Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
No, they just throttle your connection. Not sure how it would work with voice or text overages, though.

That's NOW but not FOR THESE PLANS. Heck, the new 500MB plan just cuts you off. I'd imagine on launch day the old plans will do the same. We really don't know yet since details are scarce.

spyd4r

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
over here they throttle you to 64kbs after u reached your data limit instead of charging you redic amounts for an 1mb

fair..

i guess they would allow you to pay extra if you so required to get full speed back?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If T-Mobile coverage wasn't so horrible around my area, I would jump ship immediately. Then again, thanks to T-Mobile, I've been able to reduce my monthly AT&T bill by $40/month. I think AT&T and Verizon are starting to realize what T-Mobile is doing for consumers.

Keep doing your thing, T-Mobile.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
with this new plan isn't t-mo simply cutting off your data and letting you buy some more instead of throttling you or charging you an overage fee?

Which is a lot lot better than paying one dollar per Megabyte or something ridiculous like that without noticing until the bill arrives. theinquirer.net just reported about a stupid woman who downloaded an iTunes album while on holiday in Africa and was charged £8 per MB = £2,600 in phone charges. Probably plus £5.99 by Apple for the music.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
So they traded us overage fees for employee discounts. I've been with them for about 4 months and the coverage is horrible in the Midwest. The instant you drive outside any major city, there is no data, so ironic cause when you really need data is outside cities for directions and you can't get it, so it's pointless to have unlimited data since you can't even use it (and I have wifi everywhere I go basically).

Maybe in a year or two, their network will be more robust, but all these changes don't help when their network is crap.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
They may stop you and make you pay for more data. That would end overages and give you control of your bill. There would be no more $200 surprises because you streamed a movie. You could get a smaller plan that covers most of your usage and for that month you ned more just buy more. Or if you ran out of your data a couple days before your bill cycle, instead of paying ridiculous overages just wait it out.

It's a good idea. Hardly revolutionary but a good idea.

Now they just need to keep plugging away on coverage!

That's NOW but not FOR THESE PLANS. Heck, the new 500MB plan just cuts you off. I'd imagine on launch day the old plans will do the same. We really don't know yet since details are scarce.

I like the idea of cutting you off till you pay for more data. That way you know you have used all your data.

I don't really care for the throttling other posters have mentioned.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's funny, when AT&T does it with their grandfathered unlimited data plan, it's false advertising and misleading. When T-Mobile does it, it's revolutionary and shaking up the wireless industry.

The difference is:

- AT&T changed their truly unlimited data plan to throttled. It wasn't advertised as being throttled when customers originally signed up for it. It was advertised as $30 all you can eat data and then changed when AT&T couldn't handle the data traffic. T-Mobile's throttled data plans are advertised as being throttled after a certain limit is reached.
- AT&T no longer offers that unlimited data plan either. New customers can only sign up for plans that include data caps with overages

Bottom line is that AT&T/VZW will not be dropping their overages. It's a huge source of revenue for them. As data speeds get faster, customers can either purchase more data or risk more overages. Either way it's a win/win for AT&T/VZW.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's funny, when AT&T does it with their grandfathered unlimited data plan, it's false advertising and misleading. When T-Mobile does it, it's revolutionary and shaking up the wireless industry.

T-Mobile has a true unlimited data plan on the high end, and the other plans are clear how much 4G data they provide and that after that only the slower data is "unlimited". Not remotely the same as ATT.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Such greedy policies were NEVER "welcome". They were done because they COULD. Just like how my credit union charges me $30 if I don't have enough money in my checking account to make a payment from my savings, or at all, for that matter. Charging people fees for not having money is, and always has been, greedy and illogical. The only place crap like this is ever "welcome" is in corporate board rooms. If not for the successes of these companies, they wouldn't have started all these abusive practices in the first place. But these "service provider" companies are at the top of the list in the corporate brotherhood of "fees and other additional charges". Once one is big enough to do it without losing too many customers, the rest follow suit to make sure they're not missing out on a revenue stream.

There's so much like this going on in capitalism that it's nice to see at least one company trying to do what capitalists claim is at the core of the system: be competitive by being BETTER in some way. They can't be better on a technical level? Well, then be better to customers and appeal to new customers that way. Sad.

