Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
I get the feeling that Apple will announce the new iPhone for WWDC instead of waiting till September.

I don't think so. If you look at the history of iPhone leaks, they always tend to start in full force come April. Almost like clockwork.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
If there is no design change on the front plate and just an increase in screen size then I think I will keep my 5s. I hope this is just a rumor because I've been hoping for a major redesign.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I agree.. and we're not talking about "just an extra row of icons" this time. For two new form factors, you would think they would give developers enough notice.

Not if it's the same aspect ratio - developers don't need to do anything.

So could be less work than iPhone 5 was - and I really think apple will keep 16:9 ratio - it plays so nicely with Apple TV

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
No details on the capacity? It should be written right on them.

ENHANCE!

jAixlVoHpqTAp.png

1367305680-1.21GigaWatts01.jpg

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Why Apple releasing these controlled leaks ? Are they genuinely this nervous ?

Why is Samesung paying for people to write anything...anything!?!!... In a desperate attempt to gain market share from the Tsunami phone?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
That is such a large, wasteful tray. Is the manufacturing industry really this inefficient?
Depends on your understanding of efficiency. Those trays are probably optimized for the production process, not raw storage.

They way the batteries are stored allows a mechanical arm to pick them directly from the tray and move them on the shortest way to the housing, without having to rotate them. And the shifted alignment provides enough space for one machine to pick up all five batteries at once.

May look inefficient in terms of storage capacity, but is quite the opposite in terms of production throughput.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Battery life

What about battery size? Do we have any data on them? If Apple can get more than 8h on 4g web browsing on a small 1600 battery, the numbers for a big cousin of the 4" model should be fantastic, despite the larger screen.

Bigger phone = bigger internals = bigger screen = much bigger battery.

If they could engineer such amazing things in a such small device (Sony can't. Samsung can't. HTC can't) I barely can wait to see what they can do with a bigger phone.

Slightly (if it is at all) overclocked SoC and go berserk on battery?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
So put it in landscape mode. Problem solved.

Then the amount of text is limited. Also, not all apps re-orient themselves when the iPhone is in landscape. The problem is that the iPhone has been made to fit the stupid wide video format that TV manufacturers foisted on everybody. I use my iPhone as an information portal, not as a substitute for a movie screen.

Ericstephen

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
Battery leaks by apple. Apple battery leaks.

Im surprised a competitor /apple hater hasn't run with an ad/article or something because once implanted a thought is hard to remove in millions of people.

Maybe apples new ad company will run an ad campaign ,

:apple: unlike other companies our products don't leak.

Its truthful in a round about sort of way haha

the lawyers would have a fit? :D
Sure. "Our products don't leak. Here at Samsung, we tell you 4 months ahead of time what we will be producing, but very few in the media care." Sounds like a brilliant ad campaign. Making fun of Apple for having thousands of media outlets guessing what their new phone will look like a year before it's released. How many people are talking about the S6 right now? None. However, the iphone6 rumors gained traction 2 months after the 5S' release.

Kikilea

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2017
As a tech support rep for a cell phone company I’m aware of how lithium ion batteries have a certain number of charges in them before they become “consumed”. So I expect an older phone to eventually need replacing because of the battery being consumed. Apple does tell u if the battery is “bad” under settings and battery (it will have a warning that ur battery may need maintenance and to contact Apple) and my 6 displayed this so I was well aware my battery was shot and used a mophie power pack at all times so I didn’t need them to throttle my phone so that’s annoying. My phone was slow and I chalked it up to “it’s an old phone” which is essentially true. My problem with this is transparency...had I known that just using a power pack was going to keep me juiced up but still cause my phone to be throttled I would have paid $79 to get it replaced or upgrade to my new X sooner, but I was just like “ok well let me use my charging pack.” And if a customers IPhone was telling them the battery was bad and they didn’t want to pay for new battery or upgrade I always recommend a charging pack so to find out that yeah charging pack gave them juice but apple was throttling them is annoying,because had I known that, a lot of wasted time trying to work around a bad battery could have been saved. But the point is they do tell u under the battery section if ur battery is bad and to call Apple and if u do that they do advise of battery replacement options. Of course they didn’t tell u it’s throttled but when it comes down to it the bottom line is the battery is bad and it needs replaced or u can get a new phone. My gripe is disclosure so that consumers know all the options available to them: 1) get new battery 2) upgrade 3) use a charging pack but you will experience throttling issues. Another thing that kills me about this, in hindsight, is all the times a customer called in blaming us (the cellphone carrier) for slowing their phone down even if they weren’t over the 22gb at 4g speed cap on an unlimited plan that would cause “throttling.” The blame in those cases was probably Apple, but we were getting the blame and accused of conspiracy.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I think you are in the wrong Thread. This Thread isn't for the new battery throttling issue and is 3 years old.

Catch the current thread--

Reactions: Phonephreak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.