Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:01 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft's 'Age of Empires: World Domination' to Launch on iOS This Summer

Microsoft and Japanese gaming firm KLab Inc. have revealed Age of Empires: World Domination, the first title based on the popular PC strategy franchise for iOS devices. The game features a revamped real-time battle system optimized for mobile devices, as players choose between the Celts, Vikings, Franks, or Huns to build the ultimate army for use in online multiplayer combat.

The game's unveiling comes a year after a report by Japanese business newspaper Nikkei indicated that Microsoft would be bringing a number of its Xbox and Windows games to the iPhone in a collaborative effort with KLab. Specifically, Age of Empires was said to be the first title stemming from the partnership in the form of a free-to-play title. With the forthcoming release of Age of Empires: World Domination on iOS, it is likely that other titles from Microsoft will appear on Apple's mobile platform in the near future.

Age of Empires: World Domination will launch on iOS this summer, as interested users can pre-register on the game's official website for exclusive access and more information.

Article Link: Microsoft's 'Age of Empires: World Domination' to Launch on iOS This Summer
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:02 AM   #2
DFZD
macrumors regular

Microsoft has the habit to come last to the party. Maybe they love to clean up other people's litter.

After Clash of Clans and it's numerous clones have saturated the market, here comes MS.

22 iMac Late 2011 with Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, iPad Air with Logitech KB, iPod touch 5G. Xperia Z Ultra.
DFZD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:07 AM   #3
markosb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFZD View Post
Microsoft has the habit to come last to the party. Maybe they love to clean up other people's litter.

After Clash of Clans and it's numerous clones have saturated the market, here comes MS.
In Microsoft's defense, look who was running things before. I eagerly await this as a fan of Age of Empires.
markosb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:07 AM   #4
Mighuel
macrumors member

In all honesty, I think this looks bad.. really bad. Of course we should first see the actual game to make decisions but so far I'm not impressed.

As a side note I'd love to see original AOE games in the Mac App Store.
Mighuel is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Thares
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighuel View Post
In all honesty, I think this looks bad.. really bad. Of course we should first see the actual game to make decisions but so far I'm not impressed.

I don't know why all iOS games look so crappy and old. The hardware shouldn't be the problem, I think.
Thares is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:03 AM   #6
mabaker
macrumors 65816

I was cringing when watching the trailer. It looks CHEAP as if Zynga created it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:19 AM   #7
JoshBoy
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to JoshBoy Send a message via MSN to JoshBoy Send a message via Skype™ to JoshBoy
The most crap version of a game I have seen

I would prefer to cut animal shapes into my own arm than play something like that and I love civilisation.
JoshBoy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:21 AM   #8
springsup
macrumors 6502a

Please no F2P.

Please, please, please!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:40 AM   #9
Chazz08
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I completely agree on both things. The game looks like crap and why isn't AoE on the Mac App Store?! Maybe it will be soon. I just saw SimCity 4 get put up this past week. Here's hoping! I loved the series.
Chazz08 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:43 AM   #10
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

Waachhh! Welcome to 1997's AoE I
No thanks.
RightMACatU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:52 AM   #11
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Old classic on iOS? What for it . . .

Run your kingdom and advance your armies! Gather resources to unlock new technologies, such as gold, wood, food, and mega-dollars. Hurry production with mega-dollars. Buy more mega-dollars as a convenient IAP.

Hurry your army build with Instant Action Points (IAP) for only $0.99 each!
Unlock the Incan, Aztec, and Phoenecian (IAP) armies for $4.99!
Improve the AI of your units with all new Investigative, Aggressive, and Passive (IAP) modes for $1.99 each, or all three for only $4.99!

Pass.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:52 AM   #12
bpcookson
macrumors 6502

Whiz-bang transitions do nothing to hide the facts in that trailer. It still looks like garbage. Probably just a Clash of Clans clone with some not-so-novel twists on fight mechanics.
bpcookson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:00 AM   #13
Pafoofnik
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down It Looks Like A Bad Saturday Morning Cartoon

The trailer looks like a bad Saturday morning cartoon.

