whether these cases are based on the same design drawings or come from another source, but they do appear to be very consistent with the drawings. Like the drawings and our renderings based on them, the cases include a hole for a button on the left side of the top edge of the device. This has been presumed to be the power button for the iPhone 6, which would be a change from its current location on the right side of the top edge.

iphone_6_cases_crystal_annotated.jpg
Side (1) and top (2) button cutouts (Annotated by Nowhereelse.fr)
The cases also include a cutout along the right side of the case, a feature that is also shown in the design drawings. The purpose of the cutout is unknown, but it is possible that this could in fact be the power button given that analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed earlier this week that the power button would move to the side of the device. If this is indeed the case, then the function of the top button on the iPhone 6 drawings becomes unknown.

Article Link: Alleged iPhone 6 Cases Surface, Apparently Based on Recent Design Drawings

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
It's still a good six months too early to start building cheap-crystal cases, don't they think? :)

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I'm starting te believe it. Remember these last few years. Almost all these leaks with cases etc. turned out to be true. No recent iPhone or iPad was a total surprise on the physical appearance part.

k3ith

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
New York, NY
I think the size of the iPhone 5/s is so awkward. I can't believe they're keeping the same screen dimensions and just making it bigger. Huge missed opportunity.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I'm starting te believe it. Remember these last few years. Almost all these leaks with cases etc. turned out to be true. No recent iPhone or iPad was a total surprise on the physical appearance part.

Uh, case leaks thought the 4s was going to be drastically different than what actually came out.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Sounds like we have a lock on these new iPhones. Part of me still thinks that the 5.5" is just a red herring, but I hope I'm wrong.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Both the case and the 5.6" iPhone 6 are fake .

1- power button is at top for one reason: its logical, and intuitive to find (unless you're an android hardcore fan, btw some android device also have power button on top).

2- if Apple builds a 5.6" iDevice will be an iPod Touch focused on gamers/kids, loaded with an bigger screen (with lower quality) and a battery strong enough for 3h of harcore gameplay.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
I foresee the 5+ inch phone being delayed and Apple making NO mention of it when releasing the 4.7 inch phone. Then we all go out and buy the 4.7, and by the Holidays, suddenly the 5+ inch phone gets released!

I wish I had more faith in Apple to roll them out at the same time or at least give us info on the larger phone, but I'm skeptical.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
I foresee the 5+ inch phone being delayed and Apple making NO mention of it when releasing the 4.7 inch phone. Then we all go out and buy the 4.7, and by the Holidays, suddenly the 5+ inch phone gets released!

I wish I had more faith in Apple to roll them out at the same time or at least give us info on the larger phone, but I'm skeptical.

I think they will announce both on the same day and maybe launch seperately. Kind of like how they did with iPad Mini and Air last year.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Uh, case leaks thought the 4s was going to be drastically different than what actually came out.

I was thinking more about the 5 and 5s, and the iPad Air and Mini. But okay, I'm not saying they were always correct. Just seemed to me, people never got the ''wow, what a surprise'' reaction when Apple announced them, because they already had a pretty good idea what the upcoming devices would look like.

Last edited:

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I think they will announce both on the same day and maybe launch seperately. Kind of like how they did with iPad Mini and Air last year.

I agree. I know people like to talk about Apple's planned obselecence, but the fact is that is not true. They will announce both and release them when they are ready. Doesn't really matter to me - 5.5", 5.6", 5.7" - I am sticking with the 4.7". My wife? I'll let her decide, but she might even just want the 5s.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i still think this are iphone 5 and iphone 5.5" dimensions because the size difference is to much to be 4.7" and 5.5"

Dave532

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2014
I don't think I'd want a phone which is bigger than a Nexus 5, so if they do go for a larger phone the 4.7 inch one will be the best fit.

That said, the phone I own that fits best in my shirt pocket is the iPhone 4S, my 5s and Nexus stick out the top. If I'm wearing a shirt I'd rather put my phone in that pocket rather than my jeans as it's better protected up there!

Currently the 5s is my main phone, I like the Nexus but the quality of the speaker and the camera is nowhere near as good (but consider the price different, the N5 is cheaper than an iPhone 5c!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.