Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I've noticed lately that my 13" MacBook Pro (2009 model) is really lagging in terms of opening applications. It's also freezing a lot, to the point where the rainbow wheel doesn't go away and I have to power off the laptop by holding down the power button (it rarely shuts down from the menu).

My internet is also really slow, and I know it's not my ISP because the other devices in my house work fine.

Never had this problem with a MacBook before. Any advice on how to fix this issue?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I've noticed lately that my 13" MacBook Pro (2009 model) is really lagging in terms of opening applications. It's also freezing a lot, to the point where the rainbow wheel doesn't go away and I have to power off the laptop by holding down the power button (it rarely shuts down from the menu).

My internet is also really slow, and I know it's not my ISP because the other devices in my house work fine.

Never had this problem with a MacBook before. Any advice on how to fix this issue?

Sounds like your HDD is going to give up the ghost soon.

You could use this opportunity to upgrade to an SSD. It'll really make your computer fly (startup times within 15 seconds, instant app launches, etc).

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Sounds like your HDD is going to give up the ghost soon.

You could use this opportunity to upgrade to an SSD. It'll really make your computer fly (startup times within 15 seconds, instant app launches, etc).

How do I go about doing this? Sorry, I'm not that tech-savvy when it comes to computers lol.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
How do I go about doing this? Sorry, I'm not that tech-savvy when it comes to computers lol.

Start by making a backup of any important files you have, it really does sound like your hard drive is about to die.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Buy an external drive and backup everything in your current drive.

Then, take apart your computer and put the SSD in it. Make sure you've a bootable installer of mavericks in the form of a USB drive (can be a second partition on the external drive or a pen drive).

After that, boot from the installer, reformat the SSD and install OS X. After installation, copy back everything from your external drive to the SSD.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Have you tried reinstalling OS X?

My mid-2009 MacBook Pro was playing up just before Christmas with lag and crashes, but reinstalling the OS did the trick. Just make sure you pull all your dad from Time Capsule manually so all the system files don't get restored too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.