It's been eons since a sequel of this classic game was released. Technology has advanced exponentially--and this is the best that can be produced? Microsoft had a hand in it, you say? Oh, never mind....

I know Bill Gates is pushing the Common Core educational (sub-)standards in this country. He thinks that King Arthur was a real-life character, right? Maybe this game should've been a sequel to Mythology, instead, or the start of a new series, Age of Crap Software.
Pafoofnik is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:14 AM   #14
Doombringer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pafoofnik View Post
The trailer looks like a bad Saturday morning cartoon.

It's been eons since a sequel of this classic game was released. Technology has advanced exponentially--and this is the best that can be produced? Microsoft had a hand in it, you say? Oh, never mind....

I know Bill Gates is pushing the Common Core educational (sub-)standards in this country. He thinks that King Arthur was a real-life character, right? Maybe this game should've been a sequel to Mythology, instead, or the start of a new series, Age of Crap Software.
I'd bet Gates had nothing to do with even one iota of this project. Don't try to pin this on him.

There's a team somewhere in Microsoft who can be blamed for making the deal on this one. I won't even blame the developer -- they were following guidelines put forth ("make the sprites larger, more fun!" "add in historical heroes like King Arthur!"), and I'm sure they had their work checked by whatever-team-it-is at Microsoft.

It's sad to see the blatant monetization of a beloved franchise like this. Multiplayer classic AOE/AOE2 was some of the best gaming I've ever experienced. This iOS "port" looks like junk, and is Age of Empires in name alone.
Doombringer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:41 AM   #15
makitango
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBoy View Post
The most crap version of a game I have seen

I would prefer to cut animal shapes into my own arm than play something like that and I love civilisation.
Have you seen what Atari did with its Rollercoaster Tycoon for iOS last week?
makitango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:57 AM   #16
DoubleU
macrumors regular

Hmm, very disappointing trailer. I had Age of Empires for PocketPC in the the early 2000's and I don't remember it looking as crappy as that.

What I'd really love is a proper Age of Mythology port, that would be portable perfection.
DoubleU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:58 AM   #17
SandboxGeneral

I've always liked the AOE series, but playing on an iPad, I'm skeptical at the fun value of it. From the scenes in the video clip, I'm not overly impressed with the look of it and the game play.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:20 AM   #18
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

That looks pretty terrible. I’m sure they’re thinking that they’ll tap into a huge existing fan base by calling it Age of Empires, but I don’t think I’m going out on a limb saying that the fan base they’re trying to hit is going to completely reject that game. I almost hope they DON’T make any profit off of it.
GeneralChang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:30 AM   #19
Pafoofnik
macrumors newbie

After looking at the trailer again, it appears as if the Sims move only as a collective group. Though some warriors in the groups were being "killed," I didn't see any individual Sims off to the side engaged in isolated activities. They were all in a group with one giant dufus on a horse leading them. Maybe that's an iPad thing where fat fingers rule over the precision of a mouse. I'd much rather see a functioning OSX rewrite of AOE I, II, or III than this fourth-rate port to a tablet.
Pafoofnik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:50 AM   #20
epic-retouching
macrumors member

15 days too late
epic-retouching is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:39 AM   #21
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Very late to the party but this game still holds a pretty good fan base.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:52 PM   #22
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

So much analogy irony in the article title alone... Then to see everyone talking about how crappy it looks... well, why the surprise?
dysamoria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 03:07 PM   #23
MattSepeta
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MattSepeta
As a longtime RTS fan and AOE player from way back, this looks like the chintziest game ever.

pass.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 03:18 PM   #24
truettray
macrumors regular

We want AOE 2 for iPad. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sidebar- What's up with the way they jacked with the theme song? Commme onnnn.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:16 PM   #25
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Quote:

This. I'll be the first one to say that the user interaction paradigm for a touch-version would have to be fundamentally different, if not simpler, than the desktop game, but that game looks like a "best-of" glitch video..

Last edited by GSPice; Apr 14, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
GSPice is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion