Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GScottWest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Long story short, my Macbook Air was stolen. I don't think I had location set in Date & Time, but I did have my iCloud account active and it is listed in my devices on Find My iPhone. So my question is, even though I can't find the location can I remotely erase my computer or at least lock it?

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Yes or you could also lock it, then the next time it goes on the internet it will get locked or erased. If you erase it, you just gave it to them more or less as they will have full use of it at that point.
But this will only work if they have not erased the hard drive and installed a fresh OS.
Did you have the efi password set? Not would have kept them from erasing the unit and getting pass the lock screen. Not an easy fix without the know-how
If not, it may be to late as it could have been erased.

This is why I tell folks to efi lock their device and use something other than a short four digit number.
This way the thief cannot simply use a teensy 3 device to automate all 10,000 possibilities.

btw:
What year model is your air, older models are not as secure.

Last edited:

GScottWest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
So even if I don't have the location services on, locking and erasing the laptop would have worked when they went online -- unless they reformatted the drive? But it's been four days now and the computer has shown offline so I'm guessing they did just that?

Thanks for the help, Cyber. I didn't have the EFI password set -- but I will do that on my next laptop…which will be another Macbook Air. :)

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Still place a lock onto it now at least or if you have sensitive data erase command. Then if it is found online the action will be done.
Keep in mind IF location was on, when you erase you will lose that as well.

It's to bad that apple has not given their users the advantages that many business class PC laptop and ultras have.
The Intel processors can be capable of remote lock down
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../anti-theft/anti-theft-service-providers.html

In the case of many of today's machines, changing the possessor is no easy task, then the thief only has parts.

Last edited:

GScottWest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Thanks, Cyber. I've sent the lock and erase command and am calling it a day -- it was a late 2010 so it's time for a new one anyway and quiet honestly, the police weren't much help so even if location was on I'm not sure what I could do about it.

One last question: if it never comes online again does that mean they erased it already?

GScottWest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Do you recommend PC over Mac? I've always been a Mac guy and wasn't thinking about changing.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Why change?
The newer macs are secure IF you use the features.
Never leave any expensive electronic device unsecured out of your sight
It's sad, but in today's world there are far to many scum-bags looking for the easy $

GScottWest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
I know. :(

At this point I guess I have nothing to do but hope they erased the computer and moved on rather than break in and go through it.

Off to the Mac store -- and I will use all the security features. Thanks for the help, Cyber, I really do appreciate it!

GScottWest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
This is great, thanks -- at least saves me some $ on this expensive lesson...

It's been a real bummer of a week on every level -- thanks for the help and the link -- for every scumbag that steals someone's computer at least it's balanced out by someone like yourself helping out a person they don't even know.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
The efi password should be the default password. They give you false hope with this find my mac (had the same thing happen to me 2 months ago).
They should really make stolen mac unusable, lock them down to serial number and processor ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.