Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I have an iPad Air with Verizon service and have been paying $20 a month for 1GB. Lately I've been reaching my data limit at or around the 15th of the month. I feel like $20 for just 1GB is too expensive. Are there any options for a better data plan with any other carrier, like Straight Talk, T-Mobile or....? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
The Data plan for Verizon is expensive, but I choose a Verizon iPad because their LTE coverage is significantly better. I also have a T-mobile Micro Sim.

T-Mobile's rates are a bit better. What I would recommend is to get a Micro Sim from them (free) and try out their 200MB free monthly plan to see if their LTE service is in your area. That way you don't have to pay anything to test it out.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I added a UL voice/data line via an AOL last year. Sure, it's $40 per month. I went through 6.5GB of data over the weekend using mobile hotspot to watch two Coachella sessions on YouTube on my rMBP while in rural NW WA - 15 times faster than the lame DSL that was in my hotel.

Way better than spending 1/2 as much for 1-2GB data IMO. Within my TOS, for any haters - there were maybe 2 or 3 other VZW data users anywhere near me at the time (maybe) :D. Get a VZW line with UL data - not cheap, but it's UL data with no restrictions to MH and you'd sign up for a 1-year contract when VZW transfers the AOL line...

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The Data plan for Verizon is expensive, but I choose a Verizon iPad because their LTE coverage is significantly better. I also have a T-mobile Micro Sim.

T-Mobile's rates are a bit better. What I would recommend is to get a Micro Sim from them (free) and try out their 200MB free monthly plan to see if their LTE service is in your area. That way you don't have to pay anything to test it out.

Just for clarity, it's a nano-SIM you need from T-Mobile. If you check their website, they might be running promotions for free SIMs, otherwise they're $10. Way easier to order online than to deal with the hard sell at the local T-Mobile store. Took me half an hour to get out of the T-Mobile store with my SIM last year when the new Airs came out. Took me about a week to get a SIM in the mail a couple months ago.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Just for clarity, it's a nano-SIM you need from T-Mobile. If you check their website, they might be running promotions for free SIMs, otherwise they're $10. Way easier to order online than to deal with the hard sell at the local T-Mobile store. Took me half an hour to get out of the T-Mobile store with my SIM last year when the new Airs came out. Took me about a week to get a SIM in the mail a couple months ago.

Yep, I keep getting Nano Sim and Micro Sim mixed up. I didn't get lucky and get mine during the promo for a free one. I saw it just the other day. I took it for a test drive yesterday and used my iPad for several hours. Common web surfing eats up very little data so the free 200MB should be good enough for many people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.