Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I recently got a copy of SimCity 4 for Mac OS X 10.4. Since my Power Mac far surpasses the minimum requirements, I figured it should run quite admirably. But, it's far from it. It's really sad since the game performs better on my less powerful Celeron based Dell Latitude. The game is especially slow in larger, more populous cities.

If it helps, I got SimCity 4 Deluxe for Mac. My Power Mac is a Dual 1.25GHz based system with 2GB of RAM and ATi Radeon 9000 Pro graphics. I'm also running the game on lowest graphics settings and a 1080p monitor, but the game does not run at that resolution, but Mac OS X does.

Any ideas?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I recently got a copy of SimCity 4 for Mac OS X 10.4. Since my Power Mac far surpasses the minimum requirements, I figured it should run quite admirably. But, it's far from it. It's really sad since the game performs better on my less powerful Celeron based Dell Latitude. The game is especially slow in larger, more populous cities.

If it helps, I got SimCity 4 Deluxe for Mac. My Power Mac is a Dual 1.25GHz based system with 2GB of RAM and ATi Radeon 9000 Pro graphics. I'm also running the game on lowest graphics settings and a 1080p monitor, but the game does not run at that resolution, but Mac OS X does.

Any ideas?

Try using a smaller monitor if you have one. It may sound a bit outlandish, but worth a shot for testing purposes.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Try using a smaller monitor if you have one. It may sound a bit outlandish, but worth a shot for testing purposes.

I think I should try that, I have a monitor with a 1024x768 resolution, and I do find that OS X performs a bit better on this monitor.

Never thought of it until you brought it back up.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
You find Osx performs better at the lower resolution????
What??
Did I miss something there?? Mate it's a desktop, not a fully fledged 3d game ordeal.

Cheers

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
The Mac version of SC4 is just an inherently badly optimised port - it runs agonisingly slow on my G4 as well. (Dual 1.33 GHz, 2GB memory, ATi Radeon 9800XT 256MB)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I think I should try that, I have a monitor with a 1024x768 resolution, and I do find that OS X performs a bit better on this monitor.

Never thought of it until you brought it back up.

My G5 stutter on some graphical applications with dual displays connected and I have an ATI Radeon 9600 XT with 128 MB of VRAM. It is simply the strain on the GPU being relieved by driving less pixels.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Can you expand a little on what you just said? I ran 2 displays also on my pmg5 with an x800 mac card and never had these issues. Esp on the desktop. Sure you can get tearing and jaggies in a 3d game if you've selected more options than your hardware will allow for, but I've never seen issues on the desktop. I also had a crappy fx5200 and the desktop wax fine with that. Don't ask about 3 d games with that card though ;)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Can you expand a little on what you just said? I ran 2 displays also on my pmg5 with an x800 mac card and never had these issues. Esp on the desktop. Sure you can get tearing and jaggies in a 3d game if you've selected more options than your hardware will allow for, but I've never seen issues on the desktop. I also had a crappy fx5200 and the desktop wax fine with that. Don't ask about 3 d games with that card though ;)

When the GPU and CPU are getting taxed you will see it like video editing.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
The Mac version of SC4 is just an inherently badly optimised port - it runs agonisingly slow on my G4 as well. (Dual 1.33 GHz, 2GB memory, ATi Radeon 9800XT 256MB)

I tried The Lord of the Rings return of the king game on my late 2005 DC PMG5. I got about 2-3 frames per second...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.