Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Windows Phone 8.1 Adds Support for Apple's Passbook Passes

Microsoft has added support for Apple's Passbook passes in Windows Phone 8.1, which was released today as a developer preview. Microsoft announced this latest version of Windows Phone earlier this month and equipped the mobile OS with digital assistant and Siri competitor, Cortana.

As noticed by Tom Warren of The Verge and reported by iMore, Microsoft has created a method that takes the data from a Passbook file and converts it into a card that is imported into Microsoft Wallet.
Quote:
Passbook passes are just collection of data that get rendered into a card and displayed in Apple's Passbook app. Think of the Passbook files like the HTML, CSS, and JavaScript data that makes up a webpage, and the Passbook app like the browser that renders the actual page. It looks like Windows Phone 8 is taking the same data and rendering a similar card out of it, and then pushing that card to Microsoft Wallet.
It is not known whether Microsoft's system is operating independently of Apple or if the Redmond company has an agreement to convert the data to its own wallet. The service may not support iOS-specific features like Passbook updates and notifications, but the importing of data is apparently accurate.
Quote:
Windows Phone 8.1 supports Apple's Passbook natively. I've been using it for flights. Works perfectly pic.twitter.com/MFScqvEVU7 - Tom Warren (@tomwarren) April 14, 2014
Passbook debuted in 2012 and was one of the major new apps bundled in iOS 6. The digital wallet permitted companies to store tickets, loyalty cards, coupons, gift cards and more in a centralized location on a user's iPhone and iPod touch. Apple has continued to update the service, allowing third-party apps to create Passbook passes and adding support for gift cards.

Article Link: Windows Phone 8.1 Adds Support for Apple's Passbook Passes
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Illusion986
macrumors 6502

That's good news with passbook support. More phones use it more locations will incorporate it.
Illusion986 is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:13 PM   #3
D.T.
macrumors 68030

The MS and Apple love fest continues!

Next up: MS Cloud services replaces iCloud ...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:15 PM   #4
advancewarsbest
macrumors member

Hopefully with wider spread use more places will embrace passbook and replace giftcards/tickets for christmas/birthdays into passbook equivalencies. saving me from constantly forgetting about the gift cards I left at home!
advancewarsbest is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:15 PM   #5
afin
macrumors member

Interesting. Never realized it was a file type. Also surprised that apple doesn't rule over it with an iron fist.
afin is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:16 PM   #6
abhenry
macrumors newbie

I wonder if this has anything to do with Delta Airlines (original supporters of Passbook) moving from iOS devices to Windows Phone devices...
abhenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Isn't it already? Gruber's using it in his app, and even stars in a promotional video for Microsoft about it.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:18 PM   #8
solipsism
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by afin View Post
Interesting. Never realized it was a file type. Also surprised that apple doesn't rule over it with an iron fist.
Just like with iBeacon devices and BT, there is nothing preventing others from reading the data from Passbook passes.
solipsism is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:18 PM   #9
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Target Market

Now Passbook passes, something that's been utterly useless where I live, is available on a Windows Phone, when I'd rather play blind-mans bluff on the freeway rather than use a WinPhone.

It's like they know me.

Last edited by Daalseth; Apr 14, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Daalseth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:19 PM   #10
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion986 View Post
That's good news with passbook support. More phones use it more locations will incorporate it.
I don't think it's "Passbook support." It seems to me that it simply takes Passbook data and copies it into Microsoft Wallet. I don't think they'll be syncing with each other (although this isn't known right now).

It seems that Apple's complacency with Passbook has given Microsoft Wallet an edge in being the standard used in mobile wallets unless Apple reveals their long-rumoured mobile payment system and improve Passbook with iOS 8.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:21 PM   #11
eswinson
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afin View Post
I hope it becomes kind of a open file type like iCal
eswinson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:21 PM   #12
dugbug
macrumors 6502

File this under "unexpected"
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:23 PM   #13
solipsism
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
I don't think it's "Passbook support." It seems to me that it simply takes Passbook data and copies it into Microsoft Wallet. I don't think they'll be syncing with each other (although this isn't known right now).

