Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portanav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Trinidad & Tobago
Hi,
Why does my iPad screen suddenly go black or blank when in use? It does not matter what app is in use, I could be reading with Adobe reader or any other app and suddenly the screen goes black, forcing me to push the center button and renter my lock code.
To help stop this I have to regularly slide the screen a bit.

Does anyone have an explanation for this or has experience the same?

Thanks,
Michael.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If this happens more than once or twice per day, I'd first try restoring the iPad and setting it up as new. If the problem still persists after a restore, I'd contact Apple and have it looked at. If it happens less than once per day, I'd call it about within the tolerable range of system crashes. For some reason, iOS 7 is just more unstable than previous iOS versions.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If screen auto-lock is set to default (2 mins) then it's possible it's the screen going to sleep due to touch inactivity. I do a lot of reading and 2 mins goes by pretty quick and the screen has blanked out on me as well.

Solution, set it to more than 10-15 mins of inactivity. If you touch the screen, the timer starts all over again.

portanav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Trinidad & Tobago
If screen auto-lock is set to default (2 mins) then it's possible it's the screen going to sleep due to touch inactivity. I do a lot of reading and 2 mins goes by pretty quick and the screen has blanked out on me as well.

Solution, set it to more than 10-15 mins of inactivity. If you touch the screen, the timer starts all over again.

You were correct. I changed the timing and have not had the problem since.

Regards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.