Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J.Dean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I was reapplying thermal paste to the heatsink on my Macbook 2,1. There are two sensor cables that need to be disconnected to access the underside of the heatsink, and in each sensor there are two cables with copper wiring at the tip. When prying one of the sensors out, one of these copper wires came loose from the sensor. I stuck the wire back in place in the sensor (with the copper exposed) and reconnected everything as it should be. When powering my computer back on, the iStat reads CPU Heatsink where before it used to read Heatsink A and Heatsink B. Is that a dangerous/bad thing? Do I need to replace the heatsink altogether, or is one fully functional sensor and one of the two cables undamaged on the other sensor enough for the heatsink to do its job?

So far the computer is performing fine, the fan has slowed a whole lot after cleaning dust out (it's running below 1800 when 6200 used to be average), the computer is quiet, the CPU is running at around 52 degrees, the Heatsink's around 49 and an issue I was having with my monitor flickering a lot and not turning back on when I close the laptop down has now been fixed after adding the thermal paste, so it SEEMS like everything is fine, but is it really? Thanks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.