Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An old one - a classic - which I really love: Motown with The Delfonics, with "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time". This particular song featured in the soundtrack of the excellent Quentin Tarantino movie 'Jackie Brown' (another favourite - how many movies feature a middle-aged female lead?), and is an lovely example of that smooth, creamy sound…..

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
And another from the vaults of blessed memory. The time, Pink Floyd with 'Comfortably Numb'.

They have some super great songs but I never thought their album releases had as much depth as some of their contemporaries and thus I never understood the whole obsession with them.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
They have some super great songs but I never thought their album releases had as much depth as some of their contemporaries and thus I never understood the whole obsession with them.

It is probably simply a matter of personal and quite subjective taste, but, while I quite liked Pink Floyd as a teenager, I came to realise that I really liked them a lot as an adult; they are a group whose music I can return to, and it feels complex and fresh each time..

But then, I like these long complicated instrumental mid sections, - which others may see as self-indulgence - while styles such as heavy metal, hip hop and rap have never done it for me….

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Roxy Music - Stranded

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 241

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Roxy Music - Stranded

A wonderful song from a really good group. Excellent choice.

"We'll Meet Again" - Vera Lynn

YouTube: video

A movie of such spell-binding and sheer subversive brilliance that one almost swoons in awestruck admiration simply watching it. Class. Just utter class. Love it, love it, love it….And yes, a great song, too…...

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Strawberry Fields Forever take 26 by the Beatles.

This particular version of the song has a little faster tempo and a slight different intro with trumpets (I think). The album version was slowed down to make it feel like the song represented more of a dream state, but this version is a masterpiece in my opinion. In fact if someone ever wanted to look up the definition of the word "masterpiece", this song should be played on repeat.

Last edited:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I Lost Her by Brighten

Feeling pretty ****** right now. Got the worst kind of birthday present last week. :(

Attachments

• 51CdogxHpPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    51CdogxHpPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 191

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Brilliant song; one of my favourite songs from the oeuvre of David Bowie. Love it - and yes, it is one of the fairly frequently played numbers on my iPod. Love it, love it, love it. Thanks for reminding me that I haven't yet played it this week…..

...and now, as a result of your post, I have just done so……hence, my grateful thanks again.

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Brilliant song; one of my favourite songs from the oeuvre of David Bowie. Love it - and yes, it is one of the fairly frequently played numbers on my iPod. Love it, love it, love it. Thanks for reminding me that I haven't yet played it this week…..

...and now, as a result of your post, I have just done so……hence, my grateful thanks again.

Happy to help!;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
yeah that is pretty bad too.

chin up though.

there are other women out there waiting to break up with you!

:D

Straight out of the "fail again; fail better" school of thought. But I, for one, approve whole-heartedly.

Some excellent songs - and groups - posted above; The Who, Radiohead, and the wonderful Tracy Chapman.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.