It seems that Apple's complacency with Passbook has given Microsoft Wallet an edge in being the standard used in mobile wallets unless Apple reveals their long-rumoured mobile payment system and improve Passbook with iOS 8.

I think it's just HTML, CSS, and JavaScript data in a file.
solipsism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:26 PM   #14
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

I have never even seen passbook in action, in any situation. Evidently, I fly on the wrong airlines, take the wrong taxis and drink the wrong coffee.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:26 PM   #15
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
Isn't it already? Gruber's using it in his app, and even stars in a promotional video for Microsoft about it.
iCloud runs off of Windows Microsoft Azure, but I think OP meant [strikeSkyDrive[/strike] OneDrive and Xbox Live.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:28 PM   #16
kemal
macrumors regular

Good. Make it the de facto standard.

... But then, what if the MS version feels snappier?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:28 PM   #17
Mandesly
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
The MS and Apple love fest continues!
Actually, Apple use Microsoft Azure and Amazon for some iCloud services,
You can see it on your mac using Little Snitch or HandOff.
Mandesly is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:28 PM   #18
solipsism
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmark View Post
I have never even seen passbook in action, in any situation. Evidently, I fly on the wrong airlines, take the wrong taxis and drink the wrong coffee.
Maybe, but you also have to have actually allowed those passes to be added to PassBook. Some I get updated via a local app, like Starbucks, and others I get as an email attachment, like with an airline. Each pop up on my lock screen ready for me to slide access them when I'm within range. It's really very handy.
solipsism is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:30 PM   #19
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Didn't realize Passbook was open source just like FaceTiLOLOLOL
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:35 PM   #20
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
Didn't realize Passbook was open source just like FaceTiLOLOLOL
Really sad Apple changed their minds about that. FaceTime would be so much more useful if everyone had it.
Cougarcat is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:37 PM   #21
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandesly View Post
Actually, Apple use Microsoft Azure and Amazon for some iCloud services,
You can see it on your mac using Little Snitch or HandOff.
I mean totally outsourced to MS, from infrastructure to implementation!

Then MS abandons phone hardware ... Bing becomes the default search, Office gets pre-bundled on iPads! iTunes in the Windows distro! Wooo!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:41 PM   #22
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
Really sad Apple changed their minds about that. FaceTime would be so much more useful if everyone had it.
Case in point, Google Hangouts is available on iOS, Android and desktops. It just is a more complete text/video option that has the ability to have a larger audience.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:50 PM   #23
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

I'm okay with this.

I mean...I don't know anybody with a Windows phone but simple interoperability is probably encouraging to businesses at least.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:00 PM   #24
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Not a bad deal. MS and Apple have pretty solid licensing agreements. Samsung should take note...
ghostface147 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:04 PM   #25
iolinux333
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
Case in point, Google Hangouts is available on iOS, Android and desktops. It just is a more complete text/video option that has the ability to have a larger audience.
This.

I've started using Hangouts on my iPhone 'cause everyone else is starting to use it. I've *never* used Facetime. (facepalm for you, Apple)

Apple needs to open up their stuff or they're going right back to the '90s where I abandoned them for almost 20 years. The only thing that brought me back to an Apple product was that my MBAir can dual boot to Windows. When Apple laptops and desktops could run Apple software only, there was zero reason for me to spend money their way.

I only went to iPhone after checking that various Apps I *needed* including several Google and Microsoft apps were there, and also that Android users would have no trouble from what was happening at my end. I now need Android users to be able to see my iCloud stuff, and apple isn't letting that happen. I'm going to have to shift back away from iOS and iCloud and to something that more people use unless Apple lets some Android/Windows access pronto.

Last edited by iolinux333; Apr 14, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
iolinux333 is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion