Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fizzunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
I've been looking on eBay and there are cheap replacement Radeon 4670 256mb gpus going for around the $200 range.

Now considering I just want to use this old iMac as a monitor, supposing I use it as an external, the GPU from the new computer will be doing most of the work correct? Not the 4670 in the iMac?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I've been looking on eBay and there are cheap replacement Radeon 4670 256mb gpus going for around the $200 range.

Now considering I just want to use this old iMac as a monitor, supposing I use it as an external, the GPU from the new computer will be doing most of the work correct? Not the 4670 in the iMac?

I have no knowledge on Target Display Mode other than how to enable it. Perhaps Intell can chime in?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The GPU in the slave iMac would still be needed, but mostly in a passthrough sense. The basic framebuffer may be enough to be able to drive it. You could try removing the offending GPU kexts from the Extensions folder and starting up normally to see if it will work.

Fizzunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
The GPU in the slave iMac would still be needed, but mostly in a passthrough sense. The basic framebuffer may be enough to be able to drive it. You could try removing the offending GPU kexts from the Extensions folder and starting up normally to see if it will work.

Never used the terminal before :(

I quickly googled some commands, would this work?

> mkdir DisabledExtensions
> cd /System/Library/Extensions
> sudo mv ATIRadeonX2000.kext ~/DisabledExtensions
> sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Fizzunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Hey! Look at that it worked! I'm not in safe mode anymore!!!

So I can boot normally now, USB devices work. However my device still doesn't play any sound or movies. What exactly did removing the kext files do? Is it like removing drivers on a PC?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Removing that stopped the system from trying to use the advanced features of the GPU. Movies won't work and neither will anything that requires any video acceleration. Target Display Mode may work, but I'm not sure.

Fizzunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
So if the video acceleration is disabled, is the sound driver linked to that as well?

Either way I need a new gpu one way or the other huh...

I just left the house, but I'll try my ps3 when I get back.

Can't thank all the posters here enough for the help and support. Apple would've charged me $50 for what you all did on your own time! Much obliged.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think the sound would be linked to removing the video kexts. Not sure why that isn't working.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So if the video acceleration is disabled, is the sound driver linked to that as well?

Either way I need a new gpu one way or the other huh...

I just left the house, but I'll try my ps3 when I get back.

Can't thank all the posters here enough for the help and support. Apple would've charged me $50 for what you all did on your own time! Much obliged.

No problem. I found the Apple Technician Guide for your iMac which in depth describes the procedure for repair. Check it out here! Hope it helps :eek:

Fizzunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Removing that stopped the system from trying to use the advanced features of the GPU. Movies won't work and neither will anything that requires any video acceleration. Target Display Mode may work, but I'm not sure.

I can confirm for you that target display mode indeed does not work with the kexts removed :(

----------

No problem. I found the Apple Technician Guide for your iMac which in depth describes the procedure for repair. Check it out here! Hope it helps :eek:

Oh wow! I never thought something like this would be around on the internet. I've seen a few guides on how to do it so I have a rough idea. None of them mentioned an ESD wrist strap. I guess it makes sense to be extra careful especially with taking apart a mac - given how crammed in it all is.

----------

I don't think the sound would be linked to removing the video kexts. Not sure why that isn't working.

Darndest thing, I've been testing it a bit more...

iTunes - no sound
Movies - obviously won't play
youtube - no sound
moving the volume dial up and down - no sound
uTorrent telling me a download has finished - SOUND

-_-a

EDIT: Figured it out, something about running it on safemode switched on my AirPlay and all my sound was defaulting to an external device for some reason. After disabling it, seems to be ok.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I can confirm for you that target display mode indeed does not work with the kexts removed :(

----------

Oh wow! I never thought something like this would be around on the internet. I've seen a few guides on how to do it so I have a rough idea. None of them mentioned an ESD wrist strap. I guess it makes sense to be extra careful especially with taking apart a mac - given how crammed in it all is.

----------

Darndest thing, I've been testing it a bit more...

iTunes - no sound
Movies - obviously won't play
youtube - no sound
moving the volume dial up and down - no sound
uTorrent telling me a download has finished - SOUND

-_-a

EDIT: Figured it out, something about running it on safemode switched on my AirPlay and all my sound was defaulting to an external device for some reason. After disabling it, seems to be ok.

ESD bracelets discharge the static electricity from your body to prevent damage to components. I am going to guess you are going to try and reflow the board by baking or using a heat gun?

Fizzunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
For the curious, I set my PS3 back to 720p and I can confirm that TDM now works.

Even with 3D acceleration disabled by removing the KEXTs for the GPU.

Fizzunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Well for the time being not really. It still does everything else I need it to do.

If I really wanted to watch videos I could copy movies to the PS3 and play it through that haha.

Have the prices for the 2009 Radeons always been around the $300-500 range? I get the feeling it's not going to drop anytime soon.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Well for the time being not really. It still does everything else I need it to do.

If I really wanted to watch videos I could copy movies to the PS3 and play it through that haha.

Have the prices for the 2009 Radeons always been around the $300-500 range? I get the feeling it's not going to drop anytime soon.

That money could easily start to afford a new iMac. Since you were planning on upgrading here is your opportunity. Even though the GPU is busted the iMac is still worth something. Give it a shot at selling it and make sure you fully disclose what's going on with it.

Fizzunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Sorry to necro an old thread but I believe this is important.

I noticed that even with the KEXT files removed I can still view MP4 files in quick look.

This method even works if I convert any other format to MP4.

Unfortunately, perian has been discontinued so I don't know any other way to play files save for converting them using "any video converter".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.