Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Fun to see someone else finally got their ClamCase Pro for rMini. Regarding weights, thought I would share a summary for you. Most are manufacturer's specs, but some I just weighed at home. Click to enlarge

Weights_zps063a3c0a.jpg

Is the "iPad Studio" the STM Studio? If so, is the weight listed manufacturer's spec or one you weighed yourself? Also, the "devicewear", is that supposed to be the Ridge or another case?

The STM Studio spec advertises as .4lbs which would put it at about 6.4 oz (181g). I have the Devicewear Ridge and I weigh it as 6.2oz or 176g (no weight provided by Devicewear that I can find). I've always shied away from the STM Studio due to reviews/comments stating that it's "bulky", but at only .2oz or 5g difference, it might be worth another look.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Is the "iPad Studio" the STM Studio? If so, is the weight listed manufacturer's spec or one you weighed yourself? Also, the "devicewear", is that supposed to be the Ridge or another case?

The STM Studio spec advertises as .4lbs which would put it at about 6.4 oz (181g). I have the Devicewear Ridge and I weigh it as 6.2oz or 176g (no weight provided by Devicewear that I can find). I've always shied away from the STM Studio due to reviews/comments stating that it's "bulky", but at only .2oz or 5g difference, it might be worth another look.

doh! Yes, I meant STM Studio. The Studio looks pretty neat. My reference was 6.2 oz, or 176 gram. Might just be rounding error, as .387 lbs would round to 0.4 if limited to one significant digit.

The Devicewear weight was the Ridge, from Amazon. Looking back just a second ago, I found a typo--two colors are listed as 5.6 oz, while one is listed at 7 oz. Just by bad luck, I used the reference from the 7 oz text.

The studio looks like an interesting travel option for me. Nice protection, and I like the fact the cover is held in position when closed, hopefully alleviating the problem of cover motion activating the magnetic sleep function over and over.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
this is what i've been using for my iPad mini. since i can't find a nice sleeve, i made one myself out of 100% wool.

Attachments

• photo 11.JPG
    photo 11.JPG
    774.4 KB · Views: 159
  • photo 13.JPG
    photo 13.JPG
    739.3 KB · Views: 157
  • photo 8.JPG
    photo 8.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 190

rsquirrel

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
It seems everyone buys from Amazon. I just purchased an Ultra Slim Magnetic Smart Cover with hard case for under $10 on eBay. I know it will take a while to arrive but still beats spending a lot of $.

I also have a neoprene sleeve that it can go into when travelling to give it a bit more protection. I got that at the dollar store a while ago for an Android tablet.

mzkillabeatz

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2011
I use this case https://www.everythingtablet.co.uk/product-p/ipadmini2-flipcase.htm

Last edited:

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Picked up the new Logitech Ultrathin keyboard for my iPad mini in Space Grey. It cost an extra $10 ($89.99) over the slate version which was for the previous generation of minis.

Looks - It looks fantastic. The Space Grey matches my iPad perfectly, and it fits quite seamlessly too. Logitech really did a fine job with this. On top of that there isn't any garish or huge Logitech logo which could potentially detract from the minimalist design.

Keyboarding - The key layout is crammed, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They've fit quite a bit into this smaller keyboard. I used this keyboard exclusively at a convention this past weekend for 3 days to take extensive notes. At first, it was typos galore.

However, if you place keep your left pinky on the "A" key, you will quickly learn the key layout within a 10-15 minutes I would say. I did keep hitting the "/" when trying to type a comma, but that eventually gets sorted out with muscle memory. Same goes for the right shift key.

If I wanted, I could have typed verbatim, but that isn't good note taking so I didn't. No issues with speed, and accuracy is pretty accurate once you get it down. I do wish it was slightly bigger, but I didn't suffer from hand cramps or anything during the 6 hour a day typing marathons lol.

Weight, I think there's a chart here about how much it ways, but needless to say I quite like it.

This new incarnation also has a tilt function for when the mini is docked, so that is a huge plus compared to the old one which did not have it.

The dedicated home button is a nice spot to allow for quick double taps for super fast multi tasking (it's around the right "alt"/"cmd" key) This is key in comparison to the previous version where it was located at the "esc" location.

The magnetic flap by which it connects now folds down into the keyboard when not in use to provide a sleeker, seamless look. Simply tilt your iPad 30 degrees or so, slide it towards the magnet, and it will automatically latch. It takes some getting used to, but it sort of works.

One small gripe, but this is iOS side, I really wish we could scroll pages using the keyboard.

While I was initially hesitant on whether or not I would keep this keyboard, this past weekend has confirmed the keyboard's utility. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the effort put into it greatly increases the productivity of the iPad mini.

For whatever reason, this particular keyboard is not listed on Logitech's site...so I ended up getting it directly through the Apple store website.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H...96f7f2ea955d9a8d8482dbc8ec4ddef7d7899fde3b027

Highly recommended if you need to take notes want to write things on your iPad!

rsquirrel

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Just updating my review of the tri-fold ultra slim leather smart cover that I purchased on ebay. It has two pieces so you can buy a new back case/front cover if it breaks or you wish to change colors without having to buy a whole new case and cover. They can be used separately or together.

I like that it is lightweight and easy to hold. I have a cat so it's impossible to not have hair on the inside cover that is made of microfiber.

I'm happy with this purchase.

loyalist

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Bought the ClamCase and had it for over a month. Love it and wouldn't switch to anything else.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Now that there's an announced Apple (iPad?) event I wonder if any of the new hardware will require new cases? Or maybe it'll be a spec refresh and the cases we have will still fit?

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Just found a speck durafolio at target on clearance for 17.99 (down from 59.99). I think it was a return but looked brand new.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
The iPad mini 3 announced today has the exact same dimensions as the iPad mini 2 announced last year. So it looks like we'll be getting another year out of these cases.

I've updated the links in the OP.

(I kinda hoped we'd get spec upgrades like the iPad Air 2, but that's for a different thread.)

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Pity it's a gun advocacy and assault rifle component company primarily.. Not about to hand my money to gun proliferation peeps.

I actually disagree with your statements on gun control. But that is a discussion for another day, and thread. But history has shown that the best deffence against a dictatorial or tyrannical government is a well armed populace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.