Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Everything I've read on Moto X suggests the battery is fairly mediocre, especially when compared to the two most recommended phones earlier in this thread (G2 & S4). Furthermore moto X also seems to have a mediocre camera.

At the moment, I'm not strongly considering the HTC One because, from the reviews I have read, the battery does not seem to be as good as G2 or S4.

I had a chance to have a play with G2 & S4 in store yesterday. I'm leaning towards the G2 mainly because of the software interface. In particular, I like that the settings interface is closer to stock on the G2 when compared to S4.

Thats what I was expecting with the Moto X, but it would almost always last me just about 24 hours. HTC One is about 7 - 10 hours depending on how much I use it. I rRooted mine and put Sense 6 on it yesterday, one of the best phone's Ive used

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I've been reading a bit about the camera on the LG G2. Despite some very good qualities of the camera (in particular, OIS) I notice there is (or at least was) as problem with shutter lag.

Most of the reviews were written shortly after the phone was released so I'm wondering if this is still a problem or if it has been improved with software updates?

Does the GS4 have issues with shutter lag?

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
If it has to be a 13', S4 Google Edition, that way your not locked by the bootloader like the AT&T etc version. Can root and rom to tweak better (personally vanilla android is completely boring and lacking in features to me, even more plain then iOS lol). Touchwhiz camera is great as sammy does some niffty optimizations and options, could pry find a zip copy of it on XDA to install.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
After updating my Verizon G2 to kitkat earlier today I have to put another vote towards the G2. This phone is just as smooth and snappy as the Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8 but with a better price tag.
In regards to shutter lag mentioned above the time to focus isn't the fastest by any means.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The G2, M8 and S5 are all going to be close enough to negate the differences in battery life.

All will give 10hrs of wifi browsing.

I think you could probably split the battery life differences and focus on skin features, "feel", build type and overall user preference.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
G2 without a doubt. I sold my Iphone 5S and couldn't be happier. I was leery of the buttons on the back, but I never use them. I use the knock knock feature to turn it on. Optical image stabilization, wireless charging and a fantastic display in an efficient form size makes this the best phone out there right now.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If battery life and camera are your requirements then I would say the S5. You can't beat the camera. The battery life is great. I usually get almost 2 days of use for me. Then throw in the water resistance and it adds great value. But the G2 is a very nice phone as well. The G3 is rumored to be right around the corner.....

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for all the comments on this thread. It really helped focus my choice to just GS4 vs G2 :)

Initially I was leaning toward the G2 due to far more recommendations on this thread, optical image stabilisation in the camera, and slightly better battery life across the reviews that I've read. However, in the end I've gone for the GS4.

My reasons were: 1) GS4s were cheaper on ebay than I expected (perhaps driven by people upgrading to GS5). In particular 16GB GS4 + 32GB microSD card was considerably cheaper than 32GB G2. 2) I became slightly concerned about reports of shutter lag on the G2 that I read in some reviews. 3) I expect I'll appreciate the user-replacebale battery on the GS4 when travelling. 4) I thought it might be interesting to give the controversial touchwiz a go for myself.

I've been using the GS4 for a week now and I'm very happy with it. Most importantly, the battery life and camera are more than satisfactory for my needs. Furthermore, touchwiz has not been problematic for me at all. I don't notice the lag that everyone warns about. However, I've turned off all the fluff (gestures, eye tracking etc) and animations, and replaced a number of the touchwiz apps/interfaces (keyboard, calender, contacts, dialler, messaging) with alternatives that I liked using on my previous phone. The only major interface difference I now regularly notice in relation to my Moto G are the settings, notification centre, and in-call display. But I got used to these changes very quickly.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
You should just keep your moto g and buy a good entry level camera like the Sony RX-100. Phone cameras aren't that great.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
You should just keep your moto g and buy a good entry level camera like the Sony RX-100. Phone cameras aren't that great.

I'm not trying to replace my dedicated camera with a smartphone camera. But its not much use when I don't have it with me day to day.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Yup. The only phone that has a camera that (under certain circumstances - most importantly, in broad sunlight) surpass the likes of the RX100 WRT corner sharpness / detail level - the Nokia 808. All other phones are sometimes considerably worse.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Yup. The only phone that has a camera that (under certain circumstances - most importantly, in broad sunlight) surpass the likes of the RX100 WRT corner sharpness / detail level - the Nokia 808. All other phones are sometimes considerably worse.

I do miss the 808 and would be tempted to get another one if only I could put up with symbian. I find it strange that no other manufacturer has yet to better that amazing camera. Perhaps there's just no demand for it?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I do miss the 808 and would be tempted to get another one if only I could put up with symbian. I find it strange that no other manufacturer has yet to better that amazing camera. Perhaps there's just no demand for it?

It seems no one wants to release a thick cameraphone. Unfortunately, large sensors mean thick camera humps - this is (for me, unknown OIS constraints aside) why Nokia has also considerably decreased the sensor size in the 1020.

I only wish Samsung released a truly high-end S5 variant (no 2012/2013 processor / screen tech for me) with OIS, a wideangle prime lens and a huuuuuge sensor as they've (2014 tech aside) done with the new Galaxy K but catering for the optical zoom folks. I'd be the first to purchase it.

alice04

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2013
Galaxy phones right now has more then 5" screen size. You can try Sony or LG for smaller screens for Android. Nokia has a new Android version too.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Galaxy phones right now has more then 5" screen size. You can try Sony or LG for smaller screens for Android.

Just remember that it's only the Sony Compacts that have decent hardware and identical camera. The LG G2 Mini, for example, has not only considerably slower hardware, but also worse camera.

(And there's still no Z2 Compact. The Z1 Compact, just like the Z1, is a big no-go for a camera enthusiast. The Z2 is better but still can't deliver the same IQ as even the 1020, let alone the 808.)

Nokia has a new Android version too.

Regrettably, all Nokia X models suck if you need a great camera & decent hardware - they're low-end models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.