Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I tried to convert The.Big.Bang.Theory.S07E20.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION

I opened it with mp4tools and i only checked video and audio as below.... i just clicked convert and the procedure was over after some seconds when handbrake would need about 20 minutes for the same 500mb type of mkv.

Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 22.31.01.png

The file is playable on vlc but i cannot play it on itunes.... i can forward it but the video is frozen... :confused::confused:

1) What did i do wrong with the settings (everything on default) i choose?

2) I also used H264 re-encode options and the result was the same...unplayable on itunes...

Last edited:

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Update

1)I just checked that it is PLAYABLE on Apple tv but i cannot play it on itunes on my mac :confused::confused:

2)Also when i add subtitles i cannot proceed with conversion :confused::confused:

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Instead of Device = General, I suggest you use Device = Apple TV (3 and Later).

A.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Update

1)I just checked that it is PLAYABLE on Apple tv but i cannot play it on itunes on my mac :confused::confused:

2)Also when i add subtitles i cannot proceed with conversion :confused::confused:

Since audio is covered, I'll help you one the subs.

You can add subs, but depends on the format you are using. If they are .srt, then they can be added as 'soft' subtitles (can be turned off/on) with mp4tools or Subler for use on the ATV3. You can usually get these type off the net from places like opensubtitlres.org. Most others (vobsub, and other DVD/Bluray native formats) need to be 'burn' or hard subtitles (can't be turned off, they are burned onto the video itself). When you do hard subs, the video file needs to be re-encoded, so you can't do a simple file conversion.

Hope this helps to get you started.

tMH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.