Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KellydenAdel

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
I found this over at apple board, you think this is right? Makes sense.

Proper understanding of a battery charge cycle

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, whether that is at once, or over several shorter battery discharges and recharges.

Two examples for clarification:

As a first example, where one fully charged battery is discharged down to 10%, then fully recharged, then using 10% of that full charge, this counts as 1 cycle since the total of both discharges is 100% of a full charge of use.

In the second example, where one fully charged battery is discharged down to 40%, then fully recharged, then using 40% of that full charge, this also counts as 1 cycle since the total of both discharges is 100% of a full charge of use.

While both examples are that of a single charge cycle, the first example is more aggressive against the lithium battery chemistry than is the second example. In short, collective overall gentle shallow or mid-range draining of your lithium battery is a better use condition than is the first example of deep-draining of the battery. While both are quantitatively identical as a single charging cycle, they are wholly different qualitatively on the battery chemistry, which is directly related to its ultimate longevity and health.

In short, it is the near and mid-term life of the battery as relates to its proper care (or lack thereof) that is to be looked after.

Priorities in order of decreasing importance for battery care are:

1. Avoiding deep discharges of the battery.

2. Avoiding having your battery constantly on charge or on charge and in sleep mode.

3. When playing graphics intense games, use your notebook plugged in when possible.

4. Reduction of battery cycles by plugging into power when on the go, or when accessible.

A person who has, for example, 300 charge cycles on their battery and is recharging at say 40% remaining of a 100% charge has a better battery condition state than, say, another person who has 300 charge cycles on their battery and is recharging at say 10-15% remaining on a 100% charge. DoD (depth of discharge) is vitally important on the wear and tear on your Macbook’s battery, much more so than is the counting of charge cycles. There is no set “mile” or wear from a charge cycle in specific. Frequent high depth of discharge rates (draining the battery very low) on a Lithium battery will greatly hasten the lowering of maximum battery capacity.

Understand that a charge cycle is a general parameter of use, but is not directly related to the short-term or mid-term abuse of the battery, which can rapidly hasten a shorter lifespan, regardless of what the actual cycle count on the battery indicates.

Proper considerations for near-term care of the battery is of utmost importance. Abuse of the battery is entirely avoidable, long-term eventual old age deterioration of the battery is entirely unavoidable.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Far too many words and far too much time thinking about ones battery.

KISS - keep it simple stupid

Use your battery when you need to, charge your battery when you can, and replace it when it dies.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
8 maybe 9 paragraphs (term used loosely) is simple??

Tell me do you also count the number of times you turn off and on your light bulbs? Because you know everytime you cycle them it shortens their life span.

You bought a laptop to use, not worry about how many cycles the battery has on it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Using 100% of a charge wether it's 50/50 60/40 etc is one cycle that's not rocket science.

Honestly don't thing about it to much. The battery likes to be used occasionally and you should try to cycle the battery at least once a month as a minimum.

Draining the battery to 0% every time isn't needed the battery will not suffer from the memory effect.

When the battery is at 0% it's not really flat either.

twingo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2009
The right way to look at battery charge cycles for users of a notebook is to just let the machine do the job. The engineers at apple take care for you.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Go by the KISS method myself. For my laptops I don't use apps like coconut that report battery cycles, I just use the laptop as I need it. Charge when it needs it.

For phones, same thing. The battery is run down, charge it up.

I don't think we need to over-complicate things.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
my macbook has 31 cycles in 5.9 months, i still have 102.5% health of my battery. i keep it at my desk plugged in all the time, and when i go to school i don't even bother bringing a charger and it will usually drain to 70-80 by the time i get home. rarely i use it on the couch and once or twice a month ill try to drain it all the way down. i don't really care about how good my battery is i have always just done it this way so hopefully, my mac's battery will have a long, healthy life.

KellydenAdel

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
Draining the battery to 0% every time isn't needed the battery will not suffer from the memory effect.

Youre NEVER supposed to do that on a current macbook

There is no calibration of current Apple portable Macbooks with built-in batteries.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

There is no battery calibration with current Apple portable Macbooks with built-in batteries. Lithium batteries have essentially a 0-‘memory’, and all such calibration involve the estimations fed to the system controller on the SOC (state of charge) of the battery over long periods of time as the battery degrades. The software based battery controller knows the battery's characteristics, or SOC and adjusts itself. This is why there is both no need and purpose to periodically deeply drain your macbook battery, since it doesn’t affect the characteristics of the battery, and further still deep discharges are something you should not do on purpose to any lithium battery.

----------

For phones, same thing. The battery is run down.

If by "run down" you mean deep discharges on the battery, that ruins lithium batteries fast

all experts on lithium batteries agree on this fact.

The only quantified abuse seen to Lithium cells are instances when often the cells are repeatedly drained very low

Last edited by a moderator:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Youre NEVER supposed to do that on a current macbook

There is no calibration of current Apple portable Macbooks with built-in batteries.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

There is no battery calibration with current Apple portable Macbooks with built-in batteries. Lithium batteries have essentially a 0-‘memory’, and all such calibration involve the estimations fed to the system controller on the SOC (state of charge) of the battery over long periods of time as the battery degrades. The software based battery controller knows the battery's characteristics, or SOC and adjusts itself. This is why there is both no need and purpose to periodically deeply drain your macbook battery, since it doesn’t affect the characteristics of the battery, and further still deep discharges are something you should not do on purpose to any lithium battery.

----------

If by "run down" you mean deep discharges on the battery, that ruins lithium batteries fast

The only quantified abuse seen to Lithium cells are instances when often the cells are repeatedly drained very low

Read what I put before you quote my statement as wrong ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Let me put it this way since you misunderstood my post. Use the phone/computer until you feel its ready to charge. I use my phone through out the day and it gets to a certain point of discharge. Whether that's at 20%, 5% or 60%. I then plug it in when I have time and the opportunity.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I just use the device and recharge when needed. Really not bothered if I miss out on 2% battery life because of that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.