Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I activated the Calendar option under Settings-Mail, Contacts, Calendars-[My Gmail account] in the hope that my calendar entries (which are all in my iCloud calendar called "Home") would simply be synchronised to the Google Calendar.

Instead, a new calendar, entitled by my Gmail address, appeared on the phone with only the entries that I have in my Google calendar.

Is there no way to synchronise the iCloud and Google calendars so both are identical?

TIA
Philip

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland

Currently, that Exchange method is only good if you have a paid Google Apps account.

Anyway, I don't believe that's what the OP was asking.

To the OP: the app doesn't work that way and never did. You sync a calendar with one server. There are other threads here about syncing an iCloud calendar with a Google calendar but that's not really what you want, is it? And if so...why?

Are you just trying to get what you've got in your iCloud calendar to a Google calendar because you want to use a Google calendar instead?

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Syncing with Google Calendar - why is a separate calendar created?

Thanks for the help. I was hoping I could have what's in my phone's (icloud) calendar also in my Gmail calendar so I could see my calendar events om my PC at work but that appears impossible so I'll drop it.

Thanks again.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Thanks for the help. I was hoping I could have what's in my phone's (icloud) calendar also in my Gmail calendar so I could see my calendar events om my PC at work but that appears impossible so I'll drop it.

Thanks again.

It is possible to view the same calendar on the both iPhone and on the PC in (at least) two ways:
  1. Using iCloud
  2. Using Gmail
These two accounts will not share data with one another, so choose one and use it exclusively (iCloud OR Gmail) if you want the simplest set up. It sounds like you already have your data in iCloud, so I recommend sticking with it.

If you want to use iCloud:
  • On the iPhone - use the iCloud settings to activate calendar (sounds like you have this set up)
  • On the PC - go to iCloud.com to view calendar or use iCloud Control Panel to sync iCloud calendars with Outlook

If you want to use Gmail Calendar:
  • On the iPhone - use the Mail, Contacts, Calendars settings to activate Calendars in your Gmail account
  • On the PC - Visit your Gmail calendar on the web like you mentioned

If for some reason you want to move your Calendar data from iCloud to Gmail, that can also be done, but iCloud and Gmail accounts will always be distinct and will not sync with each other, so pick one and use it.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
It is possible to view the same calendar on the both iPhone and on the PC in (at least) two ways:
  1. Using iCloud
  2. Using Gmail
These two accounts will not share data with one another, so choose one and use it exclusively (iCloud OR Gmail) if you want the simplest set up. It sounds like you already have your data in iCloud, so I recommend sticking with it.

If you want to use iCloud:
  • On the iPhone - use the iCloud settings to activate calendar (sounds like you have this set up)
  • On the PC - go to iCloud.com to view calendar or use iCloud Control Panel to sync iCloud calendars with Outlook

If you want to use Gmail Calendar:
  • On the iPhone - use the Mail, Contacts, Calendars settings to activate Calendars in your Gmail account
  • On the PC - Visit your Gmail calendar on the web like you mentioned

If for some reason you want to move your Calendar data from iCloud to Gmail, that can also be done, but iCloud and Gmail accounts will always be distinct and will not sync with each other, so pick one and use it.

Yep what he said. You can export either calendar and import to the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.