Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
What do you guys think of this pairing?

I know Speck gets a lot of crap, but I'm inclined to give them a shot seeing as one of their older shell cases did a decent job protecting my old Pro. Regular cleaning meant debris damage was kept to a minimal, but after 5-odd years the laptop was in a better condition with that case then it would have been without.

Unless someone can recommend something better? I just need the machine protected on the go, traveling in London sucks at rush hour, there is no such thing as personal space and the way people cram onto the tube is crazy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 12.19.58.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 12.19.58.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 12.23.25.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 12.23.25.png
    218.1 KB · Views: 252

porthole2

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2014

I know Speck gets a lot of crap, but I'm inclined to give them a shot seeing as one of their older shell cases did a decent job protecting my old Pro. Regular cleaning meant debris damage was kept to a minimal, but after 5-odd years the laptop was in a better condition with that case then it would have been without.

New to Mac world and watching all this close. My rMBP replaced a 3 year old Costco Sony laptop at more then 4 times the cost. The Sony - I kept it in an average bag, and didn't care too much about scratches.

The rMBP well it looks too nice to get beat up.

I got one of the Speck covers in clear. I like the way it fits and doesn't add much to the size. And, for me at least, it allows a better grip then the aluminum shell.
I also picked up the fitted incase bag. It is minimal size and fits perfect. The interior has an approximate 3/4" cushion surrounding the rMBP's perimeter. Nice and snug.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
New to Mac world and watching all this close. My rMBP replaced a 3 year old Costco Sony laptop at more then 4 times the cost. The Sony - I kept it in an average bag, and didn't care too much about scratches.

The rMBP well it looks too nice to get beat up.

I got one of the Speck covers in clear. I like the way it fits and doesn't add much to the size. And, for me at least, it allows a better grip then the aluminum shell.
I also picked up the fitted incase bag. It is minimal size and fits perfect. The interior has an approximate 3/4" cushion surrounding the rMBP's perimeter. Nice and snug.

Yeah, it's better to be secure then expose the laptop to the elements. I cringe every time I even put this laptop down in case it scrapes against something and marks.

porthole2

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2014
I just went looking on the Apple store site and cannot find the exact products I picked up at a physical apple store.

The links I found and all the negative reviews I saw do not seem to apply to the items I got.

Time will tell with the Speck cover, but so far, it fits perfect, the tabs seem fine and I don't see how they would scratch the unit. On Speck's website they apparently heard the complaints about installing the cover and produced a video showing the correct way to remove and install the cover.

I am hoping that like all my previous Apple products, in a few years I will be able to sell this unit for a decent price and upgrade. So I would like the shell to stay as nice as possible.

The Incase bag that is listed on the website, although similar, is not the same. And I find none of the issues listed in the reviews with the bag I purchased. In fact, I am very pleased with this one, considering how many laptop bags I have bought over the years.

My bag does not have the single side zipper, nor the "charging port" zipper. It also has thick padding around the interior perimeter that the rMBP fits in snuggly, affording decent protection to all four corners. Better than any spot bag I have previously purchased.

Mortis360

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2013
Norway
I got a Incase Neoprene sleeve for my rMBP15" and are quite happy with that, otherwhise I got a Lowepro backpack and a wheely cabin bag from Gestobags to put it in when I´m going somewhere longer.

aroych2

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Booq Cobra Slim discontinued!!

I had one and had to give it away to someone dear. Cant seem to find a replacement online since it has been discontinued. Please pm if anyone is willing to sell.

Macforcollege

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2013
Tan/Brown Leather Messenger Bag for business casual internship in NYC

I need it to fit my Retina 15' and my Ipad 4th generation as well as paper and pens. I am looking to spend under 175$.

cmmaia

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
I've had the hard graft X Pocket Macbook Sleeve for over a month now and it's great. Very supple and ample protection provided you're not trashing it around. Pricey though.

madisonfaye

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
To the ladies of MacRumors....

I just ordered this bag from the Apple store
HD523

Anyone here own one? How has it held up? Haven't seen it in person but sooo excited!

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD

Anyone here own one? How has it held up? Haven't seen it in person but sooo excited!

While I'm not a lady... my gf is :p

She got the same bag and had to return it. It's quite large and she found just using a cheap neoprene Incase sleeve was easier to carry her laptop around.

