Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An alleged photo of what appears to be a front panel from Apple's larger-screen iPhone 6 has surfaced on Chinese microblogging site Weibo (via iPhone.fr, Google Translation).

iphone_6_front_panel_weibo.jpg
The image appears to show an individual in a factory-type setting holding up an iPhone 5s next to a much larger front panel that contains similar characteristics, including cutouts for a front-facing camera, ambient light sensor, ear speaker, and home button. However, the front panel also features a notably thinner bezel, which is consistent with previous rumors about the iPhone 6's slimmer design.

While the validity of the image cannot be confirmed, the leak is the latest among a number of others recently. This past weekend, several photos reportedly showed the details on manufacturing molds for the iPhone 6, which was followed by a photo yesterday that hinted at a 4.7-inch display.

Last month, Japanese magazine MacFan published alleged design drawings of what appeared to be 4.7-inch and 5.6-inch iPhone 6 models, with a photo showing cases for the larger iPhone surfacing shortly afterward.

Apple is expected to launch the iPhone 6 later this year, which may ship in two different sizes: 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. Recent reports have indicated that the smaller 4.7 inch version will ship first in the fall, while the larger version may ship later this year or in early 2015 due to manufacturing challenges.

Along with a larger screen, both models of the next-generation iPhone are rumored to include a new A8 processor, Touch ID fingerprint sensor and an upgraded camera featuring optical image stabilization. A report yesterday from Jefferies analyst Peter Misek also stated that Apple is negotiating with wireless carriers to raise the price of the iPhone 6 by $100.

Update 8:07 AM: A second comparison photo has also been discovered on Weibo, showing the iPhone 6 panel next to an iPhone 5 or 5s that is turned on. The image is of relatively low quality, but does offer a fairly straight-on view that shows the larger iPhone accommodating a screen of approximately 4.7 inches.

iphone_6_front_panel_comp.jpg

Article Link: Photo of Alleged Front Panel from Larger-Screen iPhone 6 Surfaces [Updated]

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
Would this be the 5.5" one? It looks MASSIVE. Surely it's not the 4.3?

EDIT: Meant 4.7". Oops.

Last edited:

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
So it's happening. I hope the aluminum body will be different! Something like as on the schematics.
To all the people claiming this isn't real.. it is. I'm 99,9% sure. It's the same as every year when the leaks are starting.

And does that mean a possible june/july release? I just checked it and it's almost a month earlier than we saw iPhone 5 front panels.. :cool:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Seems plausible. The picture was taken with a wide angle lens and so the new larger iPhone front panel is in front so it appears larger in comparison to the black iPhone 5 next to/behind it.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
This makes me very sad: it is way too big. No way do I want to try to stuff that in my pocket or hold it in one hand or make a phone call with it.

I so hope that Apple, while catering to the hopefully temporary "give me a giant phone" insanity out there offers us an alternative top of the line model the size of a 4S or 5S.

jonyive4

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
how the hell are developers going to support this many layouts?
auto layout constraints are a headache to implement.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
The screen on that thing is 4.5", give or take. Quite possibly the rumored 4.7", but definitely not 5.5"

Yes, it's the 4,7'' and with almost the same dimension from yesterday. You have to keep the angle of the photo in mind..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.