Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we progress further into 2014, iPhone 6 rumors have begun to pick up, with case designs, schematics, molds, and alleged iPhone parts surfacing over the past few weeks to give hints at what Apple's larger iPhone might look like.

Today Japanese site Mac Otakara [Google Translation] (via 9to5Mac) has shared some additional images of iPhone 6 mockups and accessories being displayed in several different booths at the Hong Kong Electronics Fair.

One image shows a physical iPhone 6 mockup that has allegedly been used to create cases for the next version of the iPhone next to an iPhone case made using the dummy version.

iphone6dummy.jpg
While few details can be gleaned from the model, it does appear to be larger in size with rectangular volume buttons and a sleep/wake power button on the right hand side of the device, which is in line with some previous rumors. It also possesses a round camera flash, as was described in schematics that leaked in March.

iphone6dummy2.jpg
The site has also published a video displaying some lightning cables aimed at the iPhone 6 as well as a close-up look at the iPhone 6 mockup.

It is unclear whether the mockups and the cases are representative of the actual iPhone 6, but thus far, the iPhone 6 leaks coming out of Asia have all shared many of the same design similarities outlined above.

Apple's iPhone 6 is expected to come in two sizes, at 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. The majority of leaks we have seen so far have depicted the 4.7-inch version, as it is said to be in production for a September or October release. The 5.5 version has seen some production delays, which could see it being released later in 2014 or in early 2015.

In addition to two display sizes, the iPhone 6 is expected to include an upgraded A8 processor, camera improvements in the form of optical image stabilization, slimmer bezels, a thinner chassis, and Touch ID support.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Mockups and Case Designs on Display at Hong Kong Electronics Fair

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
They used to make that kind of "dummies" for that rumoured "teardrop"-shaped iPhone 5, too. Case manufacturers do not always wait for Apple to reveal privileged information to them before starting designing. They just happen to follow the same (often unreliable) rumors as us.

iphone_5_specs_2.jpg

iphone5mock3.jpg

iphone5case-110729.jpg

So take this with a grain of salt...

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Get some putty, plug these holes because we have another leak!!!

Oh wait, Apple ran out of putty. So much for doubling down on secrecy.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I guess Apple is content with that same stupid hardware design. Like their iMacs.

I guess they go through a few versions and just settle on a 1 version. Forever.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
These look different than the front panel leaked earlier today..
Perhaps the front panel is actually from a mockup iPhone!

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
in the video at 0:05 seconds its shown iphone 5 and iphone 4.7" and 5.4" i think, BUT almost no bezel in sides and NOT so big what we saw in the early rumours today

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I'm going to use one of these mock up dummies as one of my five Office 365 devices. Have some spare licences to use up from my $99 subscription.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
That looks like a garage CNC carved chunk of aluminum not an official mock up.
It doesn't have the new Double flash either

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I guess Apple is content with that same stupid hardware design. Like their iMacs.

While I do agree with you to some degree, Porsche has been doing this for awhile now with their cars. I guess Apple thinks they're getting closer and closer to an ideal design...

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
They used to make that kind of "dummies" for that rumoured "teardrop"-shaped iPhone 5, too. Case manufacturers do not always wait for Apple to reveal privileged information to them before starting designing. They just happen to follow the same (often unreliable) rumors as us.

Lots of salt since these don't have the lightning connector on the bottom....

Those mockups weren't even close to the iPhone 5 design...but a lot of people believed it...

Last edited:

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

Guess you didn't catch the "take with a grain of salt" part. Everything is a rumor at this point. Hence the name of the site. ;)

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

I wish that was the new design coming this year. So beautiful.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
there are a tons of chinese android phone makers copying iPhone and iPad. basically i could pick one each week which just pops up out of nowhere and has it's device for sale. looks pretty much like the iphone5 (it was ip4 styled 2-3 years ago).

could it be possible that i see one of those clones, or the equipment/molds/frames/parts needed to manufacture them instead of the real thing?

what does it take to get stuff together based on the most recent rumours from existing, readily available parts and do some outside styling? they could be selling some 1000s as the next gen iPhone is announced.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
When the most exciting thing at your booth is a mockup of an unreleased phone, then....

Ouch.

You say that but that's where they sell hundreds of thousands of units to distributors that then resell to vendors that you find 1,000 sellers on eBay selling the exact same case for 99p each...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.