But billions have already been extracted from consumers by these companies with these unethical and consumer abusive techniques, and if T-Mobile fails to win people over with this strategy (or even more likely, if they became an industry dominator), I'm sure corporate "governance" would decide to reinstill these abusive fees just to increase profit margins once their profit increases started leveling off year over year. That's WHY these fees and other abuses EXIST in the first place! That's also why they'll eventually return. Never trust capitalism to do the right thing for YOU the consumer, and never trust it to let you pay the same amount every month, regularly, because they'll change the deal on you the moment it stops getting them a lot of new subscribers, and they'll increase prices just to increase profit, NOT because the cost of running the business increases (my DSL and phone combo bill has gone from $50 per month to $72 per month between 2005 and 2014, and the quality of services and data speeds have only degraded, and I've fought various fees for crap I never asked for; yet Verizon has been making greater profits hand over fist year after year; like the lies of the petroleum companies, they're not struggling, it just makes them greater profits to make their customers struggle).

Still... Hooray for T-Mobile... If they weren't a struggling carrier, it might look like something other than an act of desperation to actually treat their customers better than their competitors do. No, I don't take this as proof that capitalism works, and I don't see what this has to do with Apple/Mac news. Maybe if Apple became a cellular carrier...

vtstarck

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
How does this impact people using the free 200MB data/month with LTE iPads? If I use my 200MB do I get to continue using data just throttled?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
fair..

i guess they would allow you to pay extra if you so required to get full speed back?

yeah either through a button in the app or via sms. i think its 4,99€ to reset it to whatever u initinally have. at least on T-Mobile

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
The deal is that they throttle you to EDGE speeds when you reach your allocation, and then they call their plans "unlimited data."

How is that not unlimited data? You can still download anything you want to without any additional fee or cost. If you want more high speed data, pay for it, but they're not going to charge you an overage for going past your high speed data limit.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I understand that if you go over your high-speed data allotment, your data access for te rest of the month is throttled to 2G speeds. What happens if you go over your minutes?

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
The deal is that they throttle you to EDGE speeds when you reach your allocation, and then they call their plans "unlimited data."

Or you can actually pay for the actual "Unlimited" data plan that has NO throttling at all. $70 for grandfathered plans, $80 for the new plans. for $80 on ATT i get 3gb tops, then $15 for each addl GB. Right now on Tmo im on 11gb for the month. $50 for 1GB of data and unlimited everything else is still a pretty good deal imo.

over here they throttle you to 64kbs after u reached your data limit instead of charging you redic amounts for an 1mb

here its 128kbps. The smallest Tmobile plan here is 1GB data anyways, which is enough for 80% of users. When i was with ATT i accidentally went over my limit a few times. Even if i was 15mb over, another $15 tada. A lot of people complain about 'EDGE' speeds, but E has a theoretical maximum of about 128kbps, so it will never get that high. The throttle to 'EDGE' speeds is different, because you're still on a 3G/4G HSPA+ connection, so you will likely get 128kbps, which is enough generally for tweeting, iMessaging, etc.

I understand that if you go over your high-speed data allotment, your data access for te rest of the month is throttled to 2G speeds. What happens if you go over your minutes?

all Tmobile plans have unlimited talk and text. Most US phone carriers don't even offer plans with limited minute allotments, most of those plans are old plans grandfathered in.

ryanflucas

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
I must live in fantasy land. (Milwaukee, WI). I have T-Mobile and get great coverage here. My phone is only 4G though, not LTE. In areas closer to the lakeshore, in densely structured buildings, my phone actually gets a signal and most I see with ATT or Verizon need to go outside and search for a signal. I've had different phones too and still, the same results.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011

Yes, accept you are not correct. T-Mobile throttles you from 4G down to the next lowest tier. That generally is 3G. I have an iPhone 4 that is used in my family. It doesn't have the radio to access T-Mobile's 4G or LTE network. I am on the 1Gb unlimited data plan. Since, my phone can't use 4G, I am on 3G 90 percent of the time. I rarely see Edge.

3G is fast enough for me to stream music and video. I just tested the speed using the Speedtest app. I was getting about 6 MBs a second. I only have 6MB for my home internet, and I stream Netflix with no issues. Further, T-Mobile only limits the access to 4G.

