Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x2thaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
I have been using Plex media server on my MBP to stream content from my laptop to the Roku player (no lags what soever). I have the plex app on my roku player but getting annoyed that my laptop has to be on in order for me to stream stuff to my roku player.

Could I possible get a NAS and have it hooked up via Ethernet to my router to stream to my roku player? Are there any compatible NAS that work with Plex? any suggestion or feedback would be much appreciated.

thanks

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I just built a server. Or you can take an old PC and use that as a server.

And yes, of course your laptop has to be on for you to stream media to it if it is the server.

Capt Crunch

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2001
Washington, D.C.
I have been using Plex media server on my MBP to stream content from my laptop to the Roku player (no lags what soever). I have the plex app on my roku player but getting annoyed that my laptop has to be on in order for me to stream stuff to my roku player.

Could I possible get a NAS and have it hooked up via Ethernet to my router to stream to my roku player? Are there any compatible NAS that work with Plex? any suggestion or feedback would be much appreciated.

thanks

Keep in mind that any NAS that runs plex will likely not have the processing power to transcode high-bitrate (many 1080p) files. If, for some reason, your Roku can't play a file natively, it's likely you won't be able to view the film. Not to mention you will not be able to play those same files on any iDevice.

I have an old Mac Mini running as my Plex server so that I don't have to worry about that possibility.

Dameatball

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
San Francisco
Most Nas's out of the box are going to be limited in terms of transcoding. The plex forums have a spreadsheet of what each nas can so in terms of transcoding the video files- 720, 1080's etc. 90% of them can't do it and the few that can, are going to be pricey. Your mbp can because the CPU can support it. I also use a mini and it's lovely but any desk/laptop with a decent CPU will so the trick.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Yes. I have a NAS attached to my router and what you want to do is almost exactly what I do. I bought the WD MyBook because I wanted to do wireless backups of my laptop and iMac but that didn't work out. Now I use it as a media server for my jailbroken Apple TV2 and it works very well for that purpose. As you pointed out, there is no need to keep my iMac or MacBook running to serve up the movies.

p.s. Having direct access to my media files was the biggest benefit for me in jailbreaking my Apple TV 2. With XBMC I can directly access the video files on my NAS.

Last edited:

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Mac mini connected to a drobo 5D. The Mac mini and drobo are in the living room running XBMC on the big screen and plex server in the background. Also
Running OSX server to feed all the macs in the house. Plex server serves iPads, iPhones, and rokus with no problem. Literally runs 24/7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.