Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
is still to much bezel around the phone even with the home button, so with 138mmx64mm they will fit 5" display and NOT 4.7", even the Htc One has 4.7" with stereo speakers

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Too thin

If this is true, it would be a very poor choice of dimensions IMO - far too thin.
You cannot keep increasing the length of the phone without increasing it's width too, as the phone starts to lose proportion.
The ratio is already bad enough on the iPhone 5 which is too long for its width and if (as it looks from this photo), the phone isn't getting any wider, adding yet more length onto the phone would be ridiculous.
So bigger is better, but it means bigger in both length and width otherwise bigger is just silly!

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
People today, Apple freeze (decided) the dimensions of iPhone 6,but not the size of the display yet.

134x64.1x7.1mm

The display size will be set based on the space inside/home button/hardware bord in next weeks
Ill keep you posted

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Stupid question but should the molds have a make on it like Foxxcon or a number on it so the factory workers know what molds are for what?

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
I was holding out hope that it would be made of plastic rather than aluminum. At this point I expect to buy it even if it is used nappy colored.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
and people say phablets look stupid :p

2uq2as2_th.jpg

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
This does look like it could be the top piece of the IPhone but without seeing the inserts it's hard to tell.
This is not the Bottom or can.

It could be a 5C because I can see a subgate in the second image.

I do not own a IPhone yet and I am planing on getting the six.

Can anyone tell me if the top piece of the 5C or 5S is metal or plastic?

itpromike

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Man what a piss poor implementation if they really did make the phone longer and longer to accommodate a larger screen size making the phone look more odder and actually decreasing usability rather than for the intended purpose of increasing it. Making it longer so you can claim that it's a large phone you can still use with one hand all the while making it difficult to actually reach the top left corner of the screen where you've stated in your own interface guides menus options and drawers should go is just dumb. Also making it longer would be make it even hard to get to the notification shade. Making it slightly wider and reducing the height would have been the best move possible. Stop doing stupid things to address problems that aren't really problems but are rather manufactured issues for the sake of marketing, Apple!

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Calm down people

If anyone know anything about the molding or cnc process, you'll know that there're a bunch of "add-on molding gears" that got attached to the molding process and the mold itself. Hence, the mold is usually a lot bigger than the actual product.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
For pete's sake Apple shrink that bezel already!

Put the iSight camera to the right of the earpiece. Maybe its also time to consider ditching the mechanical home button altogether. You're moving to sapphire glass anyway. So make the lower part of the screen an integrated Touch ID sensor.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Man what a piss poor implementation if they really did make the phone longer and longer to accommodate a larger screen size making the phone look more odder and actually decreasing usability rather than for the intended purpose of increasing it. Making it longer so you can claim that it's a large phone you can still use with one hand all the while making it difficult to actually reach the top left corner of the screen where you've stated in your own interface guides menus options and drawers should go is just dumb. Also making it longer would be make it even hard to get to the notification shade. Making it slightly wider and reducing the height would have been the best move possible. Stop doing stupid things to address problems that aren't really problems but are rather manufactured issues for the sake of marketing, Apple!
I have to disagree, making it wider is not the best solution, it's a 16:9 screen making it wider only means more bezel which is just a waste of space. the best possible solution is to get rid of/reduce the size/move the home button, reduce the space between the top speak and the screen to decrease the overall size of the phone.

itpromike

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Actually I just checked and the Nexus 5 is 137.84mm tall x 69.17mm wide and that has a 5" screen. So you're telling me Apple is going to make a bigger phone with a smaller screen? Their engineering team is that off their rocker? I don't buy it, I'm sorry I just don't... maybe this mold is for the 5.5" screen but it most certainly can't be the 4.7"... If it is then Apple has truly fallen off as a whole... first software with iOS 7 being awful and now hardware design/engineering...

U9LZFOEksroCg-QaQj2w9wWGwvJo3ESZeI7ZR5GartMWcasir_19pxnsGpJc7VQp6D8=h800

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
If anyone know anything about the molding or cnc process, you'll know that there're a bunch of "add-on molding gears" that got attached to the molding process and the mold itself. Hence, the mold is usually a lot bigger than the actual product.

Could be prototype mold to check for form and fit before doing high cavitation molds.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Urrgh.

:-(

That's going to be such a nightmare to use. Well, it would be if it didn't push me off iOS entirely, which it probably would.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
the target for iPhone 6 must to be the most compact 5" phone, and thats is Samsung S4, so for 4.7" they need to make iphone 6 smaller than S4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.