Last edited:

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
here its 128kbps. The smallest Tmobile plan here is 1GB data anyways, which is enough for 80% of users. When i was with ATT i accidentally went over my limit a few times. Even if i was 15mb over, another $15 tada. A lot of people complain about 'EDGE' speeds, but E has a theoretical maximum of about 128kbps, so it will never get that high. The throttle to 'EDGE' speeds is different, because you're still on a 3G/4G HSPA+ connection, so you will likely get 128kbps, which is enough generally for tweeting, iMessaging, etc.

all Tmobile plans have unlimited talk and text. Most US phone carriers don't even offer plans with limited minute allotments, most of those plans are old plans grandfathered in.

Like I posted earlier, my iPhone 4 only can only use 3G and Edge on T-Mobile. Even though I get 1 GB of 4G (or LTE), my phone can't use it. So, I am always on the next lowest tier, which is 3G. Provided I am in the right area, I get unlimited 3G. I just tested it, and I was getting 5.18 MBs a second data. That is plenty of fast.

----------

I must live in fantasy land. (Milwaukee, WI). I have T-Mobile and get great coverage here. My phone is only 4G though, not LTE. In areas closer to the lakeshore, in densely structured buildings, my phone actually gets a signal and most I see with ATT or Verizon need to go outside and search for a signal. I've had different phones too and still, the same results.

Same here. I live in Ann Arbor Michigan. I also have great coverage.

----------

Yes, except the difference is AT&T never told people in the advertising the data got throttled down to another speed at some point. T-Mobile, however, makes that clear hence the variance in plan prices. Unlike AT&T, T-Mobile offers a truly unlimited 4G (or LTE) plan.

----------

I wish TMobile was larger so they would be more of a threat to the competition. But hopefully the other greedy carriers will follow.

People seem to forget that when Cingular landed the iPhone deal, it was in distance second place in terms of carrier size. The iPhone brought AT&T into a tight race with Verizon.

T-Mobile's aggressive policies are bringing in more subscribers. If you are in a good coverage area, most people would be a fool not to give them a try. T-Mobile just doubled my monthly 4G data allowance without any prompting from me all for the same price. Further, I am still on a contract so it didn't need to and I was already happy with the price.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Like I posted earlier, my iPhone 4 only can only use 3G and Edge on T-Mobile. Even though I get 1 GB of 4G (or LTE), my phone can't use it. So, I am always on the next lowest tier, which is 3G. Provided I am in the right area, I get unlimited 3G. I just tested it, and I was getting 5.18 MBs a second data. That is plenty of fast.

----------

Same here. I live in Ann Arbor Michigan. I also have great coverage.

----------

Yes, except the difference is AT&T never told people in the advertising the data got throttled down to another speed at some point. T-Mobile, however, makes that clear hence the variance in plan prices. Unlike AT&T, T-Mobile offers a truly unlimited 4G (or LTE) plan.

----------

People seem to forget that when Cingular landed the iPhone deal, it was in distance second place in terms of carrier size. The iPhone brought AT&T into a tight race with Verizon.

T-Mobile's aggressive policies are bringing in more subscribers. If you are in a good coverage area, most people would be a fool not to give them a try. T-Mobile just doubled my monthly 4G data allowance without any prompting from me all for the same price. Further, I am still on a contract so it didn't need to and I was already happy with the price.

That's the reason I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile last month. My bill for 2 lines is close to $100, about $50 less than Verizon. Coverage in my home is great, comparable to Verizon. I even get a good signal in my windowless bathroom. Coverage is comparable (very good) to Verizon and even a little better in some areas here in NYC, North Jersey. I'm driving to St. Mary's County in Maryland later this month and wonder how good T-Mobile's coverage is there, from California (name of town) to Piney Point. I checked T-Mo's map and California seems to be covered well, but not sure how well toward Piney Point.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Bottom line is that AT&T/VZW will not be dropping their overages. It's a huge source of revenue for them. As data speeds get faster, customers can either purchase more data or risk more overages. Either way it's a win/win for AT&T/VZW.

Now, if they could only get their smart phone-making partners to "innovate" signature new apps that practically beg for streaming data to "help" us subscribers get to those overage levels faster and faster… you know like maps (with no local storage), radio, talking assistant (that must connect to a server), cloud streaming vs. local storage. Boy, would that be great! (for them).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.