Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I have a sound file in .m4a format. For strange reason, whenever I click on it under iTunes, some other music are played. I opened it using QuickTime. The playback is sluggish. For example, I clicked on the middle of the time line, it take about 8 seconds to play back. Is there any good app (preferably free) that allows me to do sound editing such as saving portions of the large sound file into separate smaller files? Thanks.

Bookshelf

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
Converting audio files

Hello, I have a sound file in .m4a format. For strange reason, whenever I click on it under iTunes, some other music are played. I opened it using QuickTime. The playback is sluggish. For example, I clicked on the middle of the time line, it take about 8 seconds to play back. Is there any good app (preferably free) that allows me to do sound editing such as saving portions of the large sound file into separate smaller files? Thanks.

Yes download audacity. Its free and very handy for converting audio files.
You can also do some basic editing.

I'm a ROb

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Netherlands
iTunes can also do some converting, but (previously mentioned) garagaband and audacity are more suited. Even thought their main target is video, also VLC and FFMPEG can do these things.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You need to "extract" the sound component "out of" the m4a file.

Audacity may be able to do this.

There is a small freeware app called "QTAmateur" that may be able to do the conversion:
https://www.mikeash.com/software/qtamateur/
It's old, but still runs. I use it all the time for playing sound files.

You want to convert the sound to 44.1khz, 16-bit ".aiff" format.

It should then be "editable" in any audio application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.