Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
My new to me macbook 2006 works really well but on occasion when I boot it on the fan suddenly gets loud and according to fan control slows down considerably by hundreds of rpms. It continues and I thought maybe there as something stuck in it so i use some compressed air to blow on the grill. It doesn't happen every time but is getting quite annoying. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is or what I can do?

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
I had a similar issue. I opened up my late 08 macbook and take out the fan and there was this big cottonish dirt. Took it out and its better than fine.

----------

Also check acrivity monitor and choose all services from dropdown menu. Maybe printer widget or something is cauding it.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks, I think you may be right about the dust, the woman I got this from didnt seem to have taken care of it and even jammed a dvd inside of it, bad because it only has a cd drive...I'll give it a go and see if it works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.