Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dancequeen105

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Today I noticed that my phone (iPhone 4) has deleted certain notes from the notes app. It seems to just be from the most recent ones that I've edited, but I haven't updated or changed anything on the phone at all recently. I have no idea what happened to them, but it seems to have deleted just the most important notes. There are still many left, but only ones edited before 3/16. I really need my notes back! Is there any way to find out what happened and undo it? I haven't backed up my phone in awhile, so I can't just restore from a backup or some of the newer notes will get deleted. I know that at least one of these notes has been in progress since 2009 so it would be on the backup, but it was recently edited so it is gone. Sorry this is so long, I am just wondering if anyone knows how I can get my notes back!

dancequeen105

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Okay, so after some further research I found my notes in a folder in my Yahoo email account called notes. I can't see the folder from the Mail app on my phone, but if I'm on my computer it's there. I'm not really sure why this happened and I would prefer that the notes be on my phone, but I'm just happy that they still exist somewhere.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Have you tried to see if your Yahoo! notes are being synced with the phone (in the accounts section) and that you can get to the Yahoo! notes account in the Notes app on the phone?

omr

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, as C DM suggests, it sounds like you're likely having an issue with syncing between iOS and yahoo.
Even iCloud syncing notes between different devices all using Notes and Apple OS's (OS X, iOS) can be buggy.
...and backup as often as possible ;)

Slcskigirl

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
I am also having the same thing happening with randomly deleted notes. In fact I had to restore from backup twice to get one of the notes (been working on it for a year and unfortunately my latest backup was a week ago and I made some major additions over the past week). The second restore I emailed myself the note in case it disappeared again and right after I emailed it, I watched it delete (along with a couple of others I added last week). I've seen a couple of other instances of this when I searched that have also happened in the past two weeks.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I've had issues with notes seemingly randomly disappearing from my iPhone as well. It's quite frustrating and I assume its a syncing issue.

Moresby

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
The same thing happened to my wife and I , our may notes vanished. We hadn't sync'd backed up or anything. I thought this had happened before but wasn't 100% , now I know I have not done anything /updated/applied patches /plugged into my computer etc they have literally just vanished. Makes me wonder if apple do sneaky updates.

spriggit

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2013
I've now had two notes lost, I also have a yahoo account linked to notes but it wasn't there either. I found that for some reason it deleted my note after I had e-mailed my note to someone using my yahoo account on the Ipad?? Luckily it was still in my sent items and I was able to recover it. I never found the first note that went missing a long time ago but I wonder if it went the same way? Hope that helps someone :confused:

aniversareirry

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
Retrieval from the iPhone DataBase
If you have not been backup before deleted? No worries, the deleted files still can recover.
You should note something before you recover the files as below:
Some vital data likes Contacts, SMS, Notes, Call histories and more are stored in the dataBase. When you delete these files accidentally, those deleted feels are still stored in the dataBase. So you can recover those deleted files from iPhone database.

Step1: You can backup your iPhone and get the iPhone SQL Database off your iPhone.
Step2: You can find your iPhone Database in /Users/~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/, and analysis deleted records in SQL Database with some database tool.

More info:
How to Recover Deleted Notes from iPhone

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The easiest solution for me was to stop using the notes app. I use a third party app now and they don't vanish unexpectedly. I don't know why Apple has to make a simple note taking app so complicated.

NezhaBou

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
I seemed to have accidentally deleted an important note on my iPhone, how can I retrieve it, via iCloud?

Perkinswhiteyy

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
Today I noticed that my phone (iPhone 4) has deleted certain notes from the notes app. It seems to just be from the most recent ones that I've edited, but I haven't updated or changed anything on the phone at all recently. I have no idea what happened to them, but it seems to have deleted just the most important notes. There are still many left, but only ones edited before 3/16. I really need my notes back! Is there any way to find out what happened and undo it? I haven't backed up my phone in awhile, so I can't just restore from a backup or some of the newer notes will get deleted. I know that at least one of these notes has been in progress since 2009 so it would be on the backup, but it was recently edited so it is gone. Sorry this is so long, I am just wondering if anyone knows how I can get my notes back!

I have this problem too, did you fix this? Will you help me?
The next day I finally found a third party tool: iPhone Data Recovery, you can google it. This app help me recover deleted photos from iphone quickly. I think you can try it.

Last edited:

wallstreetfool

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
New York City, NY
I seemed to have accidentally deleted an important note on my iPhone, how can I retrieve it, via iCloud?

iCloud only syncs the notes created from (after) the point you Turned ON iCloud Sync on your iPhone/iPad. Any notes prior to that are not synced with iCloud, and thus if you delete them from your iOS Device, there is no chance of retrieving them.

Still, you can go to iCloud.com and see if you can find your deleted note there.

Hope this helps answer your question. Good Luck :)

WK95

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
iCloud only syncs the notes created from (after) the point you Turned ON iCloud Sync on your iPhone/iPad. Any notes prior to that are not synced with iCloud, and thus if you delete them from your iOS Device, there is no chance of retrieving them.

Still, you can go to iCloud.com and see if you can find your deleted note there.

Hope this helps answer your question. Good Luck :)

i haven't create any notes before i log in and sync my iCloud in my new iPhone 5s,i also found out my notes in iCloud.com and my iPhone is same amount,which mean both of them only have notes haven't deleted,pls help me :(

Linadris

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
Retrieval from the iPhone DataBase
If you have not been backup before deleted? No worries, the deleted files still can recover.
You should note something before you recover the files as below:
Some vital data likes Contacts, SMS, Notes, Call histories and more are stored in the dataBase. When you delete these files accidentally, those deleted feels are still stored in the dataBase. So you can recover those deleted files from iPhone database.

Step1: You can backup your iPhone and get the iPhone SQL Database off your iPhone.
Step2: You can find your iPhone Database in /Users/~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/, and analysis deleted records in SQL Database with some database tool.

More info:
How to Recover Deleted Notes from iPhone

It is quite useful, I have recovered all my notes with this method, thanks a lot!

WK95

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
I have this problem too, did you fix this? Will you help me?
The next day I finally found a third party tool: iPhone Data Recovery, you can google it. This app help me recover deleted photos from iphone quickly. I think you can try it.

thanks for the line,i found an cracked version and i find all my notes back,thank you very much :D

:apple:macbook pro 15" mid 2012 i7 2.3GHz 4GB RAM Nvidia GT650M OS X10.9.1
:apple:iPhone 5S 16GB IOS7.1.1 jailbroken

hugowright

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2014
Recover Deleted Notes

Did you ever back it up via iTunes? If there is no backup in some way, I think you need to turn online email to check any draft or history. Do you have a gmail account with notes synced to it, as you could try to recover them through that.
My notes are saving by FonePaw iPhone Data Recovery. All of my notes was an important inventory...
Check the video guide:
https://vimeo.com/114528666

Hope it works.

Last edited:

tessbale

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
I used to keep my important things in notes. However today I found them all disappeared, how come?
What can do to get them back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.