She still went out and bought a Michael Kors wallet + purse (small) to make up for the fact she didn't get the bag lol

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York

I have this in black and it's been holding up great on my end. I guess it just depends on the person and what they feel is needed for their laptop. I got this bag so I could carry it around when I go back to school and it holds up great. Sure it's big, but I like that in a bag anyway because it could carry my laptop plus a few other things I need for school. It's convenient for me.

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
Im looking for a stiff tight fit sleeve for my mbp 15" retina... I want to be able to use it as a lap desk between my legs and the mbp thus my desire for it not to be awfully bendy. A nice design would be a bonus, rather not have a boring one.

Needs to be able to ship internationally... Any suggestions?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
What do y'all think about this? I've only had it on for a couple months but I seriously love it.

A few questions about this

• Do you have a link or the name of the product?
  • Do you think that it makes the machine run any hotter?
  • Was it difficult to apply straight without any air bubbles or whatever?
  • How much friction does it add? Is it smooth like normal hard plastic, or sort of more rubbery?

Thanks!

PmmDan1310

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2014
Salt Lake City
A few questions about this

• Do you have a link or the name of the product?
  • Do you think that it makes the machine run any hotter?
  • Was it difficult to apply straight without any air bubbles or whatever?
  • How much friction does it add? Is it smooth like normal hard plastic, or sort of more rubbery?

Thanks!

1. BodyGuardz UltraTough Clear Skin
2. No
3. Not difficult to get straight or without bubbles. But it took probably about 30 minutes to do the entire thing (top, bottom, and wrist pad)
4. I would't say it added any friction. It's definitely got some grip to it but only in my hand. It still slides on my desk, or couch, or lap like one normally would.

All products have lifetime replacement warranty but I don't think you could do much to destroy this stuff.

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I picked up a Booq Taipan Spacesuit for my rMBP 13". I initially had the Booq Mamba, which is very well made, but which was WAY too big for the rMBP 13". The fit of the Taipan is considerably better. There's still some excess room, since it's also designed to fit the Air, but I'd say overall it's pretty acceptable.

Still, I wish the fit was *perfect* instead of just acceptable, and it does annoy me that it's so hard to find a sleeve made specifically for the rMBP 13".

I think the only one I've come across is the Cote & Ciel that imageWIS linked to a couple of posts ago, but it doesn't show up on the Apple store in the U.S. and I'm not aware of anywhere to buy it in North America.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
I picked up a Booq Taipan Spacesuit for my rMBP 13". I initially had the Booq Mamba, which is very well made, but which was WAY too big for the rMBP 13". The fit of the Taipan is considerably better. There's still some excess room, since it's also designed to fit the Air, but I'd say overall it's pretty acceptable.

Still, I wish the fit was *perfect* instead of just acceptable, and it does annoy me that it's so hard to find a sleeve made specifically for the rMBP 13".

I think the only one I've come across is the Cote & Ciel that imageWIS linked to a couple of posts ago, but it doesn't show up on the Apple store in the U.S. and I'm not aware of anywhere to buy it in North America.

I bought it in an Apple store in NYC.

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
New York City

Unless someone can recommend something better? I just need the machine protected on the go, traveling in London sucks at rush hour, there is no such thing as personal space and the way people cram onto the tube is crazy.

Don't do it. Also Herschel bags are crap. They'll fall apart in a few months. Get a crumpler bag instead:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HB622VC/A/crumpler-15-pinnacle-of-horror-bag-for-macbook-pro

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Just ordered one today for the mbpr 13" refurb I just purchased so will let you know when both arrive

These just came out, and look like they're actually made for the 13" MBPr. I was wondering if anyone had tried them out yet.

The previous model seemed to be hit or miss as far as the 13" MBPr was concerned.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
Jk

Viper sleeve 15
Love, durable, magnetic and te opening does 2 things: let the air in/ out, one hand sliding MacBook into te case.
Decal girl stiker, :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 208
Last edited:

jayrammac

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
I really like that Booq Viper case - they do a Viper bag also which I am looking at (though can't work out if it is a bit girly lol).

Anyway I bought the Cote&Ciet zipped sleeve from the Apple store for my rMBP turning up tomorrow...

The only thing I am not sure about is whether having a zip on the sleeve is wise - whilst this sleeve is supposed to have a 'non scratch' zip, I do wonder whether it will be possible to really avoid snagging the rMBP on the zip when it is put in the sleeve and taken out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.