Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:31 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pioneer Brings Apple CarPlay to Existing In-Dash Receivers

In line with earlier reports, Pioneer today announced it is bringing Apple's CarPlay technology to its existing product line. CarPlay will be added to the company's five 2014 NEX in-dash multimedia receivers via a firmware update that will be made available in early summer 2014.
Quote:
"Pioneer's years of expertise integrating smartphone connectivity into the automotive environment has provided us the opportunity to be among the first to offer CarPlay to drivers," said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. "By providing an aftermarket option, Pioneer's 2014 in-dash multimedia systems give many iPhone owners the ability to add CarPlay to their current vehicles."
Pioneer in-dash multimedia systems compatible with Apple's CarPlay include the $1400 AVIC-8000NEX, the $1200 AVIC-7000NEX, the $900 AVIC-6000NEX, the $750 AVIC-5000NEX and the $700 AVH-4000NEX. These receivers are available from authorized Pioneer dealers such as Best Buy, Crutchfield and Car Toys.

Introduced earlier this year, CarPlay is an iOS-driven system that allows an iPhone to tie into the in-dash display of a car, providing Siri-controlled voice access to features like Maps, phone, messages and music. The technology initially debuted as a factory-installed feature in new 2014 models from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo.

CarPlay can be added to existing systems as the technology works in conjunction with BlackBerry's QNX Car Platform, which powers many existing in-car infotainment systems. Beside Pioneer, car audio manufacturer Alpine may begin selling its own aftermarket in-dash entertainment systems that will support Apple's CarPlay feature. Alpine's CarPlay receivers are expected to debut this fall in Europe and the U.S. with a base price of $500 to $700.

Article Link: Pioneer Brings Apple CarPlay to Existing In-Dash Receivers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:33 AM   #2
StoneJack
macrumors 6502

This is great news, CarPlay is on Pioneer and by fall on Alpine (in addition to those cars which come with CarPlay preinstalled).
Its going to be big!
I love Alpine sound, as I have installed second Alpine headunit DIY, however both are 1 DIN type, first with CD and second is CD-less, all Bluetooth and USB, their sound is incredibly good. Having said that, Pioneer is very big player in touchscreen headunits. Now we need Kenwood, JVC and maybe Clarion on board and the mission is accomplished as they are like 90% of afterunit market. As for Sony, I have doubts they will support a rival platform though.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:38 AM   #3
CaryMacGuy
macrumors 6502

I can spend only about $800 to get CarPlay functionality in my 2012 Focus...vs $25,000 for a new car...this is good news :-)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:42 AM   #4
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

damn some of those units are $1400!
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:43 AM   #5
2010mini
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
damn some of those units are $1400!
And with car play, finally be worth it
2010mini is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:44 AM   #6
chrisapple116
Banned

pretty sweet upgrade for those who just bought a unit
chrisapple116 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:47 AM   #7
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Not sure how much I'd need this, but it will probably be increasingly prevalent. I wouldn't be interested in after market upgrade, if my next vehicle has it fine, if not, no big deal.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:49 AM   #8
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Fuuuuuuuuuuu......... Have an AppRadio 3. I want CarPlay support.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:53 AM   #9
kyjaotkb
macrumors 6502

For less money, you can also dash-mount an iPad and use it at home... These prices are ridiculous!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:53 AM   #10
akatsuki
macrumors regular

My only question is how fast/smooth will this run? I desperately want to replace the Uconnect in my Chrysler with something that actually is decent, but want it to be as fluid as an iPad in speed, etc.
akatsuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:56 AM   #11
bigcat
macrumors regular

So this will be just a software update, no wires or any other hardware/wiring to add?
bigcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:57 AM   #12
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

You can get the cheapest one for $550 on eBay. Once the firmware update hits and I see done reviews I'll prob bite the bullet and get it
CrAkD is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:04 AM   #13
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

Alpine and Pioneer and Sony oh my!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:08 AM   #14
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

My current car is over 10 years old, so excuse my question. Since when were we able to do firmware updates to car stereos? Is it done over wifi or cell or do you need to take it into a shop to have the firmware upgraded?

I think this is awesome that means stereos do not become obsolete as fast, but I am interested in the logistics of this.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:15 AM   #15
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
My current car is over 10 years old, so excuse my question. Since when were we able to do firmware updates to car stereos? Is it done over wifi or cell or do you need to take it into a shop to have the firmware upgraded?

I think this is awesome that means stereos do not become obsolete as fast, but I am interested in the logistics of this.
If you look at the image above you can see the little "LTE" on the receiver. I imagine most are ota, but if the unit has USB that may be an option also.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:18 AM   #16
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

boom!

i was the guy who contacted Pioneer and got the first report/quote when i emailed them about CarPlay and whether they would support it, say in a new AppRadio model. this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.

At the Geneva Motor Show, Apple announced CarPlay and has finalized and shared the CarPlay specification.

Currently, Pioneer is studying the possibility to implement CarPlay compatibility with both existing and future products.

Sincerely,
[redacted]
Customer Service Representative
...some of the posters here doubted this meant anything, but there ya go -- coming this summer. im certain they will next bring it to the latest AppRadio model, which is their lower-tier, touch-based iOS unit head, which typically retails for $300-$400.
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:19 AM   #17
Krevnik
macrumors 68020

Quote:

These are aftermarket units with USB/SD and all sorts of goodies as they represent Pioneer's flagship models. The firmware can be updated using the USB ports it provides (or the SD slot, not sure which in this case).
Krevnik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:22 AM   #18
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
Fuuuuuuuuuuu......... Have an AppRadio 3. I want CarPlay support.
it'll happen. hopefully we get a firmware update next. but if not, even spending another $300-400 for the AR 4 is cheaper than getting one of the top-tier CP-enabled head units.
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:23 AM   #19
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Are these all LTE enabled?

iPad Air 2 | Silver | 64GB
iPhone 6 Plus | Silver | 64GB
2012 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | Fusion | 32GB RAM | 680MX
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:23 AM   #20
Nicksd84
macrumors regular

I wonder if they will bring any video support to carplay. And no not while driving, but I spend some stationary time in my car where it would be nice.
Nicksd84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:25 AM   #21
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
i was the guy who contacted Pioneer and got the first report/quote when i emailed them about CarPlay and whether they would support it, say in a new AppRadio model.

...some of the posters here doubted this meant anything, but there ya go -- coming this summer. im certain they will next bring it to the latest AppRadio model, which is their lower-tier, touch-based iOS unit head, which typically retails for $300-$400.
Well, I guess occasionally rumors on MR are actually correct! Who'd have thunk?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:25 AM   #22
liavman
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Well, given that it runs an operating system, it can stake a claim to be a computer as much as the smart phone and so the firmware update need not be to flash some FPGA or anything. It may just be some software loaded onto it.

Once you view it in that light, getting the sw on it becomes the trivial part. You can get as fancy as OTA but that is not needed.

Having said that, the Pioneer announcement is pretty cool.

This makes me think about another possibility. Alpine always made removable stereos. You just pull it out and take it with you. ( one time, just one time, I forgot and damn it it got stoen. It was so easy for the thief to pull it out too.. but I digress ). When you pull it out what remains are the speakers.

Why not extend that concept to this. QNX runs on blackberry devices today, right? Why not have a display, speakers and microphone as one unit and have a removable computer to acts as the QNX host.

There are probably some Raspberry Pi enthusiasts putting together such things.
liavman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:26 AM   #23
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Solves it for me. Although I love Pioneers interface over Alpine, I prefer Alpine brand. Hoping Alpine keeps prices low and doesn't gouge consumers like Pioneer by forcing you to buy NEX line when I basically just want AppRadio with Carplay.
bacaramac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:26 AM   #24
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjaotkb View Post
For less money, you can also dash-mount an iPad and use it at home... These prices are ridiculous!
theyre different products. the top-tier head units are nav-equipped (wifi ipad doesnt have GPS chip) DVD entertainment decks + HD radio that can run a bunch of audio equipment in your car like external subs, external GPS antenna, in-car mic, rear camera, steering-wheel controls, etc. may not be your cup of tea but the top units have been this price for a decade, long before CarPlay existed.

also, mounting an ipad in your car will require either: 1) expensive custom install work to hack apart your dash, or 2) a ghetto mount that holds it up in the air, which looks ridiculous, invites theft, and cant drive exterior audio equipment.

Last edited by mdelvecchio; Apr 15, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:28 AM   #25
RadioGuy01
macrumors newbie

OR, I could buy a $300 iPad Mini and Velcro it to the dashboard.

I must be missing something here.
RadioGuy01 is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion